How to Talk Minnesotan

How to Talk Minnesotan

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Now you can cultivate authentic Minnesota pronunciation, vocabulary, and colloquialisms from the man who wrote the book on it. Speak with confidence when using Minnesota words and phrases to make indirect commands and statements. Feel at ease constructing whole conversations based on "the weather" and "car talk." Learn the subtle differences of "lunch," "dinner," and "a li...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 1 page
Published January 2nd 2001 by HighBridge Company (first published August 4th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about How to Talk Minnesotan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Talk Minnesotan

Janene
What I've noticed about this book..and it's reviews...are that the people who aren't rating it very high...and saying it's 'really not that funny'...likely aren't from Minnesota and not presently living in Minnesota.

That being said, I read this book and pretty much laughed my ass off through the whole thing. I am Minnesota born and raised. This book is the truth! If you are from Minnesota and are willing to laugh at yourself & your neighbors...this is the book for you! OMG..ROFL!

Whatever....more
Joanne
Jun 08, 2011 Joanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris
Shelves: non-fiction
This isn't the sort of book to read straight through, but to dip into, and in parts it is laugh-out-loud funny. Like the chapter on emotional outbursts (there aren't any) and on using negatives to express positive feelings, like saying, "Not too bad," or "It could be worse" when someone asks how you are. This stoic style also applies to doctors and hospitals ("We pretend we aren't sick until our symptoms are unmistakable...anybody could diagnose us by the time most of us make an appointment. On...more
Colette
I would give it to my parents, but I think they wouldn't get the joke. That's how close to home this hit.

Better yet is identifying those who speak Minnesotan around you. Just the other day I heard someone describe a man: "He's an optimist. That's all right, I guess." CLASSIC MINNESOTAN.

But for that person who just doesn't know how to refuse food three times before accepting it, or that good-byes actually last a half hour, this is a great resource into the minds of Midwesterners.
Martha
My friends gave me this book right before I went off to college in Minnesota. I read the book and thought it was pretty funny, but quickly discovered how true a lot of is was once I was there. Which, of course, made it even funnier.
David
This was okay. Some of the jokes are good, but the laughs are fewer and further between than I'd hoped.
Karen Korb
About The Book: Based in part on material written for "A Prairie Home Companion", How to Talk Minnesotan will help visitors to Minnesota keep from sticking out like sore thumbs when they don't know the difference between "not too bad a deal" and "a heckuva deal". Illustrated with line drawings.

About the Author: A one-time radio script writer, Howard Mohr has become known as the man who translated Minnesotan for the rest of the world. Early in his career, Mohr wrote for Prairie Home Companion, cr...more
Julie H.
Howard Mohr's How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide is both spot-on accurate and hilarious.

Having only lived in the Land of 10,000 Lakes for five months, I've already observed many of the linguistic and non-verbal cues--as well as the more multi-faceted cultural phenomena tackled here such as the "The Minnesota Long Goodbye." Mohr, self-styled creator of Minnesota Language Sytems, is to be congratulated on providing this useful tool for us non-Minnesotans who visit or relocate to the Gopher...more
Amber
This book was something I acquired from my great-grandmother. I was quite astounded that someone had written a book like this (because I am from Minnesota) and I noticed that even today, the author was right. Everything he says, even though it sounds funny in the writing, is basically a true account of Minnesotan talking. I just had to smile reading about the lutefisk and casserole! (Which, by the way, is true. We Minnesotans are very fond of our casseroles XD))
Kari Mathias
Very, very cute. It made me remember why I love Minnesota so much, and why I'm so proud to live in such a enchanting place. I think that the humor is accessible to everyone, but only people from Minnesota will get the special thrill when they see a phrase that they've actually used in a serious conversation. I only gave it four stars, because I don't think I'll read it again, but I loved it.
Pwagner
I grew up in MN and moved to ND when I was 20. I could relate to what the author said about phrases and the dialect however, North Dakotans say the same things. I really don't think it's a Minnesotan thing but a Midwestern way of life and way of speaking. I thought the book was rather boring and it did not hold my attention.
Susan
An offshoot of the glory days of "Prairie Home Companion," this book purports to explain Minnesota culture to the rest of the country. It is subtitled "A Visitor's Guide," and gives examples of local idiom. The humor is not laugh-aloud funny, but more in a gentle style. Still, it's an enjoyable bedtime book, since it can be read a little at a time.
Rachel Heinrich
This is a really cute book. A very dear friend of mine moved to Minniapolis four months ago and brought this home for me on a recent visit. The book is so funny because it's so true! The author, Howard Mohr, has written for A Prairie Home Companion, if that gives you an idea of his humor. I am really enjoying it's simplicity and light-heartedness.
Jaclynn
This is a hilarious book! Learn all the ways of what it means to be a true Minnesotan. =P I'm pretty sure some of it isn't true, merely legends and rumors. The ads are pretty funny too. If you want to get a good laugh and
learn a little about the state of Minnesota then you should read this.
Jason Williams
I picked up this gem at a used book store's going-out-of-business sale that I happened upon almost a decade ago. With my Minnesota roots, this book is an absolute treasure to me.

I still pick it up for reference when I need a quick laugh. The taco recipe was spot on!
Erich Franz Guzmann
At first I gave this 3 stars because some of it was pretty funny... then I got to thinking that what I thought was funny wasn't all THAT funny and just okay. So, now 2 stars is what it gets. Maybe you just have to be from Minnesota in order to get this humor, hmmm....
Laurie
As a former Minnesotan with relatives in the state, I found this pretty funny because of its accuracy. Mohr's guide goes the way of the Norwegian jokes I grew up with: It's unfunny and odd to those on the outside, but if you're making fun of yourself, well ...
Megan
This book is hilarious! If you are from Minnesota, have ever lived in Minnesota, or know anybody from Minnesota, it is something you will want to check out.

Here's to the "Minnesota Ice" ....errr.....ummm....I mean the "Minnesota Nice"
Angela Joyce
I was given the cassette tape of this many years ago when I nearly moved to Minnesota, and now I've finally read the book. It is gently hilarious and perhaps more universally relevant than some might think.
Ericka
A visitor's guide to everything you need to know about this great State. Even if you're from Minnesota, it wouldn't hurt you to learn a thing or two. You'll be able to relate and laugh out loud.
Elsa
Is this book funny to non-Minnesotans? Probably not, but it is a heckuva book. You might think it's just a little different, but a guy could do a lot worse when selecting reading material. You bet.
It was quite humorous and helpful in understanding the MN culture. I thought an update would be fun, and I see there is a new 2013 version. I'll have to check it out!
Lauren (strangled)
Despite the heckuva good chapter on lutefisk, and I almost laugh every time I read it, it is what it is. It could be worse.
Jillian
Hilarious. I'm a MN from birth through grade school. This book reminds me of my distant relatives now.
Hilarious and accurate. And the half-hour video based on the book is even better!
Heather
A necessary read for anyone who has visited or lived in Minnesota. HILARIOUS!
Matt Friedman
Very funny, but actually quite informative amid the silliness.
Anna
This sounds just like my friends and family! You betcha!
Hannah
a friend gave me this-always cracks me up.
Spencer Hill
Dec 13, 2010 Spencer Hill is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far it is a hilarious book. You bet!
Teddie
Ya you betcha it's funny!
Howard Mohr was a writer and performer for several years on the radio program A Prairie Home Companion. He has since created two long-running musicals based on How to Talk Minnesotan. Twin Cities Public Television filmed a popular award-winning version of Howard’s book in 1991. He lives with his wife in Cottonwood, Minnesota.
More about Howard Mohr...
How to Talk Minnesotan: Revised for the 21st Century A Minnesota Book of Days How to Tell a Tornado Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor Minnesota Book of Days: An Almanac of State History

“Two- to four-finger waves are commonly used between fast-moving vehicles, but the nicely executed single-finger wave is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. To me, it perfectly sums up the Minnesota character that I love so much. The finger wave from the steering wheel: when you get it right, you'll know you've arrived and you don't ever have to leave again if you don't want to.” 1 likes