Start by marking “Pickled, Potted, and Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  15 reviews
We may not give much thought to the boxes in our freezers or the cans on our shelves, but behind the story of food preservation is the history of civilization itself. The development of portable, preserved food enabled the great explorers to travel into the unknown and gradually map the planet, facilitated the conquest of new territories, and created routes for the expansi ...more
Published July 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Pickled, Potted, and Canned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pickled, Potted, and Canned

Martinxo
This is a very well researched book on the history of food preserving. Too much detail for me though, I ended up skimming the 300 or so pages. I would have preferred a 30 page essay. Don't let my two stars put you off though, good for anyone who wants the in-depth history.
Sheila
Currently reading- as you can guess from the title this book is about food preserving- specifically, the history of food preserving. If you want to know why we react to foods with built-in biases, Sue Shepherd gives you the wherefores and whats but lets you develop the whys.
Cylvia, this book is in the library. With a waiting list...

This was an intriguing book to read alongside Mark Bittman's "Food Matters" and Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma". Sue Shepherd provides historical perspective o
Joyce
This is a very cool book. The subtitle is "How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World" - to which I can only say "Thank Heavens!!" Pretty amazing that the human body can survive some of the assaults made upon it in the search for food. And the endeavor to preserve food for later consumption. The stories are fascinating. From "gallop curing" meat (Attila the Hun) to frozen vegetables at our fingertips (Clarence Birdseye) - it's been a long journey and we're not finished yet.

If y
Arlian
I can't say enough good things about this book. Comprehensive and very thorough, yet very readable and accessible. Engaging, interesting, fascinating, informative. I could probably come up with more positive-adjectives, but suffice to say this book was just plain wonderful. It was a joy to read and I learned a lot. What more could I ask for?
Tracey
Not quite as engaging as Kurlansky and occasionally both a bit scattershot & repetitive; but still an interesting look at the history of food preservation around the world, as well how history was influenced by the slowly improving technologies.
Mindy
I was really excited to take this home and dig in. However, I just couldn't get into it, and ended up skimming over most of the book until something briefly caught my interest. Not sure what went wrong, it was very informational.
Jess
This book kicked off my current obsession with preserving foods -- I think it's such a fascinating part of all the food-related issues I'm interested in. Plus, where else can you read about Attila the Hun's "gallop-cured" meat -- preserved by the up-and-down motion of the rider, plus the salt from the horse's sweat. Yum.

I've been reading all I can about the alternative models of agriculture and food business that have arisen as if in opposition of our current dominant industrial system: all kind
Rachel Meyers
Interesting book for what it was (the history of preserving food). It was well researched and actually a pretty good non-fiction read. However, I was looking for a book with recipes on how to pickle, preserve and can... this is not the book if that's what you're looking for. So, it's my own fault and not the book's :)
Cerealflakes
This is a well-researched book on food preservation throughout history. I found certain sections (canning, freezing) more interesting than others (freeze drying meat), but overall an interesting book. Parts of the book were pretty dry.
Caryn
Fascinating read- very thorough and full of interesting facts. Despite the somewhat stale (excuse the pun) topic, the writing is flavorfull and overall its a great book!
Shannon Dils
Where's the 'gave up' reading button?

Too much history, more written as bullet points then actual good storytelling.
Seth
not as boring as it sounds! Also, this is what happens when you read to many post-apocalypse books. Maybe focuses too much on the British Navy.
Lindsay
Didn't make it all the way through, but it was interesting! Just a whole lot of information...
Amber
Dec 24, 2008 Amber added it
A fun book to read in the style of SALT. Not as good as salt, but nice reading.
Cylvia
Fasanating Historical Account
Jennifer Hensley
Jennifer Hensley marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Maria
Maria added it
Jun 19, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Cat Bee
Cat Bee marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Sheri Hiebert
Sheri Hiebert marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Cynthia Guerra
Cynthia Guerra marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Kauz
Kauz marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Jesse Honey
Jesse Honey marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Cynthia Garza
Cynthia Garza marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Michael Koehler
Michael Koehler marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
  • In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food
  • Taste: The Story of Britain Through Its Cooking
  • Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
  • The Potato: How the Humble Spud Rescued the Western World
  • Potato: A History of the Propitious Esculent
  • Coffee: A Dark History
  • The Emperors of Chocolate: Inside the Secret World of Hershey and Mars
  • Breakfast: A History
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances
  • Olives: The Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit