Start by marking “Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)” as Want to Read:
Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)

Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family #5)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Blossom family has an especially eventful weekend during which Junior Blossom loses the school hamster and Pap's dog Mud is put on trial for the hamster's murder!

Published February 1st 1993 by Yearling (first published 1991)

Rose Goodwin
This book is great for middle grade children. It has a lot of twists and turns because the author jumps from one instance to another and then back again. It could be hard for some readers because of this. The reader would need to have a good memory or take notes, if the reader takes a break, because the author jumps around so much. However, if the reader can keep up, this book will be hard to put down. It held my interest the entire time. It does have a few innocent kisses in the story between a ...more
Books Kids Like
The Blossoms have two mysteries to solve. Maggie Blossom and her boyfriend, Ralphie, find Mad Mary's bag by the side of the road. They know something is wrong, because Mary would never leave her collecting bag especially when it contains a dead possum for dinner. When Pap goes to her cave, he finds it empty. Meanwhile, Junior Blossom has received the distinct honor of bringing the classroom hamster home for the weekend. He puts the hamster in a network of tunnels he's dug in the backyard thinkin ...more
Kristen
The fifth book about the Blossom's was a hoot - because we listened to it as a book on tape, and we acually listened to it first. It's fun to hear all the characters come to life. In this book, Vern's friend, Michael, convinces him to trespass in Mad Mary's cave. Mad Mary herself is missing, and the Blossoms are the only ones who seem to notice or care. Junior is angry with Mud, Pap's dog, because he belives that Mud has eaten the school hamster he was caring for. As usual, there's a lot going o ...more
Christy

An ALA Notable Children's Book, A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, Edgar Allan Poe Mystery Writers Award, A Child Study Children's Book Committee: Children's Book of the Year, A Junior Literary Gu...more
Havilah
When we listened to this book in the car, we had no idea that it was #5 in a series of books. We loved every minute of it. We were delighted to find that we had many more adventures to read/listen to about the Blossom family. These books are what we will be listening to this summer. Highly recommended.
Ruth Ann
This is the fifth book in a series about the Blossom Family. This installment focuses on the family dog named Blossom. When Junior brings home the classroom pet for the weekend, the hamster ends up missing. Evidence discovered makes it appear that the dog might have eaten the hamster. The family puts the dog on "trial for murder". There is also a "B" plot involving Mad Mary, an unusual neighbor who is missing.

I found this book humorous, but I thought the plot jumped around and some less experien
Laura Verret
Junior has a surprise. It’s a big surprise. It’s a surprise for everybody – his brother Vern, his sister, Maggie, his mother, Vicki, and his grandfather, Pap Blossom. Nobody gets to know what the surprise is until Friday, because that's when the surprise happens. It’ll be such a surprise!

And a great surprise it is – at least, Junior thinks so. You see, he gets to bring the school hamster, Scooty, home for the weekend. How wonderful! But the grand surprise turns sour when Scooty disappears and Mu
Shelli Gheen
Wanted...Mud Blossom (1991) by Betsy Byars is the story of mystery after mystery at the Blossom house. First, the class hamster, which Junior is taking care of for the weekend, disappears with evidence pointing to the dog, Mud. Then Mad Mary disappears. Finally, there may be a murder about to happen. What a weekend for the Blossoms!

Themes: Mystery; Friendship; Justice

Ways to use this book with children:
*Hold a mock trial to determine Mud's guilt or innocence (before you find out what really happ
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Mud, Pap Blossom's dog is in deep trouble. Scooty, the school hamster Junior brought home for the weekend is missing--and the evidence points right to Mud. Meanwhile, Maggie and Ralphie find Mad Mary's bag and cane by the side of the road--everybody knows she'd never leave them behind voluntarily. With disappearances, kidnapping, and a possible murder, it's anything but dull at the Blossoms' this weekend." (From Amazon)

I loved the Blossom family as they were crazier than my own family. I
Debbie Tanner
I haven't read any of,the other books in this series so I sometimes felt like aim was missing some pieces, but it's a funny story with interesting characters.
Stephanie A.
This is the only Blossom book I've ever read, but what an unforgettable cover. The actual story is not nearly so much about the dog as I remembered, as opposed to the entire family, but one thing that did stand out was the writing style. I kept thinking what a great book it would make for elementary-age kids, both for fun and as a group discussion book, even if it doesn't personally hold the same appeal for me as an adult (which I think truly great children's books do).
Catherine  Mustread
Convinced that Mud is responsible for the disappearance of the school hamster that he was taking care of for the weekend, Junior Blossom is determined that the dog should be tried for his crime.
trina
what chapter books for young readers should be. fun, well-drawn characters and pictures, slightly off-kilter. i read these for pleasure as much as research, though i do wish i'd read them as a kid.
Claire
GRRRRR! I read if for battle of the books, but don't read it if you don't want your eyes burned out of your head! Worst book ever!(After Twilight, of course. That was a train wreck!)
Kristie Stauffer
Not really a favorite. A little too much weirdness going on. I haven't read the other Blossom family books and it took me a while to figure out the family dynamics.
Sara
This was the first chapter book I ever read. I remember LOVING it, but I don't remember the story much at all. Good times in my memory, good times.
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
Can't really remember much about this book other than the fact it was a favorite of mine and we had a golden so I had to have this book.
Jeepster
This was a really cute story to read at bedtime to my daughter. It made me chuckle for than a few times.
Caren
Great book. Fun characters. Need to get kids to read this.
Look for previous books in the series.
Madeline Beck
At the beginning there are too many plots and they don't relate to eachother in the slightest.
Kimberly
Cute story just not as good as some of the other j/ya books I've recently read.
Susan
Listened to this one on CD- cute, but a little too much romance for elementary.
Nia
Jun 12, 2007 Nia added it
Shelves: childhood
Don't be afraid of hermits living in caves by the river.
Boston
I think my favorite character was Junior.
Elizabeth
Weird. But I still enjoyed bits and peices of it.
Dkb02
Very good book!!
Cws
May 14, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR4-Bya
  • Journey to America (Journey to America, #1)
  • Words of Stone
  • It's a Dog's Life (McGrowl #2)
  • Trouper
  • Dragon: Hound of Honor
  • Jennings Goes to School
  • The Fear Place
  • Alone in His Teacher's House
  • Unstoppable Octobia May
  • Cassie Binegar
  • The Night Journey
  • Clementine and the Family Meeting (Clementine, #5)
  • Harlem Summer
  • How to Hide a Lion
  • The Flying Flea, Callie and Me
  • Bugs in My Hair!
  • See You Later, Gladiator
  • Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...

Blossom Family (5 books)
  • The Not-Just-Anybody Family (Blossom Family, #1)
  • The Blossoms Meet the Vulture Lady (Blossom Family, #2)
  • The Blossoms and the Green Phantom (Blossom Family, #3)
  • A Blossom Promise (Blossom Family, #4)
The Summer of the Swans The Pinballs Tornado The Midnight Fox The SOS File