Start by marking “Courting Emma (Little Hickman Creek #3)” as Want to Read:
Courting Emma (Little Hickman Creek #3)

Courting Emma (Little Hickman Creek #3)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Twenty-eight-year-old Emma Browning has experienced a good deal of life in her young age. Proprietor of Emma s Boardinghouse, she is mother to an array of beefy, unkempt, often rowdy characters. Though many men would like to get to know the steely, hard-edged, yet surprisingly lovely proprietor, none has truly succeeded. That is, not until the town s new pastor, Jonathan A ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Whitaker Distribution (first published July 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Courting Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courting Emma

Janine
"Courting Emma" by Sharlene MacLaren is the final book of her Little Hickman Creek Series and WOW what a book and a great ending to the series.

The story at times seems frustrating slow for it wasn't going fast enough for me, but at the same time there was something always going on. There is a lot of hurt that needs to be healed and that is what is being worked on, is the softening of hearts and learning to change long time hurt feelings. How this is done is so perfect and frankly I thought, thou
Jennifer Taylor
Courting Emma is a moving story set in the late 1800's in a small town that touches on forgiveness and overcoming a painful past to live a future of promise. When you first meet Emma she appears hard and tough because she's had to be. Surviving a childhood of abuse and learning to make do on own, Emma doesn't trust others easily. So when Pastor Jonathon sets his sights on her, he has his work cut out for him in winning Emma's heart.

The characters have great depth and a reader can't help but care
Trinity Rose
Courting Emma is book three in the Little Hickman Creek Series by Sharlene MacLaren. I really did enjoy this book. It was full of very nice surprises, twists and turns. I was intrigued by how Emma and the Pastor Jonathan became friends and how they see each other. I was also really involved in finding out what happened between Emma and her father. Also finding out Emma’s fathers background was an eye opener.
The love story between Emma and Jonathan was very sweet and enduring. Not really what I
Deborah
Emma Browning is the owner of the only boardinghouse in Little Hickman Creek, Kentucky, and has been the proprietor for ten years. She plays housekeeper to several rowdy, uncouth characters, but lets no one past the tough exterior of a hardened facade. After enduring years of endless abuse from her father, Ezra she has been careful to ward off anyone and anything that tries to get past the impenetrable armor that stands guard of her heart. Will she ever let anyone in?

A new boarder shows up at he
Lacy Williams
Apr 08, 2008 Lacy Williams rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical lovers, gentle fiction
Shelves: great-reads

Boardinghouse owner Emma Browning may be an old maid, but she's no slouch. She runs the sharpest institution

in town, although her boarders might be a tad on the rough side. She's spent almost her entire lifetime trying

to overcome the stigmas associated with being the child of the town drunk.

That's why, when her new boarder tries to convince her that her dad needs a second chance, she balks.

Reverend Jonathan Atkins has been attracted to Emma since their schoolhouse days, but he's never let her
Kendra
Twenty-eight-year-old Emma Browning has experienced a good deal of life in her young age. Proprietor of Emma's Boardinghouse, she is "mother" to an array of beefy, unkempt, often rowdy characters. Though many men would like to get to know the steely, hard-edged, yet surprisingly lovely proprietor, none has truly succeeded. That is, not until the town's new pastor, Jonathan Atkins, takes up residence in the boardinghouse, affecting not only her with his devout faith and strong convictions, but he ...more
Anita
Although this book takes a long time to get to the point with the love interest, it was still a nice easy read that kept me interested and wondering if they were ever going to figure it out.

Emma and Jon have grown up in the same town. Both are the products of alcoholic parents, except Jon has forgiven and moved on, becoming a Christian minister. Emma runs the town boarding house and begrudgingly gives Jon a room not wanting to be around a man who is christian, or who is so handsome.

Jon helps Em
Cara Grandle
Fun series. Worth the time.
Teresa
Though the stories and characters in all three books are good, I thought Courting Emma (third in the series) was best.
Kristen
This is Sharlene's third book in the Little Hickman Creek novels. While it was clean and very Christian (meaning lots of Bible verses and save your soul type stuff) I thought it could have been 100 pages shorter and been just fine. A lot of repetition, and few surprises. But a quick, clean read.
Charlotte
This is the third in a series of Christian romances. I found the characters a little flat and some of the loose ends not tied up well. I found the conversions a little missing in substance, too. But, it was a pleasant, quick, clean read.
Denise
Mar 24, 2008 Denise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes!
This was my favorite in the series! Shar does a great job presenting Ezra's past and the future that can be built between Emma and Ezra. I can't wait for October, when her next book comes out!
Kali
A clean, Christian story that was an easy read. Very predictable, but I still enjoyed it. To me it was similar to Love Comes Softly, but I enjoyed the story more than Love Comes Softly.
Claudia
I did a lot of skimming with this book. I finished the series because I wanted to find out what the story was behind the final character in book 1.
Mj
Enjoyed this last book in the trilogy. A light but uplifting story that finished out the women in the Little Hickman Creek trilogy.
Katie Watkins
This last book in the series was a little slow for me. It was a cute story, but seemed to take a really long time to develop.
Rebecca
In spite of this being one of MacLaren's earlier novels, its story of love, forgiveness and redemption in this book is timeless!
Michelle Kidwell
Loved watching the main character come to the Lord in this book, well written, I give this book five out of five stars!!!
Kendra
This is the 3rd book in the series. I really enjoyed this series and would love to pick up more of her books.
Amy
Feb 27, 2009 Amy added it
Once again this is another good clean romance. I loved it and this is the last in the series. I really this story.
Jennifer HOot
It's was really interesting story that a girl forgiven her father for abusing her when she was little.
Lisa
I loved this book. It was a clean, sweet love story. Just right for summer time reading!
Bmbednar
I couldn't put these books down until I finished all three!
Tara
Great story so far! Can hardly put it down!
Mary Ellen
Megan
Megan added it
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Home in Drayton Valley (Heart of the Prairie #9)
  • Lanterns and Lace (Texas Legacy #2)
  • A Patchwork Christmas: Three Christmas Romances with Bonus Handcraft Patterns and Cookie Recipes
  • Light of My Heart (Silver Hills Trilogy, #1)
  • Wild Rose (Wild Rose Series #1)
  • Cowboy Christmas (Wild West Weddings #1)
  • A Texan's Honor (Heart of a Hero #2)
  • The Doctor's Mission
  • Lady of Light (Brides of Culdee Creek #3)
  • Secrets on the Wind (Pine Ridge Portraits #1)
  • A Lady Like Sarah (A Rocky Creek Romance, #1)
  • Stitched with Love Collection
  • Heart of Lies (Irish Angel, #2)
  • A River to Cross
  • Ties That Bind (Ribbons West, #3)
  • Finally a Bride (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #3)
  • Child of Grace
After 31 years of teaching second and fourth grades, Shar decided to say, "Bye-bye, Students!" and "Hello, Writing World!" and it's been an interesting, exciting, challenging, and inspiring adventure. One thing she knows for certain—God dropped a seed of passion for writing in her heart back in the summer of 2000, and He's been growing it ever since. She signed on with Whitaker House Publishers in ...more
More about Sharlene MacLaren...

Little Hickman Creek (3 books)
  • Loving Liza Jane (Little Hickman Creek #1)
  • Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2)
Hannah Grace (Daughters of Jacob Kane, #1) Loving Liza Jane (Little Hickman Creek #1) Maggie Rose (Daughters of Jacob Kane #2) Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2) Abbie Ann (Daughters of Jacob Kane #3)

“Grace gave Emma's arm a gentle squeeze and curved her mouth into a thoughtful smile. "That's what God does for its, honey; He takes its just as we are, no matter how sinful or vile. Nothing we do will ever make its worthy of Him, but that's the good news. We don't have to be worthy. Christ paid the ultimate sacrifice for our sins when He died on the cross, so the worst is over. All that remains is for us to ask Him to forgive its and believe that He does. There's nothing more to it than that.” 0 likes