Start by marking “Astronomy For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Astronomy For Dummies

Astronomy For Dummies

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  20 reviews
An accessible guide to the wonders of the night sky, now updated
From asteroids to black holes, from quasars to white dwarfs, this new edition of Astronomy For Dummies takes backyard stargazers on a grand tour of the universe. Featuring star maps, charts, gorgeous full-color photographs, and easy-to-follow explanations, this fact-filled guide gives readers a leg up on the b
Published May 6th 2005 by For Dummies (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Astronomy For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astronomy For Dummies

Ginny Messina
I’m not a big fan of the Dummies books. Don’t really like the humor which always seems—well, sort of dumb. But, I had picked this up at a yard sale some years ago and found it when I decided I wanted to read a little bit about astronomy. It answered lots of questions and was a good start to learning about this subject.
Jaylia3
Informative, detailed, accessible

Everything you wanted to know about the objects in the night sky is explained with down to Earth simplicity in Astronomy for Dummies. Our moon, the planets and their moons, stars, galaxies, black matter, black holes, and big bangs are all covered. It’s a cornucopia for the curious and it’s not necessary to read the book straight through; you can peruse chapters as they interest you. The book will be especially useful for those who are or want to be amateur astro
Anne-Marie G
Fun read, I learned a lot!
James Smith
Lots of useful information but very colloquial language and the author tries to make too many silly jokes which annoyed me. The edition that I read was published in 2000, and hasn't dated well in terms of a lot of the science. There may be a newer edition, I don't know.
Emma
May 18, 2014 Emma is currently reading it
Gonna be stuck on this page for a long time. I lost the book. It's been lost ever since I went to New York a few years ago, which doesn't bode well. I think I'll have to just buy it again if I ever want to move on, and I do want to move on. I was really enjoying it.
Michael
This is a great book! Everything you need to know in detail, but not too much detail. The moon, planets, solar system, stars, galaxies, dark matter, the Universe, and everything in between is in here. Links to websites, groups, charts, telescopes et al. Start here.
Jenny
Outer space makes me very uncomfortable. Trying to get over that! Also, my friend celebrates all the phases of the moon with her family, and blogs about it at "mother wheel." And I've always loved moon-gazing. Hoping to learn more about how it all works together.
Haley
I am a total astronomy nerd, and this is the book that got me started. One day I was just wondering about how the universe works so I got this book on a whim and now I'm hooked.
Joshua
I didn't find anything shocking, although it was a lot more detailed than I expected. The author skips around various topics covering the meat and potatoes of astronomy.
Kayla Kremke
Actually read it cover to cover...great resource for amateurs and professionals alike.
Dave
I thought it was a pretty good book abouty the solar system
Kaitlyn
Very informative, learned without even realizing!!!
Chris S
My first and last '...for dummies' book.
Linda
Poorly organized. Read Raymo instead.
Robert Kaufman
Good basic info. Not for a deep study.
Joe
Didn't get much out of this.
Arthur
Informative.
PWRL
Apr 13, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Suzy Platt
Suzy Platt marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Ali Haddad
Ali Haddad marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Paola Hernández
Paola Hernández is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Hala A. Abbas
Hala A. Abbas marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe
  • Piano for Dummies [With Play-Along]
  • Genetics For Dummies
Galileo's New Universe: The Revolution in Our Understanding of the Cosmos The Astronomy and Astrophysics Encyclopedia Pluto Confidential: An Insider Account of the Ongoing Battles over the Status of Pluto Astronomía para Dummies Astronomia For Dummies (Italian Edition)