Start by marking “The Best Mouse Cookie” as Want to Read:
The Best Mouse Cookie

The Best Mouse Cookie

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,982 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Join the mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie as he bakes his own cookies in his little mouse house.
Board book, 24 pages
Published April 30th 1999 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about The Best Mouse Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Mouse Cookie

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.An Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsDear Zoo by Rod Campbell
Best Toddler Books
220th out of 359 books — 329 voters
Neil Flambé and the Marco Polo Murders by Kevin SylvesterNaples! by Giada De LaurentiisKatie and the Cupcake Cure by Coco SimonBunny Cakes by Rosemary WellsPancakes, Pancakes! by Eric Carle
Children's - Cooking but not cookbooks
20th out of 26 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Rossy
Cute short story. The illustrations are beautiful, and his "I'm the boss" apron is gorgeous! Besides, one can never have too many cookies, right? It's nice baking for yourself, but sharing something you made and enjoying it with friends, is the best!
Chanelle
The Best Mouse Cookie is a really cute story for developing readers. He makes cookies, rocks out while doing it, and even burns them when he wants to take a nap. I like how it ends by saying that there is nothing wrong with sharing with a friend. You can definitely use this story to teach preschoolers about sharing and being independent. You could tie this book with an activity about sharing.
Michelle McBeth
"There's no such thing as too many cookies..."

As a lover of the, If You Give A.... book series, I wanted to see what this book was all about. If it were a movie, I would call it a movie short.

Mouse likes to bake cookies. He gets his music on while he bakes. Baking wears him out. He takes a nap. Oops, burned cookies. He starts over and makes a pile of cookies which he shares.

This book was adorable and the illustrations cute. I loved the mouse's "I'm the Boss" apron. But the story was much too sh
Rebecca
I'm hoping this will relieve those storytime attendees who have "If you give a mouse a cookie" already memorized. It's got some details that I love: 1) Mouse knows that music is an essential ingredient when baking, 2) his oven mitts go up to his armpits, and 3) he knows that it's OK to burn the cookies.
Madeline Huhta
A.This story is about a mouse and him making cookies. There comes across a problem when he gets a little too comfortable. He enjoys making cookies inside of his home, and in the end you discover in the end the best kind of cookie.

B.I have read some similar books where the story is about friendship. Along the lines where there becomes a problem and they work it out together, or remain friends after. The problem, no matter how big, is brushed off easily and always fixed without a sweat.

C.I really
Heidi
I think my favorite of these books would be the illustrations. Adorable. Simple text well illustrated. And it's nice to know that mouse does some work instead of being given everything. :-)
Greg Majewski
The title page shows Mouse walking home with a sack of groceries. Where is the mouse grocery store located? Is it in a tree, like Mouse's house, or is it a tiny version of a strip-mall supermarket? Is it staffed by mice or other forest creatures? If the former, are other forest creatures welcome to patronize it, or just mice? If it is within walking distance to Mouse's house, then surely other institutions are as well? What about the mouse library, the mouse barber, or the mouse post office? The ...more
Heather
I think I've read this one a couple hundred times at least. It's a cute and simple story. We used it to sign a lot of cooking signs with this one.
Tiffany
Genre: PB3

Most people have read If you give a mouse a cookie, but I had not seen this follow up to that book. It was a very short story with few words per page that I feel would be good for pre-school children and beginning kindergarten. It was a little less entertaining than teh real mouse and cookie story, but still a book that would be good to read. It was a story on friendship that is sweet to read and of course discussed cookies. The drawings were the best part of the story and really helpe
Gina Diloreto
Numeroff, Laura Joffe and Bond, F. (1999). The best mouse cookie. New York: HarperCollins.

This is a cute, somewhat predictable, book from the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" series, by Laura Numeroff. In this book, Mouse has everything he needs to make cookies. He starts baking, ends up getting distracted, falls asleep, and burns the cookies. But, no worries for Mouse. He starts over, bakes many cookies, and ends up sharing with his friend (and unnamed boy who appears in all the books with Mouse)
Shacoria
This book kind of sucks. It is nothing like the other books that she has written. There is really no humor in it. It is way too short also. The only good thing about the book is the illustrations.
Bethany Emmons
This was a cute short book about a mouse making cookies in his own home and facing a few struggles. This book was fun to read and would be fun for an early reader or even struggling reader to read.
Jill
Carter Harrison
We loved it! It was fun to try and guess what was going to happen next, and talk about what he should do differently next time.
Nicole
This is another of the famous Laura Numeroff book. When ordering this book I was unaware that it was such a small book. I would not recommend this book for elementary school teachers, but it would be a great one for toddlers. It has a short book with only a few words on each page and it goes through the steps of baking cookies. In the book, mouse even takes a nap and his cookies burn so he has to start over. The book ends with mouse in a huge pile of cookies so he decides to share them with a fr ...more
Kennedee
if you give him a muffen he will ask to bake many more and more
Angela
Cute! Students love it!
Heather
A readable kids book. Cute pictures as always by this author. I'd read it again, but it wasn't a favorite.
Kymberly
Such a cute one! Defiantly one for the library!! I love Laura Joffe Numeroff!
Maxwell
Jubilant artwork. Out of the stack of books to read from the library, Laura Numeroff always wins a YES and a reread.
Kendra
My toddler's favorite book right now. He adores it. It is a little simple and boring to me (and to my older kids - preschool/kindergarten age)... but apparently my almost 2 year old can really relate to it. It is the perfect length to read to him so we do it over and over and over again. :) Can't go to bed without reading the "cookie" book. Definitely need the board book edition to hold up to the love this book gets.
Mariamawit Habtamu
Toddlers and preschool
I like this book. It is a short and sweet with fun pictures that explain the story. This book can easily be used to teach children to share with a friend.

Learning Experience
After reading this book each child will get a chocolate cookie to try, children will count the chocolate chips on the cookies as well as discuss the benefit of sharing and converse about why they like sharing with their friends.
Nikki
Singing while baking and smoke from the burning cookies makes this a hit with my son. Now he is hooked on Mouse.
Rebekah Jones
The book is about sharing. The mouse has fun making the cookies but shares them in the end. I think it also teaches a lesson on no getting frustrated and giving up. The mouse burnt the cookies and did not get mad and quit but made some more. The only part about the book that I did not like was the lack of fluency in the text. I seemed as if a page was missing because of the lack of information.
Cheyenne
Cute book about the mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Now I need cookies!
Emerson
It's a somewhat weak follow up to the "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" book. Well, you can't blame a children's author for trying to milk their success.
Another vacation read from the Max collection. In this sequel, the little mouse bakes cookies, falls asleep, burns his cookies, well, you get the idea. A bit of mischief ensues. I think Daddy, Mommy and Mao all read this one to him.
Lindsey
A cute board book of the mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Older toddlers would probably find this funnier than the intended baby audience because Mouse makes some great messes. There's not a firm story here, just a fun sequence of mouse making cookies and sharing them with a friend. Colorful pictures are eye-catching for the youngest "readers".
Rebecca Snodgrass
Thoughtful book for primary kids to read. It teaches a great lesson about sharing in the last couple of pages and it has plenty of opportunities to ask your kiddos questions during circle time or during a small break. I wonder if they make a big book like this in a store? I would really like one.
Levi
Dec 12, 2012 Levi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Levi by: Wanda Christmas
Shelves: toddler-books
I got this book from my teacher and I made Mommy read it lots. Mommy was worried the book didn't teach about kitchen safety as mouse burns the cookies and throws cookies outside. But I like that mouse has so much fun making cookies. And I love cookies. So I ask to read it a lot.
Tam
The edition I read was not a board book so I don't know if there's an even more condensed version but my 4-year-old loved this book (he also likes the "If you give a . . . . a . . . ." series). It is a very simple book. Not many words. Fairly easy for my child to read.
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Bats at the Beach
  • BooBoo
  • Be Nice to Spiders
  • Skippyjon Jones: Up and Down
  • Have You Seen My Duckling?
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
  • I Love My New Toy!
  • Eight Silly Monkeys
  • Chester's Way
Laura Joffe Numeroff is an American author of children's books. Numeroff originally wanted to be a writer, but decided to follow her older sister's footsteps and become a fashion designer instead. Laura attended Pratt Institute of Design but then decided to become a writer again and wrote her first book with only 4 rejections. - Wikipedia.
More about Laura Joffe Numeroff...
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie If You Give a Moose a Muffin If You Give a Pig a Pancake If You Take a Mouse to School If You Take a Mouse to the Movies