Start by marking “I Am a Barbarian” as Want to Read:
I Am a Barbarian

Edgar Rice Burroughs

I Am a Barbarian

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Edgar Rice Burroughs. I Am a Barbarian. Tarzana: Burroughs, 1967. First edition. Octavo. 287 pages. Jeff Jones illustrations.
Published January 1st 1978 by Ace Books (NY) (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about I Am a Barbarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am a Barbarian

Tincangoat
This is my first Edgar Rice Burroughs book. I never picked his works up before because all I knew about was Tarzan from watching old movies and I really don't like the Tarzan character.

I'm not sure what made me pick it up at the used bookstore, probably the Boris-painted cover. Once home—even though in the middle of another, longer book by GRRM that I had accidentally left at work that day—I started reading the book and I was hooked. I read over a hundred pages that night, something I almost nev
Brian Thornton
As a boy I devoured everything I could get my hands written on by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It was the 70s, and his stuff was enjoying a resurgence thanks to new paperback editions of his Tarzan books (Ballantine) and everything else (Ace).

I AM A BARBARIAN is without doubt the best thing Burroughs ever wrote. Funny, action-packed, well-researched and ultimately poignant, he never did better (and with his canon of works, that's saying something!).
Michael Mcpherson
One of Burroughs best one shot stories. The book has the classic elements that are in all of his books: Savage hero, damsel in distress, wicked mastermind and man vs wild animals. The setting of Rome is a departure from the undiscovered/ untamed lands you would normally find in one of his books. The modern man lost in the wild has been replaced with the savage in the city. There is little or no questioning who is right or wrong in the writing style employed, and it can be relaxing to read the st ...more
Indika De Silva
The following novel is the narration by Britannicus to his unnamed son about his life story. Britannicus is a brash, brave and outspoken slave that belongs to the mad Roman Emperor Caligula and the tale contains historical elements associated with the rule of Caligula and Tiberius from a first person perspective.

The biggest problem I had with the whole story is that it is rushed from start to end. Hardly any character development is allowed and the story ends very abruptly. Had it been written
Neil
By 1941 Edgar Rice Burroughs as a novelist seemed to be pretty much washed up, his novels for the previous 10 or 15 years had been getting ever more derivative and silly until they ended up little more than parodies of his early glories. What hope than can there be for this novel written in 1941 and not published until 1967, is it so bad that they waited until 19 years after Burroughs death to publish it? The answer is a resounding no this is Burroughs at his best a different Burroughs to usual ...more
Jack
Let me get this straight. The author of Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, At the Earth's Core, The Land That Time Forgot wrote a historical novel about the reign of Caligula, one of the top 5 crazy emperors of Rome?
You're pulling my leg...right?

As the note on back cover states: Only Edgar Rice Burroughs could have written such an epic novel of historical adventure, a novel that transcends fantasy and transforms reality itself"
Ok, now you're pulling the other leg.

So with "I am a Barbarian", John Carte
Vincent
Cover is misleading. There's far less Barbarians fighting beasts while super sexy women cling to their muscular calves than one would normally want in a book titled, "I Am a Barbarian."
Otis Campbell
I am CALIGULA
Glutton of Gluttons
Men over women
Man over woman
The whore of all men
Mars Weston
Really liked it. My first Edgar Rice Burroughs book, and it was great. The narrative combined with the history made for a great story. Truly felt like I was transported to Rome under Caligula's rule. Burroughs has a way of telling a story that is straight forward but not boring in the slightest. Kind of reminds me of Ray Bradbury in a weird way. Maybe it's simply that they're both great storytellers. I look forward to reading the Barsoom books.
Marian Willeke
My initial thoughts was that this book would be a fantasy book set in the Roman Empire era, but in fact it was an excellently done fiction historical account of a slave's perspective during Caligula's lifetime. My utter fascination with the 'divine' family had me zipping through the pages, and I was pleased to see that it correlated extremely well to factual history. It's a fun quick read.
Rae
Horribly sexist cover, but an awesome novel about a slave during the days of Caligula. I read it at age seventeen and have never forgotten it.
William J. Shep
Rousing tale of a captured Briton forced to serve the evil Roman emperor, Caligula, as a slave, before exacting the ultimate revenge.
Nathan Langford
Typical Burroughs style but better than my expectations.
Charles
A very strong one from ERB. Set in Ancient Rome.
Theboss
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!!!
Harold
A pretty darned good story!
Mario
Mario marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Amberle Husbands
Amberle Husbands marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
W HRV
W HRV marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Tyler Cox
Tyler Cox marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Tim Schneider
Tim Schneider marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Red Nails
  • The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1)
  • The Solar Queen (Solar Queen, #1-2)
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • The Last King: Rome's Greatest Enemy
  • An Ill Fate Marshalling (Dread Empire, #7)
  • The Helmsman
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 2 (Rurouni Kenshin #4-6)
  • A Messiah at the End of Time (Dancers at the End of Time, #5)
  • The Sword (Raj Whitehall, #5)
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
  • Patriots
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)