Start by marking “The School Story” as Want to Read:
The School Story

The School Story

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  6,594 ratings  ·  453 reviews
Natalie's best friend, Zoe, is sure that the novel Natalie's written is good enough to be published. But how can a twelve-year-old girl publish a book? Natalie's mother is an editor for a big children's publisher, but Natalie doesn't want to ask for any favors.
Then Zoe has a brilliant idea: Natalie can submit her manuscript under a pen name, with Zoe acting as her litera...more
Published August 1st 2002 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The School Story, please sign up.

Olivia I don't know I was wondering that to
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best books of our lifetime
80th out of 395 books — 594 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras TozThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettCulloo by Murielle Cyr
Books for nine-year-olds
13th out of 369 books — 234 voters

More lists with this book...

Andree
Okay, because this book is out of the battle. I'm going to post my review.

3.5 stars really. Because this book has moments of being perfect and moments that just don’t work for me. (Note, this review devolves into a more general discussion of my thoughts on MG fiction pretty fast.)

Not just because I'm almost 30 an it's middle grade fiction (which I think I might have some issues with in general).

This is objectively a charming story about a young girl who ends up getting a book published with the...more
My daughter, Anne, told me that I had to read this book because it is the "best book ever written!" For a third grader, she loved how someone not much older than she was able to have her own office and succeed in the adult world. It is an entertaining book, well written, and empowering for children. A great read aloud!
Bev
It's no wonder that Andrew Clements books are popular with my students. He assumes that his reading audience is intelligent; he never writes down to kids. The main characters in this story are bright, witty and clever. Terrific book!
Luke
This is definitely one of my all time favorite books! I can really relate to this book because I like to write and the whole plot revovles around Natalie and her friend Zoe who try to publish Natalie's novel (with her mom as the editor) without their plan getting unmasked. It is an amazing read and your life is not complete until you read this book!
Mireille
Even though I almost never read stories aimed at children, I found The School Story delightful. The description of the main character and how she learned to read was relatable to the extreme – I could just imagine reading this at that age and saying yes, that! that's it! The caper movie adventures sprinkled throughout the story make the book a page-turner.

The School Story also has lovely family relationships – and a missing father that made me cry, an awesome teacher who’s a very positive influe...more
Ally
Jan 27, 2011 Ally rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ally by: 4th grade teacher
This book is what inspired me to write myself!
Kasey
Mar 28, 2009 Kasey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Andrew Clement fans
Recommended to Kasey by: My librarian
Panda Incognito
I really wanted to love this book, but the premise of a twelve-year-old successfully publishing a best-selling book was simply too preposterous for me to suspend my disbelief. I enjoyed the book a great deal, but even though it is a sweet story and teaches kids about the publishing process, I can't take it seriously. I would like to give it four stars, but the suspension of disbelief problems pushes it down to three.

I've been a twelve-year-old writer, and I know how the creative process works,...more
Erica
Jan 25, 2008 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Erica by: me
This book is really good! It is about a girl how writes a book called a school story. Well her best friend thinks it should be published and they do all these things to try to get it publish. Heres the chach, here mom works at the publishing compony so they need to do it with out her moms finding out!
tori flores
The School Story is pretty good. It is about a girl who loves writing storys. But she writes a really good one called "The Cheater." Her mom is the editor so she changes her name to Casandra Day. Plus her agent is her best friend Zoe. They are in sixth grade.
Tim
When I told my daughter this morning that I had finished The Report Card she handed me The School Story (actually she handed me three more Clement books, I took this one). Clement's stories, which are mostly school stories themselves, all showcase bright kids, who go against the system, thinking their own thoughts and using their own initiative. I appreciate that these kids normally get adults on their side, whether teachers or parents, and so they are not stories of loner kids without family s...more
Patrick
The school story took me back to fifth grade and made me remember the way my elementary school was. The school story was about two friends that plot out in an adventure to get one of their books published by there mother behind all adults backs. In the end it pays off and she succeeds in her quest. I would reccomend this book to any school student. Mostly because of the desire that this little girl had to accomplish a dream that took lots of work and dedication to make it happen. I would say the...more
Sofia A.

1-10-13

This book is about a girl named Natalie who loveds to write. I love to write once I wrote a 7 page story. This book is a great book I have really enjoyed it so far. In the story Natalie's best friend named Zoe wants to help publish one of her books. I think that is a having a best friend also be a main character is really cool because I have never read a book like that. One thing I really like about this book is there is not much going on and it has very good detail and goes into depth ab...more
Amanda
I first read this book in fifth grade, I think. And I still love it to this day. The book is about a girl named Natalie who writes a story--a "school story," in other words a story about normal kids--and her journey to get it published. Her mom is an editor but doesn't know she likes to write. Through lots of laughter-inducing and tough spots, Natalie, her friend Zoe, and her teacher Ms. Clayton work together to publish the book at Natalie's mom's publishing house without her knowing. At the end...more
Elizabeth L.
I recently finished the book The School Story By: Andew Clements. This book is about a girl named Natilie who loves to write books so she dicided to write one of her own. Her freind named Zoe thinks that the book she wrote was good enough to be published. Natilie is trying to figure out how she can get her book published. If you whant know, you will just have to read the book. This book relates to me because just like Natiliy I love to write storys. I really like this book because it showes what...more
Kathryn
Normally I love Andrew Clements books because there's a strong social justice message and the young protagonists risk a lot to stand up for what they think is right. For this book, I couldn't get that excited about a privileged 12-year trying to get her first novel published by questionable means. Plus, even though Clements seemed to want to write a book about interesting women and girls, the only characters with any power in the book are men (except for the villain, who seems to be a villain be...more
Rebecca
when I first read this book in 3rd or 4th grade, it really inspired me. Of course the plot of a middle school girl getting a book published with an agent who was her best friend, also in middle school, without letting this girl's mom know until the mom (who worked at a children's publishing field) published it without knowing the author's identity, is highly unlikely, but I still really enjoyed it! i think to some extent this is every young writer's dream: to write a book good enough to be publi...more
Dorottya Bacsi
I liked this book. It was really sweet, and I really liked the morals, the humour and how it gives a more or less accurate account on the publishing industry at a child's level.

I have minor complaints about the book. Even for a teen/pre-teen book, I found this too simple and predictable. The writing style was sometimes poor. I'm not going to call this out on its unrealisticness, as pre-teens actually need this kind of daydreaming... but there have been some scenes and tidbits that were borderlin...more
Alvin
the girl in the story writes what is happening in school. She is daring to posts it in 1 of his teachers room. The teacher has alot of mysterys behind him.

Like he was the best teach for a year, how did he get it? When all he does it sit and doesn't teach. He just drinks coffee and read his newspaper.

Like another of Andrew Clements book. A student does something and someone gets mad. They argue and a happy ending you can say. Its still fun to read
Nicole Javvaji
Nov 30, 2008 Nicole Javvaji rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adults interested in writing a book or learn more about how books are made
Loved this book! Could not put it down. The main character is an aspiring writer who's mother happens to work for a publishing company. The girl and her friend hatch a scheme to get a novel published under a pen name. I felt like I was the process of publishing a children's book was portrayed pretty realistically, and I would love to use this book in the classroom to explore the writing process, writing as a profession, and the publishing industry.
KatieLynn
Feb 03, 2009 KatieLynn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone Out There! Read This Book
This was one of Andrew Clements better works. I enjoyed the story from page one, until the very last page.

This book is about a girl named Natalie Nelson who oneday wrote a little piece of a school story book. Her mother, Hannah Nelson, and editor for books, had been extremely busy lately. With the help of Natalie's friend Zoe, they are determine to confuse Hannah, and convince her to publish Natalie's book!
Lily
This was one of my all time favorite books! It is about a young girl who wishes to publish a book she has written, but she changes her name in order for no one to treat her like a child, especially her mother who just happened to be the one reading her story at the publishing company! Will anyone find out about her little white lie? Read this book!
Eynique Waterman
This book is very interesting. This book is about a girl named Natalie who wrote a book. She is in the sixth grade. She loves writing and her teacher, best friend Zoey, mother and other people surely know it. She finishes writing this book and looks for an editor. She learns all the struggles for writing a book. She gets help from many people and figures out how to go about doing this. Her own mother is an editor.
Natalie and Zoey look for an editor. Soon enough they decide to call Natalie 's...more
Rachel Harris
This book was the perfect thing for me to read with my girls in our homeschool while my own debut book is being released. They got to learn in a fun, age-appropriate way all about the publishing industry and the many, many, MANY steps it takes to get a book from draft to publication. Definitely a favorite for all of us =D
Katie
Another battle book.

This was SO GREAT. I wasn't sure if I'd like it. The premise seemed like it could be eye-rolling, but they way it played out was REALLY GREAT and felt like something that could happen.

And the last lines made me tear up a little.
Liz
I read this in third or fourth grade so Im having a hard time remembering it. I seem to recall it was a good story and a super easy read. I liked the fact that she was publishing her book anonymously and her mother ended up being her editor(talk about situational irony).
Kate
This book is about a girl who's mom is and editor and she is an AMAZING author. So her and her friend try to find a way to get her book edited by her mom and then published! Iv'e always wanted to be and author and this book lets you know that some jobs are really hard to get!
Martha
Natalie is a really good writer and she wrote a really good book. She wants to get it published, but she's only 12 years old. But then her friend says that she should send it into the publishing company her mom works for with a pseudonym. Can she get it published?
Travis
this is about a girl who writes a book about her life and she creates the books and one day she wanted a teachers opinion and leaves it at one of there rooms. the teacher thens see the book and is surprised that it was there. soon lots of many things happen.
Uppie
ANOTHER EXELLENT BOOK BY ANDREW CLEMETS I READ THIS BOOK AFTER FRINCLE AND EVERY ONE SAYS THE LOVE ALL OF HIS BOOKS I ALSO READ ROOM ONE IT WAS AWSOME AND I REALLOY LIKE ALL HIS BOOKS
  • The Little Riders
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • The Apprentice
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
  • The Usborne Book of World History (Picture history)
  • Skinnybones
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
  • White Stallion of Lipizza
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • The Titanic: Lost and Found
  • Kildee House
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
  • Greek Myths for Young Children
  • Child's History of the World
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an...more
More about Andrew Clements...
Frindle Things Not Seen (Things, #1) No Talking The Report Card Extra Credit