Ace on the River: An Advanced Poker Guide

Ace on the River: An Advanced Poker Guide

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  25 reviews
'Ace on the River' is no ordinary poker book. This is the first truly "advanced" guide aimed at improving your game. Written in an easy-to-read, bare bones conversational style and designed to help anyone interested in increasing their understanding of the game, this book is ideal for those new to the game or winning professionals. The fundamental philosophies presented go...more
Published June 30th 2005 by Last Knight Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Ace on the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ace on the River

Steve
Primarily a book about the mindset you should have when playing and thinking about poker, rather than a book about specific poker strategy. I've read several poker strategy books already, so I think I was ready for one like this. Good for getting your mind back in the game and helping you figure out how to think about your opponents and their possible hands. It also deals with quite a bit of away-from-the-table stuff, like making sure you have enough rest before you play. Many sections of the bo...more
Conor
I liked the biographical part just fine. The second part was mostly about the social nuances of being a live player. Also had a lot about not doing drugs or wasting your money on sports gambling. The third part was hand examples for tournament NLH which I didn't bother reading because I'm not interested in tournaments right now.
Tyler Jones
This is a heavy book - and I mean that literally. It is printed on glossy photo-stock paper that makes it so heavy that reading in bed (as I am want to do) is difficult. It is also heavy in the sense that Greenstein attempts to link the poker life to the way life in general should be conducted. I think this is a commendable approach, but what works for him won't work for everybody on that score. Still I admire the idea that a "proper" approach to life and poker (a "balanced" approach? a "generou...more
Joe
As far as poker books go, this one is a reasonable introduction and survey into the poker lifestyle. It's also a look at the life of poker pro Barry Greenstein and tells the story of how he became a professional. Some attention is paid to both cash game and tournament strategies and some useful (but not unique) charts are provided for reference. It's a quick read, and not bad for review if you've read other poker books, but overall this one doesn't break any new ground or cover material that can...more
Joseph Tafra
Pretty interesting, different to a lot of other poker books in that it focuses a lot on Greenstein's own history and on broader life-management skills necessary to poker success. The best sections in terms of improving your game are definitely the exhaustive drawing odds charts and discussion, and the sections where Greenstein invites the reader to analyse real tournament hands he has played and establish best play, then compare it to what actually happened.
Tim Merriman
Feb 19, 2008 Tim Merriman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poker players
Recommended to Tim by: Russ Dickerson
This is a fascinating book and Barry is a great poker player. I read it about three years into my poker playing hobby and still did not understand much of what is said. The pros use jargon and experience-based references so much that you will have to read this sort of book over again from time to time if you want to understand much of it. Still it's well-written and a good read if poker is your game.

Kingsley
A lot of color photos, not a how-to on playing cards but how-to be a professional player by being disciplined outside of poker. Takes a different slant in that Greenstein talks about how to be a pro vs. playing like a pro. Chronicles a little about his own journey and why he's called the Robin Hood of poker. Great read, doesn't really expand your knowledge of the game itself.
Tyler
A interesting coffee table book about more than just how to play poker. It's an interesting background on one of the games most notable players. High level discussions regarding gambling, psychology, sociology, and of course poker, are reviewed in a very easy to read fashion. Full color pictures make this a great coffee table book.
Mike Hoffman
Many people swore by this book. It was PRETTY, it was nice, but it wasn't TERRIFIC. Barry's writing comes across like his personality. Deadpan, short and incredibly bland. The things he DOES are much more interesting than the man he is. He needs someone to write things FOR him about him, because THAT would be great!
Jordan Bradford

I really didn't find a lot of instruction or insight into Poker in this book (Things like "Don't drink to excess while playing" are kinda obvious) but what does make this book a gem is the insight into Barry's story and the beautiful color photographs. It's more of a coffee table book than instruction manual.a
Jeremy
It's entirely possible that many serious poker players need to read a book that tells them to be a decent human being. I'd like to think that I'm not one of them.

The actual discussions of hands are quite informative, though, as Greenstein is as good of a player as you'll find.
Brian
Jan 19, 2009 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poker
Definitely not as much an instructional book about how to play the game well, but more of an instructional game on how to be a good poker-playing person and what sort of life The Bear has gone through to get to where he's at. After reading it, Barry's definitely my favorite!
Cyberpope
Bary's now my favourite poker player -- good expert advice for all sorts of areas of value to a budding pokerpro, like money management, choosing games to suit your skills &/or luck, & more. . .

Plus you learn a lot about Barry's personality & motivations.
Tmone75 Harris
This is an introductory book into real life experiences of being a professional player. (through the eyes of Greenstein)
If you are thinking about going pro, or want to live through the eyes of this guy You will love this book

Elliott Hayes
Great mix of auto-biography and poker but calling it 'an advanced poker guide' isn't really accurate, more of an autobiography with some hand examples and tips on dealing with the emotions of playing poker for a living.
Sam Choi
A pretty interesting read - not actually that much about specific poker strategies, but more an idea of what it's like to be a poker pro (and what you would be concerned about if you were one). Well-written, with good pacing.
Steve
This is an interesting book. This is not a how to book rather it is an insightful look at the poker world. Well written and presented. If you like/play poker you will like this book.
Glen Demers
An excellent companion to all the Sklansky/Harrington type poker books. It's more about attitude and psychology than starting hands.
Raphael Clayette
Nice book, full of poker truth and life tales. A lot of photo helps the reading too. Great book from a great (generous) man.
Jay
Not a great book to learn to play poker, but some interesting insights on the lifestyle and mindset of a poker pro.
Tim
Reviewed for Card Player; a fine book by a great mind.
Philip Shing
Knowing HOW to be good is easy. BEING good is far harder.
Vicki
This guy is just way too smart for me!
Richard Herbert
Most over rated poker book of all time?
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Munna Arif
Munna Arif marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Laurence
Laurence marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments; Volume II: The Endgame
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players (Advance Player)
  • Doyle Brunson's Super System
  • Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em
  • Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • Caro's Book of Poker Tells
  • The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time
  • The Biggest Game in Town
  • One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey ',The Kid', Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player
  • Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure into the Heart of a Gambling Country
  • Cowboys Full: The Story of Poker
  • West of Jesus: Surfing, Science and the Origins of Belief
  • C++ Coding Standards: 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices
  • Dismantling America: and other controversial essays
  • Nora: A Biography of Nora Joyce
  • Rave Master, Vol. 21
  • Wisdom of Life and Counsels and Maxims
An American professional poker player, Greenstein has won a number of major events, including three at the World Series of Poker and two on the World Poker Tour. Greenstein donates his profit from tournament winnings to charities, earning him the nickname "the Robin Hood of poker".He was elected into the Poker Hall of Fame in 2011.
More about Barry Greenstein...
Ace on the River The Badugi Chapter How I Made My First Million from Poker: A Practical Guide to Play Poker Professionally