Start by marking “Hitler and Nazi Germany: A History” as Want to Read:
Hitler and Nazi Germany: A History

Hitler and Nazi Germany: A History

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The book is a brief yet comprehensive survey of the institution, cultural, and social life of the Third Reich—and Hitler's role in it, the Second World War, and the Holocaust. Based on current research findings, it spans an era of economic, social, and political forces that made possible the rise and growth of Nazism. Coverage includes material on anti-Jewish policies and ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 336 pages
Published July 17th 2000 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Hitler and Nazi Germany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitler and Nazi Germany

Kristian Wilson
Jul 14, 2014 Kristian Wilson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristian by: Tammy Pike
Shelves: undergrad

Jackson J. Spielvogel’s Hitler and Nazi Germany A History is an excellent text, covering nearly seventy-five years of German history in approximately three hundred pages. Stretching from Germany’s beginnings as a unified nation in 1871 to its surrender to the Allies on 7 May 1945, the text provides a look at aspects of the country’s history and culture which is shockingly detailed, given its brevity. Take, for example, this passage on Nazi artwork—

The mere rendering of numerous details from ever
Josh Liller
Assigned reading for my Nazi Germany university class.

Well-written, very informative, and not too long at 300 pages. Spielvogel skims over the military aspects and does an excellent job of covering the political and social situation in Germany from 1919 to 1945: why Weimar failed, why the Hitler and the Nazis gained popularity and power, why the Nazis failed, and how all of it impacted Germans at different points through this time period.

If you read only one book about Nazi Germany then read thi
Heather
This is a small book but it contains a lot of information. It gives an overview of Nazi Germany and it is easy to read and get throuh. However, it can be a little dry at times since it is pretty much a textbook. However, I recommend this to anyone who is interested in learning more about the subject and doesn't want to read a huge volume.
Ben
Read this for my Nazi Germany class at Texas A&M University. Interesting relatively easy to read book. Focuses mainly on Hitler as a man and a leader and how he was able to obtain power and lead a country to war. It is an interesting view of Hitler, seriously examines him, Spielvogel doesn't just assume that he was a horrible man.
Carrie Thiessen
I read this book for my Nazi Germany History class. Very insightful and goes in depth about the National Socialists, the rise of Nazi Germany and Hitler in particular. A must read if you are a World War II buff and wanting to gain further understanding of how the NSDAP rose to power.
Kristen
Incredibly interesting overview of the Third Reich and Nazi Regime. It covered all different areas and aspects of Germany in the time period and did not solely focus on the Holocaust.
Amy
I have to say, I enjoyed this one. Spielvogel is an engaging writer and examines Nazi Germany broadly. He talks about Hitler's Aryan belief and the rise and influence of Nazism.
Karla
A really good view on the rise of the Third Reich. Read it for my MLA course, but I would nave found it enjoyable as a leisure read.
Kendall
I also read this for my class. It was the easiest read of all my textbooks, for it explained everything in everyday terms.
Jim Swike
A good history on how Hitler came to power and Nazi Germany.
Susan Bin
this plays like a narrative. really nice textbook
Lettie Laferriere
Read this for a class at WSU.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: history, wwii
None
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Abhimanyu Aditya
Abhimanyu Aditya marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
  • In Bluebeard's Castle: Some Notes Towards the Redefinition of Culture
  • A Philosophy of Evil
  • Medieval Europe: A Short History
  • The Crisis of German Ideology: Intellectual Origins of the Third Reich
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • The New Humanists: Science at the Edge
  • No End Save Victory: Perspectives on World War II
Western Civilization Western Civilization: Volume I: To 1715 Western Civilization: Volume II: Since 1500 Journey Across Time: The Early Ages, Student Edition Western Civilization: A Brief History, International Edition