Start by marking “The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #4)

The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden #4)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,099 Ratings  ·  396 Reviews
Love at first sight turns into newlywed bliss for former librarian Aurora Teagarden-until violence cuts the honeymoon short.

Wealthy businessman Martin Bartell gives Roe exactly what she wants for their wedding: Julius House. But both the house and Martin come with murky pasts. And when Roe is attacked by an ax-wielding maniac, she realizes that the secrets inside her four
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published June 3rd 2008 by Berkley (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Julius House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Julius House

Dagny
The Julius House opens with big changes in Aurora's life. Whatever Harris was trying to do, get us used to the changes or go in a different direction, the first portion of the book was incredibly dull to me. I was even wondering if I wanted to continue reading the series, especially since I didn't much care for Aurora's 'attitude.' Once we got past the initial chapters, the action picked up and the last portion of the book was quite exciting. A couple of new characters were introduced. I really ...more
Blake
Feb 27, 2011 Blake rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a boring / stupid protagonist and an eye twitch
Aonbelay
Mar 17, 2009 Aonbelay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like quick mysteries
I was temping for a company that basically only needed someone to babysit the front desk. While sitting there I saw this book at the receptionist's desk.

I like this book because it's a "pop-corn" (a quick read). I loved the writing and the quirky characters. The mystery wasn't really the main focus and normally I hate picking up a book in the middle of a series, but I found that it was enjoyable. It made me laugh and I think I'll pick up the other "Teagarden" novels to munch on for a short trip
Sandra Turner
Jul 24, 2013 Sandra Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favorite series from this author. I thank Sookie for getting me interested, but this series really had me hooked. I am sad there are no more, but I am also glad that Aurora did not take some of the same downward spirals that come from not really having anything else to write, but still writing. I would recommend this series, even if you don't like the others. This is a truly mystery series with no special abilities or vampires. Just real mystery and suspense.
Kim
Aug 29, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been sucked into this series. It really is the audio version of mediocre ear candy. Half way through I say the current one will be the last I'll read and then, like now, I get to the end and click on the sample of next in the series and BAM! Hooked again. This one really has me wondering "who done it" more than the previous one.
Jonathan
In yet another wonderful installment to Charlaine Harris's Aurora Teagarden mystery series Aurora finds herself a newlywed with a lot of time on her hands, since she quit her job at the local library. To satisfy her own curiosity about the homes previous owners, the Julius family, who disappeared without a trace 6 years before, she enlists the help of her new neighbors and Martin's friends the Youngbloods. This was a fun mystery and I can honestly say that the ending surprised me.

Two new major c
Syrdarya
Jul 19, 2011 Syrdarya rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Considering that the third book in the series set up two of the main plots for this book, I had hoped this book would be much better than it was. The Julius House is, I hope, the worst book Charlaine Harris has written. The characterization of Aurora is uneven: she reacts strangely to other characters, she has bizarre thoughts which could use more explanation, she's still not very likable. The first few chapters of the book don't even have anything to do with the mystery, and there are some stra ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 13, 2011 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Okay, I started reading this series exactly a week ago... and I haven't been able to stop. As I've already mentioned, I loved the first, second, and third books, so I couldn't wait to get stuck into this one!

So much has happened in this former librarian's life. She's helped solve several mysteries, inherited quite a lot of money from a friend, had several disastrous relationships that haven't lasted, and is slowly trying to find what she wants to dedicate her life to now that she no longer works
Annika Astradsson
This was a book I picked up at the airport for some light airplane reading. I never expected it to be great literature and it wasn't. What I liked about the book was the promise of a good plot, and mostly it was fulfilled. But what I disliked about it was that it took forever getting there. Yes it was novel to read about a really rich woman in her 30s, who doesn't have to work for a living and is about to get married with all the trimmings. Yes it was pleasant to accompany her while she picked o ...more
Stephanie
Dec 13, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
OK, a little more grousing about this series; near the beginning of the novel, the main character Roe says something like, "I wonder how the writer Robin is doing? Last I heard, he'd moved to California..." o.0
And then you find out that THREE YEARS have passed since the first novel in this series, Roe's little brother had moved across country, and there was a wedding planned!
So things have heated up between Roe and Martin so much, the wedding was planned already. The writer says a little somethi
Jan 15, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries aren't nearly as detailed as Harris' Southern Vampire series, and sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes that's a bad thing. The plot surrounding the Julius House/Disappearance worked quite well, with just enough detail to make it interesting (and it even creeped me out a bit!) although I figured it our before Aurora did.

On the other hand, the plot line regarding Martin's background is far too sketchy to 1) be believable and 2) be enjoyable. As the reader, I
Regina
I am just loving these books. The stories are more about every day life than a mystery and Charlaine Harris writes daily life so well. She nailed it best in these Aurora Teagarden books.
Jim
Dec 28, 2015 Jim rated it liked it
I continue reading candy! The writing is better for most of the book. There are some very good descriptions, some are quite good & funny. Again, the wrap up wasn't as good as it could have been. Bad guy caught, tells all. I also seriously contemplated pulling a star from the book because the base mystery was so flawed. Still, it's candy & suspending my sense of belief for one item, though major, didn't seem quite fair. It was fun read.
Joshua Gross
Nov 18, 2011 Joshua Gross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost nothing happens for the entire first half of the book, and then suddenly everything happens. I managed to figure out a theory that was close to what was going on early in the book, then figured it out completely before Roe did, which was surprising considering she had all the information she needed to come to the same conclusion...
Flo
May 22, 2012 Flo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some things about this book and series that have me rating it 2 stars. I don't like the main character, Aurora. She seems to have had a pretty easy life, her mother is a successful real estate agent that lets her daughter live and manage a row of townhouses. Aurora was a librarian and then up and quits. She inherits a house and some money from a coworker which makes her finacially independent. Then she meets the man of her dreams. He is a mystery. She doesn't know everything about him ...more
Charlie
Nov 05, 2012 Charlie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a girl who marries someone she does not know nearly well enough to marry and who moves into a house known to have a deep dark secret. She has to solve the mysteries of who her husband really is and what really happened in the house. I found it a bit basic and not terribly imaginative. However, it was perfectly readable.

I did not realise that this was number 4 in a series when I picked it up, but it is fine as a stand alone novel and I don't think it lost anything by being re
Karen
Dec 29, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, mystery
Okay it has become a game now with this series. Can I figure out the killer before Aurora so far Roe is winning on that score. Though I really liked the twisted in this book. And though it started a little slow I kinda enjoyed the little insight on Roe herself.
Sarah Adamson
May 12, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, mystery
Not my favorite in the series but a close 2nd! Aurora further develops as this every day down to earth petite librarian who is also a sleuth extraordinaire and when she chooses, she bites like a dachshund.
A fun adventure into an old murder mystery!
April Tolliver
so very slow to begin with. I got the feeling the first half of this book did nothing more than to set the stage for future books. once it actually got interesting, it was a good little read.
Esther Somorai
Feb 19, 2015 Esther Somorai rated it liked it
More mysteries to be revealed and solved, past and present. Enjoyed this one and looking forward to the next book in this series.
Sallee
Oct 13, 2013 Sallee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I find this series is in the true cozy vein. It is not fast paced but moves ahead in a manner that keeps you interested. Roe has finally married and her husband who is somewhat older has secrets which he unveils to her causing her doubt and anguish. She finds out that the couple living in the garage apartment are in reality, her bodyguards. While she deals with this information and all that it means she finds herself dealing with the mystery of her dream home. This is the home in which the form ...more
Ed
Aug 10, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Aurora Teagarden series. If ex-librarian Roe isn't tripping over corpses in this cozy series, she'll go looking for them. The home her new husband bought her had been vacant after the disappearance of the Julius family almost 7 years earlier. She is determined to search and measure every inch of the house to find the missing family. Meanwhile, she is unhappy with the extent of his activities her husband is keeping from her.

Aurora Teagarden series - Aurora (Roe) Teagarden, the former li
Julia
Jul 28, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Harris' strength is her characters, and this book focuses almost exclusively on Aurora's personal life. After several boyfriends, Aurora has finally settled--for the mysterious boyfriend she met in Three Bedrooms, One Corpse. For the first half of the novel, the main "mystery" (to me, it was pretty obvious, but it wasn't to Aurora, and perhaps a few readers may find it allusive as well) is finding out what horrible secret her husband-to-be/husband is hiding from her! During the second half of th ...more
Delonda
Apr 26, 2015 Delonda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hermioneginny
Aurora e Martin si fanno due grossi regali per l'imminente matrimonio. Aurora regala al futuro marito la fattoria in cui è cresciuto, e per farlo si reca in Ohio, dove conosce anche la sua ex moglie. Martin regala a Roe casa Julius, appena fuori città, i cui abitanti sono scomparsi alcuni anni prima, come svaniti nel nulla. Ben presto nell'appartamento sopra il garage si installano Shelby, ex commilitone di Martin, e sua moglie Angel...ma sono così misteriosi che Roe è sicura che ci sia un gross ...more
Kristi
Apr 17, 2016 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, interesting read that sees Aurora entering a new phase of her life. She's about to be married, moving into a new home that housed a town mystery for years and trying to come to terms with the secrets of her fiance's past. There are some intriguing new characters introduced in this book and how Aurora solves the mystery really does work. Worth the read if you like this series.
Emily
Oct 15, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
Normally, I’m not much of a Hallmark Movies person. I do watch the channel because I like some of the shows they re-run, which is how I found out about the Aurora Teagarden movies. I had grown tired of the books, but I watched and enjoyed both movies. After seeing the second movie, I was suddenly determined to pick up where I left off in the series.

Once I picked up The Julius House, I remembered why I wasn’t too excited about it. This book was slow going. The first half is all about Roe getting
Auggie
Jun 12, 2014 Auggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review from Auggie-Talk Book Blog.

The Julius House is the 4th book the Aurora Teagarden Mystery series by Charlaine Harris. This series predates the Sookie Stackhouse series... of which many of us loved and mourned. After the last Sookie Stackhouse book released I wanted more Harris so I figured I'd try out another of her series.

I've reviewed the first in the series already but skipped over reviewing the next two because while they were interesting they were mainly the same as the first with les
Verity W
I went out and bought this after reading Midnight Crossroads and spotting some old faces and wanting to make sure I didn't miss anymore!

Aurora Teagarden isn't my favourite of this series, and this is a little farfetched in places - although having read so many of her books now I had a couple of the plot twists spotted (and was really quite pleased with myself!). This is a fun, light mystery which you can read in a couple of hours. It perfectly suited my mood on a late night train journey home fr
Tiffany
Jul 08, 2015 Tiffany rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this series so far. I hoped that I would have continued to enjoy this series but nevertheless, this book wasn't even normal for me. Roe is having crazy emotions that aren't normal for her that weren't at least in any of the other books. She gets upset because of Martin's hidden secrets that he won't tell her or doesn't want to. She gets hysterical and crazy even. Martin's secret life seems far-fetched and unreal to me.
With the premise of a missing family, I thought that there would be
  • The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • A Vision of Murder (Psychic Eye Mystery, #3)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • The Lies That Bind (Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity Digs In (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #4)
  • Hex Marks the Spot (A Bewitching Mystery, #3)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Aurora Teagarden (9 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)