Start by marking “Hover Car Racer” as Want to Read:
Hover Car Racer

Hover Car Racer (Hover Car Racer #1-3)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,754 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
From the hottest action author on the planet, now comes the fastest story ever told ...Imagine twenty fighter jets racing around twisting, turning aerial track, ducking and weaving and overtaking at insanely high speeds, and you've just imagined a hover car race. In the world of the near future, man travels everywhere in vehicles that hover four feet above the ground. Inev ...more
Published November 5th 2004 by Macmillan (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hover Car Racer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hover Car Racer

Jason
Jun 04, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read the back of the book I suspected that this was gonna be Matthew Reilly's weakest book. Turns out I was wrong, the pace of this book is intense, the racing really comes alive of the pages. The plot is a bit formulaic "a kid from humble background fights his way to the top to compete with the best".

As usual with a Reilly book the characters are great and you can't help but cheer them on.

I remember reading this book at work whilst doing a very boring job of using a routing machine to ma
Michael Cairns
Oct 17, 2014 Michael Cairns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I'm going to keep this short.
I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Sorry, in keeping with Mr Reilly's style of writing, I felt the capitals were deserved.
I've read all of his books and loved the early ones. Sorry, I know that's a cliche, but I've really been disappointed with the most recent series, the five something or others, the six thingamejigs and so on. I stumbled on this book without being aware of its existence and my love for Matthew Reilly has been rekindled.
I believe there are certain emotions that t
Tyson Adams
Mar 30, 2012 Tyson Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm very tempted to give this book five stars, but I'm not sure I can give a young adult audio-book like this such a high rating.

Eleven CDs kept me entertained while I was on the road for work this week. Matthew managed to keep me wide awake despite the long drives. On many occasions I found myself holding my breath and gripping the steering wheel, hoping that Jason and The Bug were okay.

Hover Car Racer is essentially Matthew Reilly for tweens and teens. He makes sure that every teen angst and t
Ernest
Apr 12, 2016 Ernest rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reilly has crafted this most wonderful sports adventure book that positively zips along, taking us along the journey of Jason Chaser and his time in the International Race School in the fictional futuristic sport of hover car racing. The plot may be a little formulaic – ‘little guy with unconventional mentor struggles against circumstances and bigger foes with odds against him’ – but that matters little when things are this entertaining. The characters come alive in the world, and Reilly does a ...more
Anuj Sharma
Jun 23, 2011 Anuj Sharma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Its strange that you know how this book will end even before you start reading it but still it keeps you on the edge of your nerves. A super paced thriller which is fast even by Matthew Reilly's standards (if that is possible) You'll find yourself cheering for Jason Chaser; urging him to win race after race battling against all odds. The characters are absolutely lovable and you develop a special bond with them, especially Bug; my favorite character. The boy speaks only once in the entire book a ...more
Gabrielle
Aug 15, 2012 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: matthew-reilly
This is, without a doubt, my favorite Matthew Reilly book. It's a fantastic read and I would recommend it to anyone who loves adventure and a fast-paced plot that twists on every page!
Karsyn
What a fantastic feel good story!! Wonderful storyline, wonderful characters. Typical Matthew Reilly insane action with everything working out perfectly in the end. Good for ALL ages, if you don't mind just a little bit of cussing. HIGHLY recommend to anyone looking for a story with heart and soul.
Dave
Sep 11, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Juvenile, clichéd, predictable nonsense. I loved every second.

This is more young-reader targeted that most of Matthew’s books (no exploding heads, no obvious deaths in fact), the dialogue has less profanity and even more gee-whiz cringe-worthiness (“Doodlebug”) if that were possible. None of this bothered me because I understand the target-market thing. And it IS indisputably still a Matthew Reilly book – incredibly fast action, maps, thin characters. I loved the prominence of Australia and the
Harry007
Feb 15, 2015 Harry007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I've always felt there was something wrong with this book. I had originally wanted to read it years ago (which I did) because of the high-octane races, those particular descriptions, but what I soon realised was that this book is pretty sucky. It basically has the author giving constant narrative summary regarding each race rather than displaying/showing what's happening up close on the circuit. I wanted to see first-hand action, not be told that the race is 'fast and furious' every single time. ...more
Dale
Mar 02, 2014 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This read was okay. A good example of building tension in a story. Since it took so long to read (well, listen as an audiobook) however, I can't let it get away without mentioning a few things that really annoyed me throughout...
1. The characters names. Every time a character was introduced I would just groan. They just don't seem imaginative at all, and are more often than not a description of the person or a corruption of a real-life name.
2. The premise that the whole world is addicted to hove
Jeremy Cartner
Nov 27, 2014 Jeremy Cartner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the middle of a Matthew Reilly marathon at the moment, and unlike most marathons which are arduous and slightly painful when your dealing with a author of the caliber of Reilly this is a very good thing.
With Hover Car Racer Matthew Reilly returns to the world of Science fiction with this fast paced action packed read set in the not too distant future where hover car racing has become the number one sport. As usual the characters and setting is instantly recognisable and the action never
Lydia
Ah, I read this book years ago for a book club competition in high school!

It's not a book I would've picked up but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless. I appreciated the writing and I found it an easy read. I did like that the author included a character who seems somewhat on the ASD spectrum but I seem to remember not liking the fact that there weren't any particularly memorable female characters apart from one, Piper.

Even though I enjoyed it, I haven't picked up any of Reilly's writing since, an
Alexander Draganov
Furious, fast paced action, which blends the traditions of Young Adult literature with the high octane action of Formula One and "Star Wars" pod racing. Heartily recommended.
Sally
Aug 09, 2015 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book 3-4 times already, but recently picked it up again to read during my 1.5 hour long train ride in the morning's. I'm not giving it five stars because it was written amazingly or has the most developed characters, but it will keep you entertained and on the edge of your seat and you can easily ignore the cliches and the simple writing. Maybe I'm a little out of the target audience range now so I nitpick about the minor details more, but I'll always love this book and I'll conti ...more
Sarah Kerr
Apr 25, 2013 Sarah Kerr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book-an easy, fun story... a favorite to re-read
Carys Martin
Apr 24, 2014 Carys Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, i received this book from my parents for my 16th birthday and honestly in the first week i had it i read it at least once a day. It is now throughly worn down but still loved to pieces

It is definitely his lightest book however does not lack on imagination and action. "Master Chaser' with the bug are two amazing young characters who never stop inspiring!! (Call me cheesy) but you have to love it!! Along with sally McDuff it tells an awesome tale of futuristic racing and i am now very keen
Annie Munster
Oct 06, 2015 Annie Munster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a FAST book. This story is fun to read and roars through at a cracking pace that mimics the hovercars themselves. All of Matthew Reilly’s stories are like this. They move quickly, the action is non-stop and big and the characters have heart. I have thoroughly enjoyed every single one of his novels and am always looking forward greatly to the next one. His latest – The Great Zoo of China – is amazing and quite possibly my favourite. Anyone who like an action blockbuster should check out a ...more
Phoebe
Jan 05, 2011 Phoebe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alones
Hover Car Racer is set in a future world, where a man discovered the secret of hover flight, and gave the technology to the world for free instead of selling it. Because hover technology requires no oil or gas, such companies collapsed when the technology was made free. Hover cars can go really fast. I mean really fast - like, over 700km/h. These high speeds meant it was only a matter of time before someone wanted to race these things.

Fourteen year old Jason Chaser is a young Australian racer a
Ajay Venkat
Hover Car Racer is a Science Fiction, Sports, and Action novel written by Australian Matthew Reilly. This book is based in the future and is about a time when hover cars are invented. The novel, as the book title suggests, is about Hover Car Racing, a sport developed in the early 21st century. The fictional technology of hover cars relies on the magnetic field of the Earth, counter-balancing it to create an ultra-fast, new type of transport. This book starts off as being set in Australia, before ...more
Ben Langdon
Arnav
Jun 27, 2016 Arnav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read and got me really into the world of hover cars. There was great description of competitors, mates as well as Jason himself. The plot was a little typical, an average boy fights his way to compete with the best. I knew what the end would be quarter way into the book, but all that does not matter when the book is so fast paced, thrilling and suspenseful that it stills keeps you hooked into it. This book gave a different feeling every chapter yet you never wanted to stop readin ...more
Sally
May 18, 2014 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While more designed for teenagers than the others, this was still every bit worth the read, and as much fun as any of the others. A car race (the sort of thing I'd never normally read) with characters you instantly care for, this brilliant Aussie written another engaging action story that's every bit worth the read. No wonder he did for teenagers what JK Rowling did for younger readers. This stuff is great, even if you're not a teen.
Samantha Richardson
Only Matthew Reilly could make me read a book on a subject I loathe. I hate car racing, and yet I love this book in a way that defies belief. Matthew's intense writing style has you gripping the book just a little too tight as you speed through the pages, eager for what happens next.

Brilliant read, especially for young boys. Highly recommend it!
Kelly
Aug 13, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Matthew Reilly doesn't fail to deliver on fast-paced, hurtling forward action with awesome characters framed in an imaginative world. I really enjoyed reading this book, loved Bug, Sally and Jason and as always, love the question and answer section at the back. Hurry up with the new book Mr Reilly!!! I can't get enough!
Helen Petrovic
Jan 23, 2014 Helen Petrovic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never met a Matthew Reilly book I didn’t like, and Hover Car Racer was no exception. This is Reilly’s offering for the teen market but still contains all his signature devices; the unbelievably skillful underdog, a dedicated team of professionals to help him, and of course, a cast of diabolical villains. He weaves a mystery into a plot which moves at the speed of the hovercars themselves – lightning fast, with endless twists and turns. Hang on and enjoy the ride.
Gabby
Oct 19, 2015 Gabby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a one day read for me, high action and super fast paced. My boyfriend read this when he was younger and encouraged me to try it, so for me it was missing the nostalgia and felt a bit middle grade. I thought the time jumping was quite poorly done but overall this was an enjoyable read
Nicola Sheridan
Jul 20, 2014 Nicola Sheridan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, action
This was a clear boys adventure story, and I loved it.Yes, there were a few cliche's and the reader's Scottish and Indian accents perhaps needed some work, but wow, the race scenes were gripping.

A great read/listen for those long road trips. Well recommended. :)
Karsyn
Soooooo cute and just as enjoyable 2nd time. Jason and Bug are GREAT characters and the action keeps moving. I love all the little things to do to figure things out and how he never ever gives up.

A GREAT "Feel good" type book, puts a smile on my face.
Menachem Spielman
A brilliant YA book from Matthew Reilly. Pure, unadulterated, high-octane fun. While it differs from his usual style, it offers itself to a younger audience while keeping it's authenticity and thrill.
Heather
Jul 04, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
My son read this in two days and loved it so decided to give it a go. It was great!! Fast paced and action-packed, I found it hard to put down. Absolutely loved the Bug!!
  • Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life
  • The Chimera Vector (The Fifth Column, #1)
  • Tom O'Bedlam
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • From E to You
  • Lucifer (Redemption, #3)
  • Being of the Field (Triad Of Being, #1)
  • Visible Light
  • Fox Hunt (Lachlan Fox, #1)
  • Incurable (The Ellie Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragonsight (The Jelindel Chronicles #3)
  • Death Force (Death Force, #1)
  • The Wizard Of Linn
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 3: The Father-Thing
  • Novels by Walter Moers: The 13 1|2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures, the City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #1, #3, #4) (Dreaming Books, #1)
  • Mandragora
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

More about Matthew Reilly...

Hover Car Racer (3 books)
  • Crash Course (Hover Car Racer, #1)
  • Full Throttle (Hover Car Racer, #2)
  • Photo Finish (Hover Car Racer, #3)