The Best Mouse Cookie

The Best Mouse Cookie

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,305 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Join the mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie as he bakes his own cookies in his little mouse house.
Board book, 24 pages
Published April 30th 1999 by HarperFestival

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneDear Zoo by Rod CampbellWe're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen
Best Toddler Books
149th out of 235 books — 165 voters
Neil Flambe and the Marco Polo Murders by Kevin SylvesterNaples! by Giada De LaurentiisKatie and the Cupcake Cure by Coco SimonBunny Cakes by Rosemary WellsPancakes, Pancakes! by Eric Carle
Children's - Cooking but not cookbooks
20th out of 25 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Chanelle
The Best Mouse Cookie is a really cute story for developing readers. He makes cookies, rocks out while doing it, and even burns them when he wants to take a nap. I like how it ends by saying that there is nothing wrong with sharing with a friend. You can definitely use this story to teach preschoolers about sharing and being independent. You could tie this book with an activity about sharing.
Becky
I'm hoping this will relieve those storytime attendees who have "If you give a mouse a cookie" already memorized. It's got some details that I love: 1) Mouse knows that music is an essential ingredient when baking, 2) his oven mitts go up to his armpits, and 3) he knows that it's OK to burn the cookies.
Heidi
I think my favorite of these books would be the illustrations. Adorable. Simple text well illustrated. And it's nice to know that mouse does some work instead of being given everything. :-)
Greg Majewski
The title page shows Mouse walking home with a sack of groceries. Where is the mouse grocery store located? Is it in a tree, like Mouse's house, or is it a tiny version of a strip-mall supermarket? Is it staffed by mice or other forest creatures? If the former, are other forest creatures welcome to patronize it, or just mice? If it is within walking distance to Mouse's house, then surely other institutions are as well? What about the mouse library, the mouse barber, or the mouse post office? The...more
Heather
I think I've read this one a couple hundred times at least. It's a cute and simple story. We used it to sign a lot of cooking signs with this one.
Tiffany
Genre: PB3

Most people have read If you give a mouse a cookie, but I had not seen this follow up to that book. It was a very short story with few words per page that I feel would be good for pre-school children and beginning kindergarten. It was a little less entertaining than teh real mouse and cookie story, but still a book that would be good to read. It was a story on friendship that is sweet to read and of course discussed cookies. The drawings were the best part of the story and really helpe...more
Gina Diloreto
Numeroff, Laura Joffe and Bond, F. (1999). The best mouse cookie. New York: HarperCollins.

This is a cute, somewhat predictable, book from the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" series, by Laura Numeroff. In this book, Mouse has everything he needs to make cookies. He starts baking, ends up getting distracted, falls asleep, and burns the cookies. But, no worries for Mouse. He starts over, bakes many cookies, and ends up sharing with his friend (and unnamed boy who appears in all the books with Mouse)...more
Adrienne
I love the little mouse; he's so cute. And the book makes me want cookies--which isn't so good for me but I'm sure my kids will appreciate!
Nicole
This is another of the famous Laura Numeroff book. When ordering this book I was unaware that it was such a small book. I would not recommend this book for elementary school teachers, but it would be a great one for toddlers. It has a short book with only a few words on each page and it goes through the steps of baking cookies. In the book, mouse even takes a nap and his cookies burn so he has to start over. The book ends with mouse in a huge pile of cookies so he decides to share them with a fr...more
Tam
Heather
A readable kids book. Cute pictures as always by this author. I'd read it again, but it wasn't a favorite.
Kymberly
Such a cute one! Defiantly one for the library!! I love Laura Joffe Numeroff!
Maxwell
Jubilant artwork. Out of the stack of books to read from the library, Laura Numeroff always wins a YES and a reread.
Kendra
My toddler's favorite book right now. He adores it. It is a little simple and boring to me (and to my older kids - preschool/kindergarten age)... but apparently my almost 2 year old can really relate to it. It is the perfect length to read to him so we do it over and over and over again. :) Can't go to bed without reading the "cookie" book. Definitely need the board book edition to hold up to the love this book gets.
Mariamawit Habtamu
Toddlers and preschool
I like this book. It is a short and sweet with fun pictures that explain the story. This book can easily be used to teach children to share with a friend.

Learning Experience
After reading this book each child will get a chocolate cookie to try, children will count the chocolate chips on the cookies as well as discuss the benefit of sharing and converse about why they like sharing with their friends.
Nikki
Singing while baking and smoke from the burning cookies makes this a hit with my son. Now he is hooked on Mouse.
Rebekah Jones
The book is about sharing. The mouse has fun making the cookies but shares them in the end. I think it also teaches a lesson on no getting frustrated and giving up. The mouse burnt the cookies and did not get mad and quit but made some more. The only part about the book that I did not like was the lack of fluency in the text. I seemed as if a page was missing because of the lack of information.
Emerson
It's a somewhat weak follow up to the "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" book. Well, you can't blame a children's author for trying to milk their success.
Another vacation read from the Max collection. In this sequel, the little mouse bakes cookies, falls asleep, burns his cookies, well, you get the idea. A bit of mischief ensues. I think Daddy, Mommy and Mao all read this one to him.
Lindsey
A cute board book of the mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Older toddlers would probably find this funnier than the intended baby audience because Mouse makes some great messes. There's not a firm story here, just a fun sequence of mouse making cookies and sharing them with a friend. Colorful pictures are eye-catching for the youngest "readers".
Rebecca Snodgrass
Thoughtful book for primary kids to read. It teaches a great lesson about sharing in the last couple of pages and it has plenty of opportunities to ask your kiddos questions during circle time or during a small break. I wonder if they make a big book like this in a store? I would really like one.
Levi
Dec 12, 2012 Levi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Levi by: Wanda Christmas
Shelves: toddler-books
I got this book from my teacher and I made Mommy read it lots. Mommy was worried the book didn't teach about kitchen safety as mouse burns the cookies and throws cookies outside. But I like that mouse has so much fun making cookies. And I love cookies. So I ask to read it a lot.
Renee Weed
My one year old LOVES this book. I couldn't tell you exactly why. Much of the story is told through the cute illustrations that he is too young to understand. Hopefully he'll continue to enjoy it as he gains understanding. Good to have another story about mouse!
Anna
Not even close to the level of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, but a cute, short, simple story if you'd like to have the collection.
Jen
My kids memorized this book before they were too little to read. It warmed my heart every single time we read it together, because they'd always giggle at certain parts and make comments. We've spent a lot of family time with this little gem!
Rachel
A cute little book, perfect for our family since we love to bake and have had quite a few oopsies in the kitchen as well. My son thought this book was hilarious. Warning, the kids might want to whip up a batch of cookies after they read it.
Janet
Checked this out of the library and read it. Not as cute as If you Give a Mouse a cookie but cute and reminded me of my childhood.

I love that my children 25 and 20 still will read these too - and no they don't have children yet.
Christine Turner
Mouse bakes his own cookies in his little mouse house. www.hcpl.net

The mouse burns one of the batches of cookies and has to make more. This book focus is on sharing with friends.

It is available in a picture book format.
Joanne
Love, love this series of 'Mouse Cookie' books by Numeroff. I didn't know they made a baby board book. It was just as great as the original. We hope to add some Numeroff titles to our own personal library soon.
Tara
I enjoy seeing this beloved character in all his adventures! Mouse decides to make his own cookies but runs into a little snag. With hilarious illustrations, this book pulls out a wonderfully happy ending!
Elizabeth Schrank
I really enjoyed this book. I think it would be best for kindergartners because it is a very simple book with few words.It can teach children about sharing and I think they would find it humorous.
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Curious George Makes Pancakes
  • Happy Hippo, Angry Duck
  • Chicka Chicka ABC
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Clifford's Christmas
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Be Nice to Spiders
  • Corduroy Lost and Found
  • Five Little Monkeys Bake a Birthday Cake
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • Biscuit Goes to School
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
Laura Joffe Numeroff is an American author of children's books. Numeroff originally wanted to be a writer, but decided to follow her older sister's footsteps and become a fashion designer instead. Laura attended Pratt Institute of Design but then decided to become a writer again and wrote her first book with only 4 rejections. - Wikipedia.
More about Laura Joffe Numeroff...
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie If You Give a Moose a Muffin If You Give a Pig a Pancake If You Take a Mouse to School If You Take a Mouse to the Movies