Start by marking “The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,332 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Ancient mythologies are brought to life in the most comprehensive coverage yet produced. Contains 550 images, including illustrations of classic stories. Includes the classical mythology of ancient Greece and Rome; the fairytale myths of the celtic world; and, from Northern Europe, tales of Germanic gods, Nordic warriors, and fearsome giants.
Published January 1st 2005 by Hermes House (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology

Aaron
The book is oversize and has over 1,000 entries over hundreds of pages. It's bulky, but it's lavishly illustrated which makes the full size worthwhile, if you're into those kinds of things.

I think the Goodreads summary can give as good a feel as anything for this book: "An authoritative A to Z of the mythical figures of two great continents, with copious cross-references." Yeah, those "two great continents" are, you guessed it, Europe and Asia. I have to downrate this book for calling itself th
Kevin
Jun 29, 2007 Kevin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: historical
Another one of those Gold colored books you see in the discount bin at Barnes and Nobel or Borders, this book is an attempt to organize mythological/religious characters from all around the world.

What's mythology to one person is religion to the next, and this book does a fine job of demonstrating key points in each character's history.

Finding this book now may be a trial, especially under the current ISBN, however, a search of the authors Arthur Cotterell & Rachel Storm return a new book en
Erica
My most treasured book (^___^)
Wayne
As with most encyclopedias, this is not the sort of book which one reads from cover to cover.
AS with a dictionary one either goes straight to the topic needed or one browses and cross references....and Time flies.
I have been doing BOTH since late March when I began a Ten Week series of lectures "LIVING MYTHS" at the Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW) scattered through March, April, May and June 2012.
Alas,only two lectures remain.
Lecture notes, an intermission of chat with tea/coffee and supe
Mackenzie
This book is a good source to start your research into not just Greek mythology but also other myths from around the world: Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Celtic, Persian, Indian and Far Eastern.

For the Greek mythology section, it doesn't always provide a comprehensive entry for some entities (e.g. I couldn't find anything about the Chimera in here) but the more prominent figures are all in there so, again, if you need a starting point for your research, this book will provide it.

Personally, I use it
Danelle
A fairly comprehensive book of mythology covering Europe & Asia. It begins with Greek & Roman mythology and then continues on with Celtic and Nordic. There are also sections on Africa and Asia. It's definitely not something you'd sit and read all the way through. It is nice for browsing, to keep on hand for reference, or to read bits on a rainy day.

Though it's not as in-depth as it could be, it does cover quite a bit.

The artwork throughout is an added bonus.
Jesse Evans-Jenkins
Jun 10, 2010 Jesse Evans-Jenkins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mythology Buffs
A great book for the mythology expert or student. I mainly bought this for Greek and Roman mythology, but it also includes Celtic, Nordic, Egypt and West Asia, South and Central Asia, and East Asia's myths. The books are very organized with an easy to use index so you can find all of the gods and godesses you want. Each myth is completely told with descriptions. In grey and oranged outlined pages, a certain part of a culture's mythology is explained. An example of this is that under the Greek an ...more
Harlan Martin
The research that went into this is faulty and filled with misinformation. They based the majority of the writing on one source called the Prose Edda that was written by a gentleman named Snorri Sturlsun who was a classically educated scholar who lived 100 years after the conversion of Iceland. That once source is pretty much taken with a grain of salt as being a doctored version of the Eddas because of the influence christianity and the church had on his writings. Most of true Asatru scholars t ...more
Biaboki
Heet in NL "Encyclopedie van de wereld mythologie"
Malcolm Forman
Very well written book for those searching basic information on mythological gods and goddesses from different cultures around the world
Sophi Galford
why cant I read this book on this website!.
Ashley Logan
I used this book to look up Greek mythology for the Percy Jackson series. It was a lot of help and fun to read.
Reading it for Norse mythology now, focusing on Thor due to the new movie that is out. This is a big book and I hate to put "read" on here when it would probably take a person 2 years to read! I've read everything important to the Norse mythology I possibly could and it was 300 pages +. A lot to cover when it comes to mythology, but this is one of the better books on all the mythologies
Asia
I picked this up at Borders for like... $19.99 instead of the original MSRP.

It's a very nice and quite informative book, with lots of good photos and illustrations. The information is somewhat run-of-the-mill, at times, consisting of a lot of the same old regurgitated tidbits as so many other mythology books, but the fact it runs the gamut from Norse to Southeast Asian and everywhere in between kind of makes up for it.
Milo
Feb 16, 2011 Milo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mythology Enthusiasts
Shelves: golden, mythology
More like a textbook of all the worlds myths than anything else, this encyclopedia is interesting to peruse at your leisure. I loved it so much because it was able to point me in the direction of some of the most epic yarns ever woven from the beginning of recorded time to recent history. I still to this day look fondly through it from time to time.
Laura Galarza
One of my all time favorite books, which is of course part of my collection. This book has an immense amount of information from Greek and Roman mythology to Celtic and Asian mythology. It’s something like your one stop book for all your mythological needs. Really is a must have book in any readers collection.
Zezee
Jan 01, 2015 Zezee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: myth lovers
Shelves: favorites
This is a great reference book. It contains a lot of mythological characters and is detailed (although sometimes I wish it contained a bit more). I recommend this to all myth lovers. Myths covered: Greek/Roman, Celtic, Nordic, South and Central Asia, Egypt and West Asia, East Asia.
Ruric Amhari
Comprehensive reference guide to world mythology with sections on classical world, norse lands, south and central asia, egypt and west asia, celtic world, east asia.

Entries are made in A-Z format within each main section with lots of full colour illustrations and photos.
Jovy
Love this book! It's a good reference for mythology not just Greek or Roman but also Norse, Egyptian and other myths. It is a huge book, but what can you expect, it's an encyclopedia for mythologies for crying out loud! If you don't like encyclopedia do not read this.
Ever get stumped on a mytholgical question? (yeah-because I know it happens everyday-right?) This book gives a brief description of just about every mythogical creature/god/human throughout time from all different regions from the Celtics to Rome and back again.
Kellie
A fantastically written book on myths, mythology, and Gods from every country that practices any sort of religion.

Full of drawings, photographs and, of course stories and myths, this book will teach every member of your family something about mythology.
Tracy
This is an awesome reference book for mythical figures. I am dissapointed that it didn't cover more Egyptian figures and that it lumped them in the same chapter as West Asia. Other than that, it is an excellent reference book.
Nanci
The tiny fonts make this compact book a bit hard on the eyes, but the extensive photos, pictures, variety of cultures covered in a multitude of entries make it a worthwhile addition to any library section on mythology.
April Helms
An amazing collection of myths from all over. I keep this one on my reference shelves in my computer room in case I ever need to look something up. Great reference for Greek, Roman, Celtic and Egyptian mythology.
Greg
This is an Encyclopedia; you never 'actually' finish reading it.
If you're interested in; Art, Ancient Worlds and obviously Mythology, it's good to have in your collection.
Peter
Haven't finished reading it all these years. Great information and illustrations. I just wished I checked the internet first before buying this tablet.
Robert Kaufman
Great as an intro to Mythology and also serves as great coffee table book. Difficult read because of size but good reference edition.
Sabrina Flynn
A wonderful resource book for Mythology in every culture. Vibrant illustrations and a host of legends that are grouped in a logical way.
Sofia
This is the kind of encyclopedia you can read cover to cover. It's fascinating and a great reference book.
This is a great book. It is very well organized with beautiful art and tells the stories very well.
Nikki ~The Critic~
Other than the pictures (most likely, the pictures too), you can find most of these mythical beings online.
  • Mythology
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • World Mythology: An Anthology of Great Myths and Epics
  • Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • The Pagan Book of Days: A Guide to the Festivals, Traditions, and Sacred Days of the Year
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
  • Celtic Myths and Legends
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels
  • Celtic Myths and Legends
  • Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned
Arthur Cotterell, former Principal of Kingston College in London, has spent many years combining senior educational management with historical research. He is the respected author of more than thirty books, and is now writing on the Chinese empire, from the history of which he considers one can learn as much about leadership as from Ashridge or Harvard.
More about Arthur Cotterell...
The Encyclopedia of Mythology: Classical, Celtic, Norse Encyclopedia of World Mythology Ancient China (Eyewitness Books) Norse Mythology: The Myths & Legends of the Nordic Gods (Mythology Library) The Macmillan Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Myths & Legends