Start by marking “Gears of Brass Anthology” as Want to Read:
Gears of Brass Anthology

Read Book* *Different edition

Gears of Brass Anthology

A world like ours, but filled with gears of brass, where the beating heart is fueled by steam and the simplest creation is a complex clockwork device.

Within this tome, you’ll find steampunk fairy tale re-tellings, as well as original stories that will send your gears turning.

Welcome to the steampunk realm, with eleven authors guiding your path.

GEARS OF BRASS is a steampunk
Published November 10th 2014 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Gears of Brass Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gears of Brass Anthology

Megan
Dec 12, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, steampunk
One of the best Steampunk anthologies I've read in a while.

The authors each contributed very unique, cliche-less tales and fairy tale retellings.

I had not heard of a few of the others but will definitely look into their other works after this collection. Well edited and beautiful, eye-catching cover!

Personal favorite story was A Clockwork Dollhouse by Jordan Elizabeth...way to start the book with a bang!

(I chose this book at NetGalley and received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest r
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
*NetGalley book review*

Well slap me silly... this is a great book of steam punk stories. I have never really read any steam punk genre literature before but this were pretty damn good.
Jeremy Mortis
Nov 21, 2014 Jeremy Mortis rated it really liked it
A great book. Easily one of the best collections of steampunk collections of 2014. Everyone who reads this will find at least one story that they will enjoy and find to be a classic.
Lexa Cain
Feb 22, 2015 Lexa Cain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
I was delighted to find fifteen stories in this book. There’s literally something for everyone, with lots of different characters, plots, and approaches to the Steam Punk genre.

Several of the tales are loosely based on different mythologies and fables, like one was a surprising twist on the Red Riding Hood story and another is a new approach to the character of Rumpelstiltskin.

My favorite stories were “Time Spun Souls” by S.A.Larsen and “My Golden Anabel” by Natalia Darcy. Both have winsome prot
MorganReadsBooks
I received this from Netgalley for my honest review. Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press

Okay so this may be this longest review I have ever written! Sorry!

One thing I want to say about Steampunk is to NEVER trust a budding relationship. Also NEVER trust a young sweet gentleman because they NEVER end up being who they portray themselves to be!! So many times in this book I was like, “Aww it’s turning into a romance,” and then he kills her! Or at least tries to. Does the love interest always have to
Medeia Sharif
Nov 28, 2014 Medeia Sharif rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I wasn’t too familiar with steampunk before reading this collection. I loved how each story took me away to a different place with mechanical creations, professors, royalty, and the like. The world building is solid. As with any anthology, some stories will appeal to the reader more than others. I certainly was enraptured by most of these tales. I read an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Tamara
Nov 08, 2015 Tamara rated it really liked it
I was given a free copy from the author in return for an honest review.

Let me first emphasize this point: THE COVER IS BEAUTIFUL Actually, a lot of Jordan Mierek's covers are gorgeous.

This book incorporates fifteen short stories, each about steam punk. Some of them, I wish would be an entire book, others, it was too short for me to comprehend.

The author built a world of machines and ideas. She created characters of all kinds and built a story of love, revenge, inventions, and losses.

The boo
Shay VanZwoll
Feb 26, 2015 Shay VanZwoll rated it really liked it
Gears of Brass is a collection of all things steampunk. With characters rich and poor, selfish and kind, clever and.. well, not... there is at least one person you will hate and one you will want to be. The steampunk elements are as varied as the characters, with stories highlighting clockwork animals, airships, vehicles, and even replacement body parts. Even if you aren't a huge fan of steampunk, you will probably find stories in here that you enjoy. While all stories in this collection at ...more
Kelly
Dec 15, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I received Gears of Brass; a Steampunk Anthology through Netgalley. My copy only contained the first story: A Clockwork Dollhouse by Jordan Elizabeth, so this review will only focus on that one.

This story is all about Robert and his niece Ainsley. Robert is a man of many secrets and Ainsley is one of them. He has kept her prisoner for a long time and now she’s out to get revenge.

I love everything about steampunk. A
Vesi Dryke
Mar 06, 2015 Vesi Dryke rated it liked it
** In exchange for a digital copy, I was asked to post an honest review on GoodReads.com within a month.**

Well.. Several of the stories were great and wrapped up, neatly. Others left me asking, "OK what just happened?" The rewritten fairy tails were a bit dark and pessimistic. I did like the more original tales that wrapped up and gave me a sense of completion.The unfinished tales were frustrating as they had potential but did not quite pan out.

I will note, adding gears to stories does NOT make
Kami
Feb 13, 2016 Kami rated it liked it
I really like steampunk! And anthologies are great! This one just isn't the best. Some of the stories have not point and bad plots. There are many spelling errors as well. In some, it is written with more formal older words and then you suddenly get a random modern word. The stories that are good are really good though! Sometimes the plots were easy to guess or there wasn't really a plot at all but overall, this is a pretty cool book! And I love the cover!
Diane
Feb 21, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing
Received a complimentary copy to read and review. Great group of short stories. Each story has something that will appeal to all types of readers. I couldn't put it down. There are some great twists and turns in the stories that will keep the reader turning the page. This is one to add to your TBR list if you love to read steampunk.
Crystal Collier
Apr 03, 2015 Crystal Collier rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I was a little sad when I finished reading this anthology. Although not all of the stories were of the same caliber, I truly enjoyed the journey and wished for more when the book ended. Most of the protagonists were female, which surprised me, but I won't complain. On to the details, eh?

A CLOCKWORK DOLLHOUSE: This was a fabulous opening to the anthology, perhaps a bit macabre, but definitely engaging. I was rooting for revenge.

ZEUS' FIRE: Such a unique marriage of mythology and steampunk, with s
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
2.5/5 Stars

Steampunk girl

I really wanted to adore this book. It is a compilation of steampunk stories from several authors (heavily featuring Jordan Elizabeth Mierek). Short stories have to leave an impression in one way or another. Most of these floated out of my head as soon as I finished them.

Memorable/Worthwhile Stories: These rated a 3-4/5 Stars for me.

Clockwork Dollhouse:
creepy doll

Creepy story that leaves you with vivid impressions - in some ways very Twilight Zone-ish in feel.

Clockwork Wolf:
Clockwork wolf

Evil Red Riding
Demitiger
Mar 01, 2015 Demitiger rated it really liked it
Fantastic read. Each story adds to a world that I think should be better explored. A few of the stories had me wishing there was more because they seemed to end abruptly with it closure.
Paula Genereau
Sep 26, 2016 Paula Genereau rated it it was amazing
What amazing stories. I loved this
Mike
For me, choosing to pick up a steampunk anthology of authors I'm unfamiliar with is the triumph of hope over experience. Steampunk, all too often, consists of wonderful ideas poorly executed. In the first three stories of this book, though, I encountered OK ideas executed to a mediocre standard. That's as far as I got, because life is too short to read books I'm not particularly enjoying.

The first and third stories, by the editor, Jordan Elizabeth, were also darker than I prefer. They reveal a
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.)

2.5 stars, as on average the stories ranged from "it's OK" to "I like it" for me, but not more—which is too bad, because, well, steampunk? How come I didn't like this more!

My problems with this anthology were some cases of bad editing (spelling mistakes), but mainly the fact that most stories left me with a strong feeling of unfulfilled expectations. As soon as I'd get into a plot, and get excited about it and how it might pan o
Carrie
Jan 08, 2015 Carrie rated it it was ok
I wanted to love it. I love steampunk. I didn't love this book. I tried and tried and tried. The short , stories were too short and didn't leave me feeling like they were finished at all. A few of the stories were good but could've been better. I admit I gave up after about half way. I just couldn't continue reading little nuggets that left me wondering why they stopped when and where they did.

Clockwork Dollhouse, Zeus' Fire, Clockwork Wolf, Lana's End were my favorites that I did read, but I wi
Ashley Tomlinson
Apr 06, 2015 Ashley Tomlinson rated it it was amazing
This was the first time I ever read anything to do with steampunk. I'm a fan of the outfits I've seen people wear and the cool, unique things they've created but I never read anything about it. I can honestly say that I am now a fan! Each one of these stories was insanely interesting. They were all very different from each other and it wasn't at all confusing. That was my worry at first that there would be too many cooks in the kitchen and it would end well but I am so glad I was wrong.

I really
wrecked_life
Jul 27, 2015 wrecked_life rated it it was amazing
It was so much fun reading this book. All stories are interesting and highly entertaining. Some are excellent, some good and I love the whole book. I'm so glad I got to read this book. I think I've developed a taste for steampunk, a genre allien to me not so long ago. I recommend this delightful read to all my friends and readers. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Anna
Jan 28, 2015 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Provided to me by netgalley for an honest review.
First off I love steampunk. Its one of my favorite genres. I was really excited to read this collection. I was a bit disappointed by this collection of stories. i liked five of them and the rest were just not what I wanted to read. Some were good and others okay. The writing was not what I liked. Overall an okay novel
Kandy
Jul 27, 2016 Kandy rated it really liked it
A book full of Steampunk short stories. I thought that some of the stories would make great books. Full of very interesting characters.
Anthony
Mar 06, 2015 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Interesting mix of steampunk stories. You get to jump between different worlds, steampunk inventions, and characters - fun mix.
Chrissy Dyer
Jul 09, 2015 Chrissy Dyer rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous collection of Steampunk stories!!
Rebekah Crain
May 03, 2016 Rebekah Crain rated it really liked it
Steampunk has been around for a little while, but it's only recently that I've really taken the opportunity to check it out firsthand. I believe this is the third or fourth steampunk genre book I've read this year, and I keep being overwhelmed by the creativity that goes into them. Who knew that taking a story that is simply average on its own and adding in some brass and copper, cogs, and steam machinery could make it so much more?

This anthology held a treasure trove of wonderful short stories
Alexandra
Jun 02, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was ok
This anthology was provided by the editor at no cost.

I have an ambivalent relationship to steampunk. I really like the concept of taking a period like the Victorian or Edwardian and adding a bit more tech - they were already doing so much with what they had that it's sometimes only a slight stretch to give them a bit more. But steampunk can also really not work sometimes. I don't demand complete scientific explanations for my aetheric monitors but the world does need to have a sense of consisten
Loni
Apr 02, 2015 Loni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through a giveaway, and I was pretty excited when I got it. However, it didn't end up being the right fit for me.

The Key Girl was my favorite of the collection, and I'd easily rank it at 5 stars. The characters had fantastic personality. I will likely read more from Grant Eagar because of this story. Eagar made me laugh, which was unique to this collection.

Though Clockwork Wolf (third story in the collection) was an interesting twist on an old tale, it was the first to dishearte
Book Gannet
Apr 03, 2015 Book Gannet rated it it was ok
This collection of fifteen short stories (five written by Jordan Elizabeth) take a well-written look at the steampunk genre with plenty of clockwork creatures, some airships and lots of mechanical mischief. However, much though I wanted to enjoy it, I just didn’t. If you love the steampunk genre for all the trappings (Victorian-esque settings, clockwork, steam, convoluted plots) then you might get something out of this, but personally I need to at least like some of the characters to care enough ...more
Nash Norden
I received a copy of Gears of Brass through NetGalley, but only for the first chapter, A Clockwork Dollhouse by Jordan Elizabeth. I enjoyed the first story, and bought a copy to read other stories.

Gears of Brass was a collection of fifteen stories. Each story in this anthology is unique in a different characters, plots and writing style. There are some really good stories that I really enjoyed and some that was quite okay, and some that wasn't so great. There are stories that made me wanting to
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Jul 20, 2015 09:38AM
  • Chronology (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • The Buried Covenant
  • Common Descent (Darwin's Children, #3)
  • Aftershock (Rise of the Unseelie, #1)
  • The Vampire Underground (Grisly High #1)
  • Amber Passion (The Enchanters, #3)
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • The Redcastle Redemption (The Athena Effect #4)
  • Vonnegut and Douglas Adams rewrite Brave New World and find The Future Perfect
  • Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird
  • Wildflower (Wildflower, #1)
  • What Once Was One (The Passage of Hellsfire, #2)
  • Prototype D (Prototype D #1)
  • Veiled Innocence (The Soul Cycle, #1)
  • Mercenary (Little Death Bringer, #1)
  • On Dark Shores: The Lady
  • When Fully Fused (Schasm, #3)
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)