Start by marking “I Am a Barbarian” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I Am a Barbarian

Edgar Rice Burroughs

I Am a Barbarian

Edgar Rice Burroughs. I Am a Barbarian. Tarzana: Burroughs, 1967. First edition. Octavo. 287 pages. Jeff Jones illustrations.
Published January 1st 1978 by Ace Books (NY) (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about I Am a Barbarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am a Barbarian

Tincangoat
Jan 29, 2012 Tincangoat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Edgar Rice Burroughs book. I never picked his works up before because all I knew about was Tarzan from watching old movies and I really don't like the Tarzan character.

I'm not sure what made me pick it up at the used bookstore, probably the Boris-painted cover. Once home—even though in the middle of another, longer book by GRRM that I had accidentally left at work that day—I started reading the book and I was hooked. I read over a hundred pages that night, something I almost nev
Brian Thornton
May 16, 2011 Brian Thornton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a boy I devoured everything I could get my hands written on by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It was the 70s, and his stuff was enjoying a resurgence thanks to new paperback editions of his Tarzan books (Ballantine) and everything else (Ace).

I AM A BARBARIAN is without doubt the best thing Burroughs ever wrote. Funny, action-packed, well-researched and ultimately poignant, he never did better (and with his canon of works, that's saying something!).
Jack
Mar 14, 2013 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me get this straight. The author of Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, At the Earth's Core, The Land That Time Forgot wrote a historical novel about the reign of Caligula, one of the top 5 crazy emperors of Rome?
You're pulling my leg...right?

As the note on back cover states: Only Edgar Rice Burroughs could have written such an epic novel of historical adventure, a novel that transcends fantasy and transforms reality itself"
Ok, now you're pulling the other leg.

So with "I am a Barbarian", John Carte
Neil
Jun 21, 2010 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By 1941 Edgar Rice Burroughs as a novelist seemed to be pretty much washed up, his novels for the previous 10 or 15 years had been getting ever more derivative and silly until they ended up little more than parodies of his early glories. What hope than can there be for this novel written in 1941 and not published until 1967, is it so bad that they waited until 19 years after Burroughs death to publish it? The answer is a resounding no this is Burroughs at his best a different Burroughs to usual ...more
Robert Gustavo
When I was growing up, my father's office/study had a complete collection of the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs in cheap paperback form, with the expected Tarzans and Barsooms and Pellucidors, and then the progressively less successful series of adventure on the moon, adventures on Venus, etc. Those are all wonderful in their own way, and anyone who does not love a grand adventure fighting monsters in space has no soul.

And then there was this: a historical novel about Caligula, told from the poin
Jim Linsa
Well written (within the parameters of an almost grade school literary level). Holds the attention. Possibly an influence on Philip Jose Farmer. Glides along on the surface all the way through, scrupulously detailing each and every atrocious, insane act committed by Caligula during his few years as Caesar, probing nothing deeply and without any dramatic content. A sugar coated history lesson.

Possibly okay for young people, as all Caligula's horrible cruelties are roundly condemned, and the main
Indika De Silva
The following novel is the narration by Britannicus to his unnamed son about his life story. Britannicus is a brash, brave and outspoken slave that belongs to the mad Roman Emperor Caligula and the tale contains historical elements associated with the rule of Caligula and Tiberius from a first person perspective.

The biggest problem I had with the whole story is that it is rushed from start to end. Hardly any character development is allowed and the story ends very abruptly. Had it been written
Michael Mcpherson
One of Burroughs best one shot stories. The book has the classic elements that are in all of his books: Savage hero, damsel in distress, wicked mastermind and man vs wild animals. The setting of Rome is a departure from the undiscovered/ untamed lands you would normally find in one of his books. The modern man lost in the wild has been replaced with the savage in the city. There is little or no questioning who is right or wrong in the writing style employed, and it can be relaxing to read the st ...more
Richard
Feb 06, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book comes highly recommended from many sources and that may contribute to it not reaching the esteemed pedestal I may have put it on. This is a great story, all of Burroughs stories are. It is told in first person perspective which is always a plus for me. For me, the story begins strong with the main character narrating with humor and contempt for all Romans, but the closing seemed rushed and more about Caligula than Britannicus. Finally if you enjoyed the unrelenting action in the John C ...more
William Stafford
As usual, a cracking read from ERB but what sets this one apart from others is not only is it a rip-roaring adventure it is also a historical novel. A young Briton is captured and enslaved to the Roman empire. He becomes the lifelong companion of none other than the deranged Caligula. Through the eyes of the slave Britannicus we follow Caligula's rise as well as his swift and brutal fall. ERB fills his history with his usual clarity of style, some exciting action-filled set pieces (chariot races ...more
Mars Weston
Sep 04, 2013 Mars Weston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it. My first Edgar Rice Burroughs book, and it was great. The narrative combined with the history made for a great story. Truly felt like I was transported to Rome under Caligula's rule. Burroughs has a way of telling a story that is straight forward but not boring in the slightest. Kind of reminds me of Ray Bradbury in a weird way. Maybe it's simply that they're both great storytellers. I look forward to reading the Barsoom books.
Marian Willeke
Sep 12, 2009 Marian Willeke rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
My initial thoughts was that this book would be a fantasy book set in the Roman Empire era, but in fact it was an excellently done fiction historical account of a slave's perspective during Caligula's lifetime. My utter fascination with the 'divine' family had me zipping through the pages, and I was pleased to see that it correlated extremely well to factual history. It's a fun quick read.
Vincent
Jun 11, 2014 Vincent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cover is misleading. There's far less Barbarians fighting beasts while super sexy women cling to their muscular calves than one would normally want in a book titled, "I Am a Barbarian."
William  Shep
Jan 29, 2009 William Shep rated it it was amazing
Rousing tale of a captured Briton forced to serve the evil Roman emperor, Caligula, as a slave, before exacting the ultimate revenge.
Rae
Nov 07, 2010 Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horribly sexist cover, but an awesome novel about a slave during the days of Caligula. I read it at age seventeen and have never forgotten it.
Tim Mcnulty
Tim Mcnulty rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2014
Edward Erdelac
Edward Erdelac rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Ryan Long
Ryan Long rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2010
Gordon Jones
Gordon Jones rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2010
Edward Hall
Edward Hall rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Craig Herbertson
Craig Herbertson rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Greatbert
Greatbert rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
David Clancy
David Clancy rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
John Marnien
John Marnien rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Charles Rosenthal
Charles Rosenthal rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
Jeff Crosby
Jeff Crosby rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Marc Leroux
Marc Leroux rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Red Nails
  • The Solar Queen (Solar Queen, #1-2)
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs : Master of Adventure
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage, #1)
  • Reap the East Wind (Dread Empire, #6)
  • Conan the Warlord
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Lost Prince (The Dark Border, #1)
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...