Start by marking “The Complete World of Greek Mythology” as Want to Read:
The Complete World of Greek Mythology

The Complete World of Greek Mythology

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  892 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Greek myths are among the most complex and influential stories ever told. From the first millennium BC until today, the myths have been repeated in an inexhaustible series of variations and reinterpretations. They can be found in the latest movies and television shows and in software for interactive computer games. This book combines a retelling of Greek myths with a compr ...more
Published June 28th 2004 by Thames & Hudson

To ask other readers questions about The Complete World of Greek Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete World of Greek Mythology

Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited by Aldous HuxleyAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules VerneThe War of the Worlds by H.G. WellsDanny the Champion of the World by Roald DahlLet the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
The World
21st out of 170 books — 22 voters
The Odyssey by HomerThe Iliad by HomerHomeric Hymns by HomerThe Children's Homer by Padraic ColumD'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire
Homer: The Blind Bard of Chios
36th out of 96 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg Strandberg
You really can't go wrong with Greek mythology, and this book will give you lots of characters and stories. I got this book from the public library, so there's not a lot to crow about. There are some boring parts, but if you're looking for a quick rundown, this is a good way to go.
Heather
Really well organized book. Meant to introduce the subject of Greek Mythology in context. Excellent for high school and early college students who want solid contextual understanding of this subject.
Ann
I loved it. I'm a HUGE greek-roman mythology nerd.
Natalie
I really love mythology(preferably greek). I loved reading this book because it gave me all the stories in one book but they did leave out some tiny details, kinda like an abridged version. I really do recommend it though!
Christina
Reads like a textbook, must be a textbook - okay, I guess, if you're into scholarly arguments. I expected more of the actual stories included, I think I had the wrong expectations for this type of book.
Donne Knudsen
At only halfway through this book, I've decided to forgo finishing it. I've tried to like this book, really!!! The last 20-30pgs have been really tough to get through. I guess I like my greek mythology is story format, kind of like the Iliad and Odyssey. This was definitely NOT that. It was actually really confusing to read. Once again, love greek mythology but next time I'm in the mood for it, I will be much more selective about the kind of book I choose to spend my time reading.
Victoria
Too textbook for me - needed to start with something more simplistic.
Frank Hering
Very useful. Very informative.
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
A great resource to pick up for anyone interested in a basic overview of Greek myths and their significance on Greek culture. However, because this book took more of a Greek civilization route, the myths themselves were bare-boned. I would have preferred a more in depth look into the variation that exist in various Greek myths.

Overall, I enjoyed reading through this. Now I really need my professor to send us that list of recommended readings for the summer...
Anna
Seriously, the day I have children I hope I'll have the guts :-) to unplug the TV once in a while and get them hooked on the Greek myths instead: love, revenge, humor - who needs soaps??
Felicia Change
This was my prescribed book for my Greek Mythology in context course at university. It is very informative and has pictures. Definitely pick this up if you are doing research.
Ashley Chen
For the most part this book was good but some parts are so vague that it is hard to learn from it.
Lisa
Sep 10, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I loved this book, which is pretty much an overview of the Greek myths. I would have preferred a little more in depth in some places, but I guess that's what Homer is for.
Moody Claire
i really loved greek mythology... every single story included in it is so lovable and awesome! Like echo and paris, odysseus, jason and the argonauts etc...
Lauren
Even though this book shows to give a good overview of myths I was not that impressed with the set up of writing style in general.
Nicki Parayno
I love mythology and yes, like others, I expected stories but only found textbook-like material. Very well-organized though.
Megan Creel
Useful for quick research, the book has a very easy to use format for finding what you need to know.
Francin
Aug 30, 2012 Francin added it
Shelves: classics
Was obsessed with greek mythology during high school. Wanted to make a novel out of it before.
Venie venie
Saya suka Icarus...suka sekali...saya ingin jadi icarus tanpa terbakar matahari..
Heidi Origer
I love Greek Mythology. I've always enjoyed reading their stories growing up.
Barry
Apr 11, 2009 Barry added it
Shelves: religion
Fun to read, but those Greeks just had too many characters and stories.
Radit malasmembaca
before there is philosophy, one must seek answer under the marvelous mythology
Amy
Aug 19, 2009 Amy marked it as wishlist
The Complete World of Greek Mythology by Richard Buxton (2004)
Winna
Feb 19, 2008 Winna added it
Shelves: most-wanted
I want this book!!! But it's so expensive..
Mansour
Very interesting book
Phutch
Very enlightening
Michael Booth
Michael Booth marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Joeu Pangan
Joeu Pangan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Alejandra Bernal
Alejandra Bernal marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • Classical Mythology
  • Gods, Demigods & Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology
  • The Gods of the Greeks
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World
  • The Greek Myths
  • World Mythology: An Anthology of Great Myths and Epics
  • Gods and Myths of Northern Europe
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Myths from Mesopotamia: Creation, the Flood, Gilgamesh, and Others
  • Mythology
  • Myths of the Greeks and Romans
  • The Greek Way
  • The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony
  • Parallel Myths
  • Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs
  • Greek Mythology
Imaginary Greece: The Contexts of Mythology Forms of Astonishment: Greek Myths of Metamorphosis Oxford Readings in Greek Religion From Myth to Reason?: Studies in the Development of Greek Thought Myths and Tragedies in Their Ancient Greek Contexts