Start by marking “Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution” as Want to Read:
Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution

Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution

Recreating the complete story of the punk phenomenon — including where it came from and what it turned into — Punk is a massive and visually stunning record of five years that changed the world: from 1975 to 1979. Collecting the testimony of more than 260 artists, record producers, designers, and journalists — including John Cale, Debbie Harry, Joe Strummer, Maureen Tucker ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Punk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punk

Kim Annabella
Oct 18, 2007 Kim Annabella rated it did not like it
shit, a shitty badly written.... well honestly a hardly written at all book. Somehow believes punk to have originated with warhol and studio 54, hello pop art and disco there was nothing much punk about that; what about dadaism and nihilism??

Also, it is messy, spends whole sections on Malcolm mclaren and viv Westwood, only to repeat the same later on, repeatedly dredges up Siouxie Sioux only to tell some shock story, nothing much about the bands aside from sex pistols who basically it is about a
Jerry
Dec 06, 2010 Jerry marked it as to-read
heavy
Sarah Hansen
Dec 14, 2016 Sarah Hansen rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this more stars. AMAZING.
Dr. Detroit
Oct 09, 2009 Dr. Detroit rated it it was amazing
Most of us whose salvation and saving grace in the late 1970's came in the form of punk rock never thought it would come to this: a coffee table-style book on the genre so large it almost requires a truss to pick up and read. Exploding with stark black-and-white photos, the authors rightfully trace punk's origins back to the Stooges/MC5/Velvet Underground unholy triumvirate and primarily use quotes from musicians, hangers-on, and the fans to tell the story of the music so many thought would chan ...more
Tristan Goding
Nov 24, 2015 Tristan Goding rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Junk. The info provided here adds up to surprisingly little. The little that is presented is scattered all over the place without any particular rhyme or reason. Everything else is scattered about. If it resembled a scrapbook, I'd appreciate it more as it would add to the punk aesthetic, if such a thing exists. Instead, it comes across very wrong-headed in its spontaneousness. Overall, a waste of paper..
Ed Wagemann
Apr 03, 2012 Ed Wagemann added it
Shelves: rock
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Steve
Sep 06, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A monolith that's tough to house (depending on your bookshelf), this is my pick for the must-own book on its subject that has pictures. (The superb England's Dreaming is heavy on text but sparse on photos, if it even has any at all; I read it years ago, so forgive me if my memory is hazy.) What we have here is an exhaustive travelogue through one of music's most divisive forms, and every page of it is crammed with fascinating and compelling details. I cannot recommend it enough.
Tom Hitchner
May 09, 2008 Tom Hitchner rated it it was ok
Often interesting, but hampered by the authors' prejudices. Bands they don't care for get one page each, and the authors have the annoying habit of putting their own opinions in the book as objective-sounding quotes, then finding a bunch of other quotes that say the same thing, creating the illusion of consensus.
Dx-xb
Oct 26, 2010 Dx-xb rated it really liked it
A collection of stories centralized about the music genre known as punk rock. I found it very interesting and humorous. I appreciated the diversity of the people and bands covered in this book. One infamous incident (I won't give anything away) involving Wayne County was the highlight of the book for me.
Holly
Aug 15, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
I love punk, so I am biased, but I loved the book. I loved the stories, the pictures, and the memories it brought back. There is nothing better to make a middle aged chick feel 17 again.

Afroditi
Feb 10, 2008 Afroditi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every page is a history chapter!

My only personal objection is that i totally disagree with the writer. The bands he hates are my favorite. But then again i never got to live the punk '77 so...
Spencer Hughes
Apr 15, 2014 Spencer Hughes rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A wonderful look into the life, times, and characters involved with a movement that is inspirational and, in many ways, vastly important to the world of today.
Anne /Aunt Franne
Anne /Aunt Franne rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Candice
Candice rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Kay
Kay rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2008
Christine
Jul 04, 2007 Christine rated it really liked it
Oi
Morgan
Morgan rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2008
Maura
Maura rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Bev Allen
Bev Allen rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Jon Bounds
Jon Bounds rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2010
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
James Haine
James Haine rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Lauren Blair
Lauren Blair rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2012
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2010
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Jessie
Jessie rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2013
Sean Xavier
Sean Xavier rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Pat Rouleau
Pat Rouleau rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016