Start by marking “Pickled, Potted, and Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  15 reviews
We may not give much thought to the boxes in our freezers or the cans on our shelves, but behind the story of food preservation is the history of civilization itself. The development of portable, preserved food enabled the great explorers to travel into the unknown and gradually map the planet, facilitated the conquest of new territories, and created routes for the expansi ...more
Published July 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Pickled, Potted, and Canned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pickled, Potted, and Canned

Martinxo
This is a very well researched book on the history of food preserving. Too much detail for me though, I ended up skimming the 300 or so pages. I would have preferred a 30 page essay. Don't let my two stars put you off though, good for anyone who wants the in-depth history.
Jess
This book kicked off my current obsession with preserving foods -- I think it's such a fascinating part of all the food-related issues I'm interested in. Plus, where else can you read about Attila the Hun's "gallop-cured" meat -- preserved by the up-and-down motion of the rider, plus the salt from the horse's sweat. Yum.

I've been reading all I can about the alternative models of agriculture and food business that have arisen as if in opposition of our current dominant industrial system: all kind
Sheila
Currently reading- as you can guess from the title this book is about food preserving- specifically, the history of food preserving. If you want to know why we react to foods with built-in biases, Sue Shepherd gives you the wherefores and whats but lets you develop the whys.
Cylvia, this book is in the library. With a waiting list...

This was an intriguing book to read alongside Mark Bittman's "Food Matters" and Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma". Sue Shepherd provides historical perspective o
Joyce
This is a very cool book. The subtitle is "How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World" - to which I can only say "Thank Heavens!!" Pretty amazing that the human body can survive some of the assaults made upon it in the search for food. And the endeavor to preserve food for later consumption. The stories are fascinating. From "gallop curing" meat (Attila the Hun) to frozen vegetables at our fingertips (Clarence Birdseye) - it's been a long journey and we're not finished yet.

If y
Arlian
I can't say enough good things about this book. Comprehensive and very thorough, yet very readable and accessible. Engaging, interesting, fascinating, informative. I could probably come up with more positive-adjectives, but suffice to say this book was just plain wonderful. It was a joy to read and I learned a lot. What more could I ask for?
Rachel Meyers
Interesting book for what it was (the history of preserving food). It was well researched and actually a pretty good non-fiction read. However, I was looking for a book with recipes on how to pickle, preserve and can... this is not the book if that's what you're looking for. So, it's my own fault and not the book's :)
Tracey
Not quite as engaging as Kurlansky and occasionally both a bit scattershot & repetitive; but still an interesting look at the history of food preservation around the world, as well how history was influenced by the slowly improving technologies.
Cerealflakes
This is a well-researched book on food preservation throughout history. I found certain sections (canning, freezing) more interesting than others (freeze drying meat), but overall an interesting book. Parts of the book were pretty dry.
Mindy
I was really excited to take this home and dig in. However, I just couldn't get into it, and ended up skimming over most of the book until something briefly caught my interest. Not sure what went wrong, it was very informational.
Caryn
Fascinating read- very thorough and full of interesting facts. Despite the somewhat stale (excuse the pun) topic, the writing is flavorfull and overall its a great book!
Shannon Dils
Where's the 'gave up' reading button?

Too much history, more written as bullet points then actual good storytelling.
Seth
not as boring as it sounds! Also, this is what happens when you read to many post-apocalypse books. Maybe focuses too much on the British Navy.
Lindsay
Didn't make it all the way through, but it was interesting! Just a whole lot of information...
Amber
Dec 24, 2008 Amber added it
A fun book to read in the style of SALT. Not as good as salt, but nice reading.
Cylvia
Fasanating Historical Account
Sheri Vanosdol
Sheri Vanosdol marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Marianna
Marianna marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Bee
Bee marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Salima
Salima marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jessica Fontaine
Jessica Fontaine marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Paa
Paa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Rosella
Rosella marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Lyndsie Plowman
Lyndsie Plowman marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Cathleen
Cathleen marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Stephanie Giegerich
Stephanie Giegerich marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food
  • Taste: The Story of Britain Through Its Cooking
  • Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
  • Vanilla: Travels in Search of the Ice Cream Orchid
  • Potato: A History of the Propitious Esculent
  • The Potato: How the Humble Spud Rescued the Western World
  • The Fruit Hunters: A Story of Nature, Obsession, Commerce, and Adventure
  • Vanilla: The Cultural History of the World's Favorite Flavor and Fragrance
  • The Emperors of Chocolate: Inside the Secret World of Hershey and Mars
  • Coffee: A Dark History
  • Swindled: From Poison Sweets to Counterfeit Coffee—The Dark History of the Food Cheats
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in Modern History
  • Never Satisfied : A Cultural History of Diets, Fantasies & Fat
  • Food: The History of Taste
  • Food in History
  • Kitchen Literacy: How We Lost Knowledge of Where Food Comes from and Why We Need to Get It Back
The Surprising Life of Constance Spry Seeds of Fortune