What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM): Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  53 reviews
An expert in women's health offers a safe, proven, effective hormone balance program for the more than 50 million women suffering from premenopause syndrome
Published January 1st 1999 by Grand Central Life & Style

To ask other readers questions about What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM)

Neeter L
I recommend men read this too! It gives a clear concise picture of what is going on in our women, in your life!

Dr. John Lee~

So, you want to try natural hormones. Great! But before you take pills, rub on cream, or apply patches, it’s important to know the basics of what you’re doing and why. Hormones bring important messages to every cell of your body, with potent results. The hormone imbalances that led you to this book in the first place can be corrected—or made worse—depending on your treatme...more
Robyn
This was a life changing book to read. I know the title is a little overwhelming but the book really has nothing to do with menopause so don't be afraid! The book talks about how when you are 15-30 your body can bounce back from a lot of things that throw you off balance when you get a little older & have more kids/responsibility/stress. It is so interesting how so many of the things that we do each day and things that we are exposed to in the environment can effect our bodies. I had no idea...more
Jen
Premenopause is kind of a scary term, but basically fits the ages 30 to 50. I liked the book, found many nuggets to take away. Two issues. One,I would have liked to see the author emphasize testing more strongly, I feel everyone should test before taking any hormone, period. My second issue is that it recommends progesterone cream for pretty much everything (I expected this, Lee came up with the stuff). To my understand, there is a good chunk of research that shows women need to be extremely car...more
Natalie
The title may throw you off because you think, "I'm not even CLOSE to menopause, what does this have to do with me?" But the truth is I believe every woman should read this book. Do you wonder about why there are so many women these days who have trouble conceiving? Do you wonder why girls are hitting puberty faster? Do you wonder about things like breast cancer and ovarian cancer and if there's anything you can do about it? Do you care about about your own reproductive health as well as the rep...more
Angela
This book is awesome. I love how it promotes balance and provides a thorough education on the subject.
Teri
I think this is a must read for women, even those who have no reproductive issues. A detailed yet accessible book that explains the causes, symptoms and treatment of hormonal imbalances in women - many if not most of which go undiagnosed and untreated, or misdiagnosed and improperly treated. Full of case study examples that illustrate what can happen with different imbalances, I found myself thinking of at least one woman I knew with the stories presented in each new chapter.
Enormously useful, s...more
Kathleen
Aug 29, 2007 Kathleen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women
Ok, don't think I'm crazy for reading this even though I'm only 33! It's all about hormone balance and how being off-balance effects your health. It also talks about the dangers of hormonal contraceptives (ie the pill), and gives suggestions for keeping your hormones in balance. I figure it's never to early to learn about this stuff since I'll be dealing with it eventually!
Aimee
How did I get through college without hearing about this book??? It is the best book I have read on natural ways to balance hormones -- completely in line with my philosophies on natural healing, stress management, and life as a woman. A fantastic asset for any practioner to own!
Mandy Dale
Information is clear and concise, easy enough for the layperson to understand. It covers a great many areas of bodily functions and more details are given the further the book is read, enabling the reader to discern what is necessary and superfluous before initiating laboratory testing, etc.

Spoke to a registered dietitian today and it was obvious that she was not familiar with most of the information in this book which given it yet another reassurance that this information is truly unique and i...more
Debbie
This book more closely relates to women ages 30 to 50 who haven't yet gone through menopause. The term "premenopause," the authors explain, is not a real medical term, but describes the 15 to 20 years of hormonal ups and downs that precede the end of menses. I'm sure anyone who has had irregular periods or moods swings associated with their cycles can relate to the issues this book addresses.

Dr. Lee wrote the book What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You about Menopause and is a co-author of this book...more
Shana
I am not planning to finish this book, start to finish, but will use it as a reference. Why? Because the edition I have was published in 1999 and with 15 years of additional research and information, I want to come closer to the present. I give 4 stars rather than 3 assuming that more recent editions solve this problem.

This book is importan to me because it describes me in so many ways. After years of symptoms, then the blood test of my FSH levels that simultaneously confirmed that 1) all my sym...more
Mickalene
This book came recommended by a friend. I learned so much about hormones and my body by reading this book -- more so than any other research I've done and talking to countless doctors. VERY informative, a must-read for all women, especially if having fertility issues or being told by their doctor they need a hysterectomy. Wish I would have read it before I started having children. It provides a natural, more gentle approach to taking care of our bodies than what is current practice by doctors an...more
Stacey Novak
Some awesome insight into why we act like we do and how other methods can help before having a script wrote but also giving you and your physician something to talk about.
Elaine
Hmmm..... the book gives a heads up to alternative options that one may not be presented with while visiting a conventional doctor. I tend to be suspicious when claims are made regarding conspiracies in terms of Big Pharma and how they will influence policy and medicine. I think this book could have been written without that aspect. Just show the science or how current understanding is flawed. Leave the politics out.

I should also add that I tend to be skeptical of anyone that criticizes suppleme...more
Rachel
I have to admit, I'm at that age when this book is relevant. Good information, but poor documentation of research; for example: the claim that fish is better for us than flax as a source of Omega 3 b/c flax leads to imbalance, but no reference of any study done to support the claim (not to mention that there was no distinction made between the dangers of farmed fish or the environmental consequences of ocean-caught fish). I am, happy with their encouragment to avoid factory-raised meats, which m...more
Bee
Fantastic. Every woman over the age of 30 should read this.
Emma Bliss
Seriously every woman over 35 should read this book!
Stacey Novak
Recommend this book for anyone 30-50. Great insight.
Angelyn
Very informative. I wish I would have read it years ago. It was written 10 years ago and seems to have been ahead of it's time.
Amy Shaw
Every woman should read this book. It is loaded with great information on how our bodies work and how important the roles of hormones are to your body working correctly. It's a tuff read. Lots of medicial and chemical references - it's like reading a text book. But there is still great information in the book and many stories about women who have used natural means to relieve symptoms related to hormonal issues.
Genevieve
Great information, I was having all of the classic premenopausal symptoms, crazy how accurate he was. Using my Arbonne progesterone cream and poof, no more issues...
Every woman should read this book - very important! He links cancers and all kinds of issues like weight loss to a need for progesterone and too much estrogen.
Teresa
I read the 1999 edition that was in my library and it's probably best that the 2005 edition is read to get the new stuff. Reading this book, my first thought was that Dr. Lee has been proven right as far as his condemnation of HRT goes, and there's a lot of other important stuff too, even in the '99 edition.
Very interesting book! This is the first I've read about hormones and I am looking forward to talking to my doctor about it. I am particulary interested in using progesterone cream for my PMS symptoms which have worsened since hitting 30. I would reccommend this to anyone who is 30 years old and over.
Andrea
I wish this book had a better title, but it gives a lot of useful information about estrogen dominance, which many American women seem to suffer from. The writing is a bit dry and straight forward, but if you're a woman under the age of 45, it's definitely a helpful read.
Natasha
It is interesting to think that our hormones are being changed by all of the pollutions and chemicals we are exposed to everyday. It is interesting to learn more about natural progesterone replacement. It has given me a theory for some the things I am experiencing.
Susan
This may sound silly, but it's an excellent book for women of any age. Lots of great information about how the female body works, the importance of taking time (as well as vitamins, exercise, balanced diet...). Extremely thought-provoking and informative.
Debbie Wells
Mar 05, 2007 Debbie Wells rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any woman going through any phase of menopause.
This was the second book of Dr. John Lee's that I have read and it was just as spectacular as the first. Written in plain English....no more confusion about wether I need estrogen or progesterone! Amazing information....life changing and liberating for sure.
Rebekah M.
If you have a vagina, please read this book! Migraines, mood swings, perhaps a doctor pressuring you to undergo girly surgery? Synthetic hormones? Birth control? You MUST read this to understand how hormones work!
Kellylou
Every woman on the planet must read this book, regardless of what stage of life you are in! The knowledge you will gain on how your hormones work and how the environment works against you is phenomenal.
Kari
Only reason why I am giving it three stars is that I am in absolute denial that I am approaching this phase of my life. But, this book is informative and is preparing me for becoming a crone.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Hormone Balance Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple: The Essential How-to Guide to Symptoms, Dosage, Timing, and More What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer: How Hormone Balance Can Help Save Your Life Our Sleepless Nights: Surviving Katrina and Burying Miss Vera What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause/What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause