Start by marking “Helliconia, l'été (Helliconia #2)” as Want to Read:
Helliconia, l'été  (Helliconia #2)

Helliconia, l'été (Helliconia #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  846 ratings  ·  22 reviews

Helliconia, planète de type terrestre, tourne autour de deux soleils, Batalix et Freyr.

Elle accompagne Batalix, naine rouge, autour de Freyr, une étoile géante, en mille huit cent vingt-cinq petites années de Batalix. Parce que cette grande orbite est très elliptique, Helliconia connaît un terrible hiver de plus de cinq cents ans et un été torride de même durée.

Après Le Pr

Published November 1st 2007 by Livre de Poche (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Helliconia, l'été, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helliconia, l'été

Nicolas
En vieillissant, on change quand même pas mal.
C'est la première réflexion qui m'est venue à l'esprit, une fois cet épais roman terminé.
De là à dire qu'on devient ronchon, il n'y a qu'un pas ... que je ne franchirai pas ;-)
Pour en revenir à ce roman, il raconte l'histoire du roi JandalAnganol, de la reine MirdemIngala, et de quelques autres personnages, dans cette époque torride qu'est l'Eté d'Helliconia. Parce qu'à cause de son système binaire, le temps est terriblement chaud en cette saison ......more
Ian
Possibly the weakest of the three, it's certainly the longest. Again we get a broad, complex and multi-layered plot involving numerous characters as Helliconia approaches the height of it's summer. This time the action spans most of the inhabited parts of the planet, instead of being based almost entirely in Oldorando (Embruddock). The level of civilisation has advanced to something like the late middle ages, but so has the politics with countries being almost constantly in one war or another an...more
Rafal Jasinski
Dbałość o detale, niesamowicie dopracowanie świata, będącego swoistą paralelą ziemskiego średniowiecza, wzbogaconego o elementy z pogranicza science-fiction i fantasy a co za tym idzie, masą nawiązań do ważkich wydarzeń historycznych, czy naszych odkryć naukowych (ze wskazaniem na swoistą odmianę teorii doboru naturalnego) - tym, niewątpliwie "Lato Helikonii" ujmuje i zachwyca.

W świat ów wprowadził autor doskonale nakreślone, niejednowymiarowe postaci, których losy krzyżują się często w zaskakuj...more
Patrick
Finished this straight after the previous Helliconia Spring.

It's a more complex book, as Aldiss fleshes out other parts of the continents of Helliconia - set several centuries after the previous one, although nicely referring back to the 'myths' containing the protagonists in the previous book like Aoz Roon and Shay Tal.

I like the complexities in general, the changing balances of power between religion, state, and the projection of increasingly complex societies and technologies as the "summer"...more
So far, I’ve completed 2/3 of the Helliconia series by Brian Aldiss. They’re categorized as science fiction, and while they are most definitely fiction, you can’t count out the science part of it. Sometimes I felt like I needed a degree to follow Aldiss’ lengthy explanations of the hows and whys Helliconian ecology was the way it was. There was also such a psychological edge to the story that after a few chapters, there was no way you could ever doubt the reasons for the Queen of England awardin...more
Janet
Re-reading it after years. I am enjoying the trilogy. Finding it quite spellbinding, a myriad of characters and species, and in this one in particular an odyssey around the planet's varied and majestic landscape and ecology.
Cecile
In this second season on Helliconia, compared to the first book, the point of view is still somewhat fuzzy, but I think the characterization is a bit better.
The hot season is now at its full and everybody becomes heated, so that this part is more about politics and wars, but still influenced by the weather, this time an extreme heat.
Mo
This book has points where it feels like it is dragging. Put those points are well worth it when you get to the end of the book and see how all that random stuff ties together. Just like the first book, it ends abruptly, but the storylines are wrapped up enough that it leaves you wondering what will happen next.
Edward Davies
If you can get passed the sheer volume of this trilogy you'll find a well thought through universe that Aldiss has clearly put a lot of thought into. Sadly for me this didn't really get going until Winter, by which time I'd already felt like the first two thirds of the series had been something of a waste.
Simon
Some development from the first volume. The relationship between the natives and the human observers becomes clearer, and the theme of progress, challenging received wisdom and increasing knowledge is even stronger. It's still too long, though. Lots of murky political intrigue which was less than gripping.
Kyrie
The middle book of the triology has more intrigue than the other two - I don't know if the summer heat brings out the deviance in people or what. It's like they have plenty and life is good, so they're bored and invent problems so they have a struggle
Hojaplateada
Me gustó. Es bastante complicado en cuanto a la diplomacia, por momentos me hacía acordar a Dune, pero con una narrativa no tan atrapante. Igual, sigue siendo bueno, y todavía me falta la parte 3 para terminar la trilogía y ver el final
The scale of the story and the narrator's indifference to individual characters gives me epic shivers. The world Helliconia feels dangerous, disgusting, weird, but real.
Benjamin
Not quite as good as the first book, but still enjoyable. A bit less focus on the culturally level with more on the politics of the characters and nations.
Oscar
Me ha sorprendido gratamente.

Un mundo en un sistema binario que tiene dos años, uno de duración similar al terrestre y otro que dura cientos de años.
Robert Day
This is a series that has haunted me ever since I read it.
Cathy
Great content, but a little slow for my taste.
Tim
Good, but not as good as the first.
Ericthehamster
See comments for Helliconia Spring
JDD
JDD marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Lovely Primrose
Lovely Primrose marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
  • Genesis
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • Exodus from the Long Sun
  • A Life for the Stars (Cities in Flight, #2)
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Planet of Adventure (Planet of Adventure, #1-4)
  • On Wings of Song
  • Players Of Null-a
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Bug Jack Barron
  • No Enemy but Time
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
Pseudonyms: Jael Cracken, Peter Pica, John Runciman, C.C. Shackleton, Arch Mendicant, & "Doc" Peristyle.

Brian Wilson Aldiss is one of the most important voices in science fiction writing today. He wrote his first novel while working as a bookseller in Oxford. Shortly afterwards he wrote his first work of science fiction and soon gained international recognition. Adored for his innovative liter...more
More about Brian W. Aldiss...
Non-Stop Helliconia Spring (Helliconia, #1) Hothouse Helliconia Winter (Helliconia, #3) Greybeard