Start by marking “Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross” as Want to Read:
Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross

Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  1,617 ratings  ·  47 reviews

Mythology returns, in a newly expanded paperback edition of the book Entertainment Weekly awarded a grade of A, saying: “Alex Ross brings to his work an unparalleled sense of the real. His heroes–both super and mortal–have weight; they exist in space,
Published November 8th 2005 by Pantheon (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mythology

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
412th out of 2,143 books — 4,922 voters

More lists with this book...

(More pictures at

This book on Alex Ross comic art is stunning. There are comics where the characters are brought to life by the art and story, but you know that they are still created from imagination. With Alex Ross, it seems like he's drawing a character that really exists. His sense of realism is unparalleled. He blurs the line between fantasy and reality.

He's compared often with Norman Rockwell and it's apt, but Alex Ross is in a class of his own too. He, too, uses photograp
Jun 03, 2008 Shark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who appreciate art
Recommended to Shark by: Jared Gillins
This is great as a coffee table book -- its large size, the flashy colors, the ornate artwork... it was meant for casual perusing. I've probably flipped through this book a few dozen times, but only recently decided to read it cover to cover, page by page.

The result was a confirmation that this is indeed a very segmented read, each page respectable as standalone works of art and observation. If you come over to my house and sit on my couch without picking this up for a few seconds, you're missin
My "second" look of 2013 of...

The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross
Pretty much says it all.
If you're a fan of Ross and DC (like moi)... this is a great addition to your collection.

OK, so after getting The Dynamite Art of Alex Ross, I just had to pull this back off the shelf and give it another look-thru.

Great looking book with great looking art. I think I may be over-dosing on Ross's paintings though, so time to put it aside and move on to something else.
Kenny Mitchell
An amazing story! It's with mythology we find our basis for truth and reality. In this tome we are given the beautiful art of Alex Ross to boot! Check out this wonderful book. You will be glad that you did!
Met Ross at an event held at the Random House office promoting the publication of Mythology (Kingdom Come also signed).
I'm a huge fan of Alex Ross' work. His paintings of super-heroes look like photographs, and I love it. I've had this book for a few years, and, even if you're not a comic fan, you should flip through a copy just to be amazed by his talent.
"Mythology" is not only a superb collection of the breathtaking comic-book artwork of Alex Ross (he's known for his photorealistic paintings of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and their brethren -- pictures that have to be seen in high-quality reproductions, such as those in this book, to be properly appreciated), it's also a lovely recounting of both his lifelong love affair with the comics and his obviously close relationship with both his parents. His childhood drawings of Superman are as char ...more
Christopher Ryan
Alex Ross is one of my favorite comic artists and this book celebrates his work wonderfully. If you like his stuff at all, you will love this.
Appena avrò due minuti aggiungerò al database l'edizione italiana di questo volume.
Wow. Only a talent of this caliber can present some of the most iconic figures known in our cultural sphere as being more than 2D images, but flesh and blood. It's a testament to the talent of Alex Ross that he can create such vibrancy through the use of gouache. The only reason why I didn't give this book a five-star rating was that it could have benefited from more material documenting his process from inception to end and all the steps inbetween--similar to how creation of the cover image was ...more
Mary Catelli
Some truly striking renditions of iconic superheroes -- with some of his history and development as an artist.
Alex Ross brought fine art to comic books, and really revolutionized comic book art. This is a collection of many of his works. It's a marvelous piece for any art fan, any comic book fan, or for anyone who is both. Sometimes you look at his art and find it unbelievable that someone did that with a paintbrush and paint. You actually get to meet the real Superman and real Batman in his paintings. They're so lifelike and wonderful to look at.
The art is, of course, gorgeous. But the likelihood is that anyone who is fan enough to read the book will also have read "Kingdom Come", and so much space could have been better spent on "behind the scenes" images and harder to find pieces than on blown-up panels from his more famous books. That and it seemed that the last chunk of the book was one big plug for the then-forthcoming "Justice" series.
"norman rockwell did comic books?"

a great coffee table book and an intersting read to one of the comic industry's premiere and iconic artists, alex ross. his art is so human and his portrayal of these larger than life superheroes makes them seem so real. just look at any of his batman renditions. nuff said.
My wife gave me this book for my birthday by mistake, I'd say it was one of the best mistakes she's made. This book is amazing and Alex Ross has rekindled my interest in comic books by creating pictures that are so real, at times you have to remind yourself it is only a painting, and a watercolor at that.
Starlight Palsu
This one is The Holy Grail for any Alex Ross fans, as most of his important paintings are collected here. It also provides access on how Ross paints his masterpieces.

His paintings are simply breathtaking, and superheroes will never look the same again once they're painted by Alex Ross.
I've only perused certain parts of this book, but I know enough to say that this is an absolute keeper. Alex Ross has revolutionised comic book art with his hyper-realistic illustrative style, imbuing all his characters with a mythological and heroic pathos. Amazing.
I love this man's art. Even when I don't always agree with certain image choices, I'm always awed by the beauty, realism, and magnitude of his work. This book is a must-have for Ross fans, and a must-see for anyone who thinks comics are just kid stuff.
Serge Pierro
Stunning.... An amazing collection of Ross's artwork of DC characters from throughout the years. Includes childhood artwork, pencil sketches, models/photography, painting, final art, breakdowns, storyboards etc. Absolutely breathtaking....
I don't care much for his style but it's a well-made big book you can spend a lot of enjoyable time with. Lots of sketches, paintings, and other stuff from throughout his career, plus Ross's thoughts about the work.
Zachary Roper
beautiful book, gorgeous art, loads of inspiration from a true comics master. Seeing Alex Ross' sketches makes me want to go back to art school and study the masters. Definite must-own for comics fans.
Zohar -
Great Art. If you love the art of Alex Ross, this book is a must. Great pictures of some of his best work, explanations, and the work in progress to finished painting. Glossy, big, and amazing.
I learned that I need to work harder. This guy is amazing. He even grew up in Lubbock, Texas. I really dig his work, it is the single best reference for exciting figure work that I have come across.
Got it as a great x-mas gift from my friend Bancha. It just throws together a lot of Ross's DC art into one volume, and adds some cool commentary and behind the scenes stuff.
A good book to read if your a fan of DC comics. It has alot of information about the famous characters background and the artists who designed them. Hopefully they make a DC film
Beautiful artwork and exploration of how superheroes are our modern mythology, gods, goddesses, demigods, etc - Ross' art is so realistic it leaps off the page.
Kevin de Ataíde
Alex Ross' DC artwork. Also a biography of the artist. This is the stuff of legend. I'm surprised that more artists have not been able to match Mr. Ross.
Eugene Caputi
Great coffee table book. I'm partial to Marvel, but I grew up with DC. If you like DC comic heroes this is the book for you.
Einnar Espinosa
No hay nada mejor que Alex Ross... Y esta colección de imágenes que leí hace uhhhhh, lo avala.
Great coffee table book, heavy on the images and light on the text. Perfect for this type of work.
  • The DC Comics Encyclopedia