Start by marking “Bakakaj” as Want to Read:

Zbiór opowiadań wydany w 1957 roku, obnażający i wyśmiewający różne społeczne mechanizmy i patologie.
Published 1993 by Wydawnictwo Literackie (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Bakakaj, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bakakaj

Jul 10, 2013 Olivia rated it really liked it
I used to think that I didn't like short stories. I thought they would leave me unsatisfied , without any time to develop neither story nor characters. Akutagawa made me doubt my attitude, Borges changed my mind, and now, Gombrowicz has sealed the deal. After having read a perfectly measured story, there is no turning back. And Gombrowicz really knows how to do this.

In Bacacay, Gombrowicz presents us with a ridiculing look at social interaction and expectations. The usual ideas of how "everythin
This goes really high up on my list of favorite story collections. Unique, grotesquely weird at times and very funny. One of those works that makes you eager to read everything else available from the author.
Marek Pawlowski
Aug 24, 2014 Marek Pawlowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zbiór opowiadań Gombrowicza przeczytałem już trzeci raz. Odzwyczaiłem się trochę od jego pióra i chyba muszę na nowo przypomnieć sobie jego twórczość. Samego Gombrowicza zawsze umieszczałem w ścisłej czołówce pisarzy, których uważam za geniuszy i z roku na rok nic się w tym wypadku nie zmienia. Po długiej przerwie (ostatni raz czytałem jego powieści na studiach a nowo wydany Kronos mnie jakoś nie przekonał), efekt zachwytu jedynie się zmaksymalizował. Tym razem moją uwagę przykuło przede wszystk ...more
Mike Polizzi
Jan 31, 2009 Mike Polizzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Xenophobia, totalitarianism, traveling the ocean in a glass bubble...Gombrowicz creates stories that inhabit worlds parallel to our own that manages to shine a lot of light on the strange and arbitrary rules of human existence.
Nov 01, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are perfect moments in these stories:

When I do something well, I feel suspended on the inscrutable smiles of women, horses, frogs, dogs and bees.

Virginity - a stunning combination of physics and metaphysics, abstract and concrete - from a minor bodily detail there flows an entire sea of idealism and wonders that are glaringly at odds with our sorry reality.

When I kiss a lady's hand I lick it moistly, after which I quickly take out my handkerchief: "Oh, pardon me! "I say, and wipe it with
Justin Kern
Very weird and creative short stories. This is one of the craziest books I think I've ever read. The cover blurb mentions the story about erotic lepers, and the one about aristocrats eating a vegetarian meal made out of human flesh. those are some of the more normal ones.

My favorite story was "The Events on the Banbury." Although I didn't really understand what was happening, it made me feel like I was pleasantly losing my mind in some crazed silly dream, which is actually pretty cool.
Víctor Sampayo
Aug 06, 2011 Víctor Sampayo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Una fulgurante introducción al mundo de Gombrowicz. Recuerdo que temblequeaba poseído por una risa extraña, febril, histérica, cuando leía "Aventuras", "De lo que sucedió en la goleta Bambury" o "Crimen premeditado". Nunca había encontrado esa manera de mostrar lo repugnante sin decir una palabra de ello, o mejor, de sólo sugerirlo mediante complicadas paradojas. Aquí podrán encontrar completo el relato "Aventuras", traducido por Sergio Pitol. Sin duda este libro estará entre mis favoritos de to ...more
(Read it in Bosnian translation.) The question is how much of this craziness can one take? Every character has a mania, some of them more unbearable than others. I could have done without the extensive descriptions of marine and submarine tortures, but I suppose the violence is a part of the point. Two stories struck me as especially funny, the one about virginity where the idealized maiden wants to gnaw on bones from the garbage and the one about a respectable upper-class guy who fetishizes rea ...more
Jun 10, 2015 Maif rated it liked it
amusing and charismatic, but nothing special
Guillermo Jiménez
Relatos emparentados en más de un sentido con ese otro extraño del siglo XX que fue Kafka. Personajes deudores también de autores como Vila-Matas. Historias de argumento simple y con connotaciones de una complejidad humana relativa. Sencillamente un autor de disfrute.
Andrew Bourne
Jan 19, 2008 Andrew Bourne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gombrowicz enthusiasts
Some of these shorts are stupendous, two are stinkers. The story "Virginity" is perfect Gombrowicz, just great. "Adventure" is very high-spirited, sounding as if my Pop [Grandfather] had dictated it. Tall tales from the Eastern Block.
The first story, "Lawyer Kraykowski's Dancer," was startling and strange, but the second one was not so hot, so I've set this aside for another Archipelago title for the meantime.
Kobe Bryant
Dec 04, 2015 Kobe Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess all you need to write good short stories is to be a really good writer
May 15, 2013 Ffiamma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
non sono, come dice il sottotitolo: ricordi del periodo della maturazione, ma racconti assurdi, geniali, esilaranti. il primo gombrowicz (che non si scorda mai)
Jim Elkins
Oct 09, 2012 Jim Elkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: polish
Could an imagination be more over-heated? Could anything be more fun than being sunk to the bottom of the ocean in an iron sphere?
Nov 28, 2007 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, collections
Less-polished Gombrowicz, still better than a lot of what's out there and a lot of what is considered 'good'.
ian Wolff
Jul 30, 2008 ian Wolff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most surreal collection of short stories, rivaled only by Robert Walser for their decentered dreamstate.
if you like the other ones you'd like this. kinda more modern Gogol.
What is going on here? Something delightfully bizarre.
Aug 28, 2008 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: them, him
"Virginity" is one of my favorite short stories ever.
bizzare and absurd stories...pretty great.
Apr 01, 2011 kelelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
crisp, surreal, bizarre, memorable, great.
Adna Omeragic
Aug 28, 2007 Adna Omeragic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For everyone who is a story-freak like myself.
Sep 23, 2009 Estee is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
ahhhh this is so great!
Nov 07, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing is what it seams
Feb 12, 2007 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
truly bizarre and wonderful!
Drew Wehrle
Sep 08, 2009 Drew Wehrle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For fans of Kafka.
Gerard Flens
Gerard Flens rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
  • A Dream in Polar Fog
  • Diary of Andres Fava
  • Karaoke Culture
  • Barbarian In The Garden
  • A Dreambook for Our Time (Writers from the Other Europe)
  • Mandarins: Stories by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa
  • My Body and I
  • The Novices of Sais
  • Insatiability
  • The Collected Stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer
Witold Marian Gombrowicz (August 4, 1904 in Małoszyce, near Kielce, Congress Poland, Russian Empire – July 24, 1969 in Vence, near Nice, France) was a Polish novelist and dramatist. His works are characterized by deep psychological analysis, a certain sense of paradox and an absurd, anti-nationalist flavor. In 1937 he published his first novel, Ferdydurke, which presented many of his usual themes: ...more
More about Witold Gombrowicz...

“Rzecz prosta, im mądrzejszy czytelnik, tym i książka okaże się mądrzejsza; im zaś czytelnik głupszy i bardziej jałowy, tym i książka będzie głupsza.” 20 likes