Start by marking “Chewing the Cud: An Extraordinary Life Remembered by the Author of Babe: The Gallant Pig” as Want to Read:

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A candid and very funny memoir from beloved children’s book author Dick King-Smith.
Before he was a children’s book author, Dick King-Smith was a soldier, a farmer, a salesman, a factory worker, and a teacher. But he was always a devoted family man who loved the countryside he lived in and the animals he kept. In this insightful memoir, Dick King-Smith recounts the joys and
Published February 19th 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published September 6th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Chewing the Cud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chewing the Cud

Ruth
I randomly found this book when I was hurriedly looking for a quick, fiction read at the library before a car trip. Well, this isn't fiction but it was a quick read.:-) It's the autobiography of Dick King-Smith who wrote the book that became the movie Babe, as well as many other children's books featuring animals. I kind of feel like I "knew" him before he was famous simply because The Sheep Pig was one of the last books I read by him as a kid...prior to that, however, I read every book by him t ...more
Wonderful book that paints a picture of rural England by one of my favorite authors. His stories about living on a farm as a "not so profitable" farmer are refreshing and show a reverence to those who can make a living in agriculture. It's a nice step away from some more recent accounts of farm life by people determined to have their Starbucks while driving a John Deere.
Holly
A fun autobiography. I enjoy getting glimpses of other peoples lives. It was brief and focused on his life on the farm with the animals and how he became a successful writer. I enjoyed his sense of humor and his honesty with his failings and how eventually it all worked out for him. I want to read some of his books to the kids.
Lizzy
I wanted to like this book more than I did, but it was strangely dull and many of the stories King-Smith recounted weren't particularly interesting. From bits and pieces, he sounds like he had an interesting life, but these stories poorly represent it.
Emily
Very fun for animal-lovers, readers, writers, and fans of the classic book/movie, Babe. The stories Dick King-Smith shares were reminiscent to me of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small books--truly enjoyable.
Jean
Autobiography of Dick King-Smith. Bit depressing.
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Judy Brown
Judy Brown marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Chantel Donnan
Chantel Donnan marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Winkle
Winkle marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Chris Ogden
Chris Ogden marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Austin Wilkes
Austin Wilkes marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Caitlín
Caitlín marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Giovany Acuña
Giovany Acuña marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Corinne Gurr
Corinne Gurr marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Callie Moon
Callie Moon marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Leonor Espinosa
Leonor Espinosa marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...
Babe: The Gallant Pig The Water Horse A Mouse Called Wolf Martin's Mice The Hodgeheg