Start by marking “Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution” as Want to Read:
Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution

Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Recreating the complete story of the punk phenomenon — including where it came from and what it turned into — Punk is a massive and visually stunning record of five years that changed the world: from 1975 to 1979. Collecting the testimony of more than 260 artists, record producers, designers, and journalists — including John Cale, Debbie Harry, Joe Strummer, Maureen Tucker ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Punk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punk

Kim Annabella
shit, a shitty badly written.... well honestly a hardly written at all book. Somehow believes punk to have originated with warhol and studio 54, hello pop art and disco there was nothing much punk about that; what about dadaism and nihilism??

Also, it is messy, spends whole sections on Malcolm mclaren and viv Westwood, only to repeat the same later on, repeatedly dredges up Siouxie Sioux only to tell some shock story, nothing much about the bands aside from sex pistols who basically it is about a
Dr. Detroit
Most of us whose salvation and saving grace in the late 1970's came in the form of punk rock never thought it would come to this: a coffee table-style book on the genre so large it almost requires a truss to pick up and read. Exploding with stark black-and-white photos, the authors rightfully trace punk's origins back to the Stooges/MC5/Velvet Underground unholy triumvirate and primarily use quotes from musicians, hangers-on, and the fans to tell the story of the music so many thought would chan ...more
Jerry
Dec 06, 2010 Jerry marked it as to-read
heavy
J
I am trying to give this a fair shake, but I am bitterly amused that it calls itself the "definitive" record of a "revolution" while actually being by, about, and presumably for white straight misogynist guys, with a couple of token women and gays tossed in--you know, occasionally, if they said something shocking. The message is clear: punk was male. It was for men, by men, about men. (Manly men!)

Funny how the cis women, gay folks, transgender folks, and other genuinely marginal types who truly
Spencer Hughes
A wonderful look into the life, times, and characters involved with a movement that is inspirational and, in many ways, vastly important to the world of today.
Steve
A monolith that's tough to house (depending on your bookshelf), this is my pick for the must-own book on its subject that has pictures. (The superb England's Dreaming is heavy on text but sparse on photos, if it even has any at all; I read it years ago, so forgive me if my memory is hazy.) What we have here is an exhaustive travelogue through one of music's most divisive forms, and every page of it is crammed with fascinating and compelling details. I cannot recommend it enough.
Ed Wagemann
Apr 03, 2012 Ed Wagemann added it
Shelves: rock
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tom Hitchner
Often interesting, but hampered by the authors' prejudices. Bands they don't care for get one page each, and the authors have the annoying habit of putting their own opinions in the book as objective-sounding quotes, then finding a bunch of other quotes that say the same thing, creating the illusion of consensus.
Dx-xb
A collection of stories centralized about the music genre known as punk rock. I found it very interesting and humorous. I appreciated the diversity of the people and bands covered in this book. One infamous incident (I won't give anything away) involving Wayne County was the highlight of the book for me.
Afroditi
Every page is a history chapter!

My only personal objection is that i totally disagree with the writer. The bands he hates are my favorite. But then again i never got to live the punk '77 so...
Holly
I love punk, so I am biased, but I loved the book. I loved the stories, the pictures, and the memories it brought back. There is nothing better to make a middle aged chick feel 17 again.

Neekro
Some cool pics but the story through quotes and conversations wears thin quick,
Jeff Gunter
Very nice photos. Period.
Dafne Von
Dafne Von marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Elli Papadaki
Elli Papadaki marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Mayra
Mayra marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Didzsa Strange
Didzsa Strange marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Maeve
Maeve marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Boþhyna
Boþhyna marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
  • U2 Show
  • Punk
  • We Got the Neutron Bomb: The Untold Story of L.A. Punk
  • A Cultural Dictionary of Punk: 1974-1982
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • I Need More
  • 12 Days on the Road: The Sex Pistols and America
  • Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital
Punk ! PUNK.A LIFE APART Punk Bear Cookin' Inside Music 2006: The Insider's Guide to the Industry