Start by marking “When Gods Awaken” as Want to Read:
When Gods Awaken

When Gods Awaken

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  17 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The beginning is a good place to go wrong, some say, but there’s a certain deity who omnipotently disagrees. Forget all you thought you knew about the first moments of existence, and prepare to have your beliefs played with, tickled, spanked, stretched across spacetime and shattered into so many irrelevant motes of stardust. Travel back to before creation itself, and ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 40 pages
Published September 12th 2014 by Scott Kaelen

To ask other readers questions about When Gods Awaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Gods Awaken

Joe Attanasio
Dec 02, 2014 Joe Attanasio rated it really liked it
When Gods awaken is written in three parts.
The first part is a combination of story and observation expounding on the cycle of creation and extinction of the universe. Popular theories are explained in a playful and entertaining fashion. The creativeness of this part shines.
The second part deals with the creation of man and woman. I found this to be both inventive and entertaining. Dry humor that is based on popular concepts permeates this section.
The third part is comprised of the author’s int
Mandy Dowson
Sep 20, 2014 Mandy Dowson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very surprising read, indeed. It was nothing like I expected, and more than once I *gigglesnorted* whilst those around me looked to me in confusion. It was a teensy taste of jocularity that has whet my appetite for more! I will certainly look forward to reading more from this author.
The author's ability to weave such an intriguing tale, making mock of Creationism whilst doing so, is wonderful. As a Christian myself, but also an intelligent and open-minded reader, I found this hilariously good
Sancho
Jun 11, 2015 Sancho rated it really liked it
This is a book filled with intelligent humor. It is divided in three parts, all of them discussing different concepts of the Abrahamic religions (e.g. the creation of the universe and of man and woman).

It is written as a dialogue between an Observer (God?) and a man who wonders how an all-powerful, all-present, eternal being could be so messy and oblivious.

I really enjoyed reading it. It is short, so it can be read quickly. It can also be easily read more than once, which is what I plan to do!
H.M.C. H.M.C.
When Gods Awaken is a witty and humourous satire about creation, and other biblical ideas.
I enjoyed the read, and laughed out loud a couple of times.
I'd like to see some development of the ideas, as the story seems to end in a strange place, and involves some characters I'd like to hear more about.
This is my second read from Scott Kaelen, and I look forward to reading his book of poetry. His ideas are right up my alley, and his personality shines through in his writing.
Electa Graham
Oct 01, 2014 Electa Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this short with a perma grin on my face. It pokes fun at creationism without breaking the skin. It's satire at its best. Genesis tells us how life on earth began, Scott Kaelen's satiric version is funny and thought provoking. I hope he makes it into a series. I'd love to see his take on the burning bush.
Melissa Rutter
Nov 14, 2014 Melissa Rutter rated it it was amazing
Insightfully amusing read. Smart, witty and a new take on the creation of the world. The dialog is very funny in parts, but you have to have that sort of sense of humour, otherwise it will go over your head. That being said though, I enjoyed the book very much, but I do have 'that' humour somewhere in there. I will definitely read more of Scott's work.
C.N. Crawford
Sep 22, 2014 C.N. Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a genuinely funny read, a clever take on the original creation stories.
Ana
Oct 15, 2014 Ana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Atheists
Shelves: r4r
This book is a satire, a play on Creationism. I liked the beginning, the idea of an Observer, of everything being reborn over and over again after we messed up. And then it all just went downhill for me.

Queue a capricious, oblivious, utterly dumb creator (as expected in a satire of religion) and a sassy, know-it-all first man (I’m sure a lot of people would love the chance to talk back to their Creator like that but those don’t actually believe in one, which is kind of the point of the book undo
Scott Kaelen
Nov 04, 2014 Scott Kaelen rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kantami Blossom
Kantami Blossom rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Ian Barnes-Keoghan
Ian Barnes-Keoghan rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Soizic
Soizic rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2015
Mexpedip
Mexpedip rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Nightocelot
Nightocelot rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Jerome Brooke
Oct 17, 2014 Jerome Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaelen gives the reader a story of creation that is orignal, and crafted with care. Good Work.
Becky Hilton
Becky Hilton rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Thomwalker
Thomwalker rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Connor Young
Connor Young marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
James Hollomon
James Hollomon marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Amanda (LB)
Amanda (LB) marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
The Cosy Reader
The Cosy Reader marked it as to-read
Nav Logan
Nav Logan marked it as to-read
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Devona
Devona marked it as to-read
Jane Deeney
Jane Deeney marked it as to-read
Dyphana Neblett
Dyphana Neblett marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Christina Knowles
Christina Knowles marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Joshua Kreeck
Joshua Kreeck marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Layali
Layali marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Lady Living  In Bookland
Lady Living In Bookland marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Aketzle
Aketzle marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Montzalee Wittmann
Montzalee Wittmann marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Ben Aultowski
Ben Aultowski marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jarred
Jarred marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Teri Zuckerman
Teri Zuckerman marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please delete cover edition 8 30 Mar 15, 2015 06:15AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine editions 2 13 Jan 03, 2015 05:11AM
Scott Kaelen writes in the genres of poetry, epic fantasy, science fiction, horror, humour, and non-fiction. His published works include his first poetry volume DeadVerse, and the non-fiction release Life, The Universe & Free Thinking. His current projects are the first ful-length entry in the Verragos Tapestry series and a second volume of poetry.
He is modestly adept with visual creations su
More about Scott Kaelen...

“Cosmos drew himself to his full height. His cavernous chest swelled and his wings and various other appendages spread open, encompassing all the land and the rain-filled skies. “Henceforth,” he boomed, “you shall call me your Omniarch, or Creator, or Lord. Maybe God. Lord Omniarch sounds best. But don’t call me Jehovah or I’ll drop a mountain on your head. I’m not joking.”
“Fair enough,” said Terry, quickly adding, “Lord Omniarch,” when Cosmos growled.
“And you shall spread word of my names – except Jehovah – to everyone! And to the dust shall you shout my names; yea, to the trees, also. And the mountains shall ring with the echo of my names, and the beasts of the ground and of the air and rivers and seas shall hear of me, and, though they will not comprehend, they will yet grovel under my might.”
“Why,” said Terry, “if you don’t want me to say it, do you keep mentioning the name Jeh–”
0 likes