Start by marking “The Samson Effect” as Want to Read:
The Samson Effect

The Samson Effect

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Since discovering an ancient scroll in a cave in Hebron, Israel, American biblical archeologist Thomas Hamilton and his trusted friend and colleague, Israeli biblical linguist Michael Sieff, have been consumed with the notion of the Samson Effect-the idea that a long-lost elixir can allow an ordinary person to perform superhuman feats. When they happen upon a worn Hebrew p ...more
Published October 9th 2007 by iUniverse (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Samson Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Samson Effect

Susane
My cousin wrote this book! Tony is a first cousin to my husband and he and his wife actually introduced us! In fact, Tony married us, too! Anyhow, this is Tony's first work and so far, it's pretty action-packed! I just wish I had more time to sit and read the entire thing at once!
Derek
Jul 16, 2008 Derek rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a great story with lots of suspense and intrigue
Recommended to Derek by: Tony Eldridge, of course
Bang!

I slammed the book shut with a tremendous rush of satisfaction and called out in one of those obnoxious fan grunts, when their home team obliterates the opposition.

This is one excellent book and made me jealous. I want to grow up and write like Tony. (Insert appropriate whining here). He does suspense like a pro. No wonder Clive Cussler gave such a rave review. No wonder this is going to be made into a movie.

All of this elation was followed by sadness, because I want more and Tony should dr
Michael
This book takes you on a wild ride. You will feel that you are very involved with the characters as they jump off the page and include you in their journey. An excellent debut novel. Tony Eldridge will go far in the publishing world.
Janie Pendleton
SIX STARS< move over Dan Brown, here comes Tony Eldridge, writing books the way they should be written! Janie
Rai
Ancient Mystery & Intrigue awaits you in The Samson Effect

I am a big fan of ancient mysteries, action adventure stories & thrillers, so I was immediately intrigued when I came across The Samson Effect & the blurb from Clive Cussler sealed the deal. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it's an engaging read with a good sense of place, relentlessly fast pacing, and is populated with lively, colorful characters. A secret held since biblical times has been protected by an ancient order, but t
Dennis Batchelder
intriguing premise; lots of action

Tony Eldridge's premise in THE SAMSON EFFECT: the "Lord's Strength" of the Old Testament heroes was derived from an ancient, thought-to-be-extinct plant. Fast forward to today: two biblical researchers' quest to find the plant's one remaining seed trigger deadly reactions from both the protectors of the secret and a Palestinian terrorist.

The book is pretty much non-stop action: right from the start people get shot and buildings get bombed. In the midst of all t
Kerry Frey
I couldn't begin to add a better review than what Clive Cussler wrote for this wonderful debut novel, but I will add that the author is one of the most outstanding and talented individuals you will ever meet. If you don't own a copy of The Samson Effect, one could only ask "why"?
Al
Very good first offering. I will be looking forward to seeing Tony's next offering......

Thanks!
Renee Smithson
I had Tony Eldridge's son in my classroom . His sweet son told me his dad wrote books one day during show and tell. I'm so glad he shared his GREAT book with me. LOVED it! So many twist & turns!
Philip Corbett
A fantastic concept here, executed incredibly well by Tony Eldridge who, I believe, is a first time novelist.
The likening to a modern day Indiana Jones is not an exaggeration, this is a real roller coaster, thrill a minute page turner. Think Indiana Jones meets Jack Bauer, and you’ll get the idea.
Criticisms? One minor one. Mr. Eldridge has a tendency to use too many words on occasion - I stumbled over the odd sentence, but it in no way detracts from the detailed plot and the terrific action. If
Denise
The Samson Effect is a mix of The Da Vinci Code and Raiders of the Lost Ark: ancient religious artifacts are tied into current political and religious groups, everyone is pitted against one another, and the plot is abundant with spies and double-crossing and unrealistic scenarios that somehow make for page-turning adventure even as the reader suspends disbelief.

It won't win any awards, but I quite liked it.
Adam
This story is engaging and well-developed, however, my only complaint is in the resolution. Following the climactic scene, the author wraps up the plot line and character storylines as if he was restricted to a page limit. It was uncharactistic of the detail provided earlier in this work. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book for the beach-house reading it provided.
Shelley Hitz
Once I started reading, "The Sampson Effect" this weekend, I couldn't put it down. It was fast-paced and kept me interested. As the story unfolded, there were twists and turns in the plot that I didn't expect and kept it interesting.

I don't have time to read many fiction novels these days, but I'm definitely glad I read this one! Highly recommended.
Carol
I should probably give this book more stars. I had a hard time putting the book down. The characters were a little predictable, especially the females. The idea that there was something that gave Sampson his super strength is an interesting concept.
Ruth
This was a good book, but I have to say the romantic connections within the four main characters was very weak and juvenile. I did not like that part of the story at all.
Linda
A suspenseful and thrilling biblical adventure. It was nice to read a local Forney, Texas author. I liken it to a fast paced Indiana Jones thrill ride.
Carol Horton
Authors sudden shift in Hannah character not realistic (Jew & Muslim romance) based on all his other characters.
Adam Wallace
This was a pretty good book. Kept my attention and I would look for the author in the future. The read was fast.
Mike
A great (and unique) storyline and overall an enjoyable read.
Holly
Fairly good read, but it had a hard time keeping my interest
Robin
Good story line and plenty of action. I really liked this book!
Audrey
cliches abound, as do poor writing. didn't bother to finish it
Steve
Really, not very good.
Babs Cunliffe
Babs Cunliffe marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Eighth Scroll
  • Servant of the Gods
  • Secret of the Sands
  • The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness
  • The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity
  • When the Leaves Stop Falling
  • Second Chances
  • Tuesday Tells it Slant
  • A Child's Wound
  • Devil in the Making (Devilish Vignettes, #1)
  • With His Lady's Assistance (The Regent Mysteries, #1)
  • The Last Apprentice
  • In the Shadow of Babylon
  • The Protocol (James Acton Thrillers, #1)
  • Knight of Glory (Kingdom of Arnhem, #2)
  • The Hidden Will of the Dragon (Countess Elizabeth Bathory #2)
  • You Can Be Right or You Can Be Married: Love-Based Solutions for Couples
  • The Celebrated Pedestrian
Tony Eldridge is a former marketing professional and the author of the action/adventure novel, The Samson Effect, that Clive Cussler called a "first rate thriller brimming with intrigue and adventure." He is also the creator of Marketing Tips for Authors, a daily blog that gives low cost/no cost marketing advice and tips for authors trying to sell their books, especially if they are on a shoestrin ...more
More about Tony Eldridge...
The Samson Effect: A Novel Conducting Effective Twitter Contests: With Videos The Lottery Ticket: A Novel