Start by marking “How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be” as Want to Read:
How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be

How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

Hundreds of thousand of parents have attended Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish's patenting workshops; now, this unique audiobook will allow every parent to bring that experience home with them. Hear the inspiring real-life stories of parents who have put these ideas into action, and you'll soon realize that you can do it too.

By listening to this groundbreaking audiobook,

Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be

May 19, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: How to Be the Parent You Always Wanted to Be
Author: Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
Read by: Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Length: 1 hour, 8 minutes
Source: MP4 Audio from Simon & Schuster Audio – Thanks!

I previously have listened to the audiobook How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish and picked up some good tips. How to Be the Parent You Always Wanted to Be is more of a review of that book wit
Bethany
I was given an ARC by the publisher through NetGalley.

I had expected this to be more like How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk in its style, but instead it was framed more as a workbook: a refresher course, so to speak, for specific situations in which a parent doesn't have time to dig through a whole book to find a solution to their problem. In that sense, I think the book succeeds. I'm giving it three stars, though, because I would have liked more universality and les
Abbey
Jan 27, 2015 Abbey rated it liked it
I wanted to read How to Talk So Your Child Will Listen by Faber but this book was available at the library instead. It was very short. I read it in an hour. It has great advice. I feel like I communicate very well with my children but my hubby tends to label the children when Hea upset. Farber writes that labeling them only reinforces their behavior. For example, if they whine you don't say, "you whine all the time!!" Instead say, "I have a hard time hearing you when you don't use your big girl ...more
Ashley
Feb 23, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quick read totaling 94 pages. Every page provides examples of situations parents find themselves in on a daily basis with suggested answers for how to approach each problem-four stars for this reason. Tangible and applicable problem solving to help you interact with your kids so they feel uplifted and empowered in the decision making process. Easier said than done! A handy resource for when you're not sure what to do.
Matthew Turner
What I loved: it’s condensed. It feels like they were ruthless with content and just cut anything that was repetitive or superfluous. Which makes a nice change from self-help books that feel padded.

As for the content itself --- yes it’s very good. A little hackneyed at times, but overall very helpful. I personally loved the role-playing, even if the authors didn’t quite capture the specific ability of my own children to find the most bizarrely irrational response to any given situation --- they
Mary
Mar 01, 2014 Mary rated it did not like it
I'm not sure of the target audience of the book. Generally I like and believe all the information it was just so weird in its format.
Silas
Apr 25, 2014 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a bit shorter than I expected when I purchased it, but there was some fairly good advice on talking to children. As something of an empathic person, this wasn't reinventing the wheel for me, but there were a couple of good tips here, and the authors voices were rather amusing, and they kept it light and fun. It was probably worth the hour.
Sofia Du barry
Feb 11, 2015 Sofia Du barry rated it it was amazing
Perfect! Easy to read, for all those, who are in hurry or don't like to read, or just want to have something short as help near by. A short version of How to talk so kids will listen... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...
Muriel Fang
Nov 03, 2015 Muriel Fang rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of discussion in this short book. It has enacted conversation between 'child' and 'parent'. Those realistic examples are helpful to illustrate real-life examples of preventing from being manipulated by the child, or from failing to set a limit for the child.
Danya
Oct 09, 2015 Danya rated it it was amazing
I can't rate the books by these authors highly enough. They provide easy to understand strategies that are easy to implement. They provide a completely new mindset to meet the needs of children in today's society.
Meg
Jan 27, 2015 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love that this book was short and to the
point. I have 4 children and have a hard time sitting down to read. This gave me practical solutions that I could implement immediately. Plus, I can go back for a quick review in moments.
Beth
Apr 24, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
This audiobook is an hour long. I've never read anything written by the authors so I wasn't sure what to expect. I liked how they modeled their techniques.
Feb 04, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, parenting, 2016
Nice quick intro to this style of parenting if you've not read any of Faber's other books ... but if you have this doesn't contain anything new.
Major Doug
Jul 31, 2014 Major Doug rated it it was ok
Listened to this book: good verbal judo techniques for kids (& some adults); however, they used the same examples as one of their other books.
Liuyang Li
Most of the ideas have already been covered by the authors' other books.
Jason
Mar 06, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improvement
Great examples of empathetic listening.
Megan
Nov 19, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Lots of good advice. Quick read. I need to commit it to memory!
Ildar Shakirov
Jul 24, 2016 Ildar Shakirov rated it it was amazing
Мне очень нравится подход авторов к вопросу воспитания детей. Это уже третья их книга, которую я почитал. Книга помогает осознанно реагировать на ситуации, возникающие с детьми, выбирать правильные слова при разговоре. Думаю, я буду ещё не раз перечитывать эту книгу и обращаться к ней по мере необходимости. Советую всем родителям!
Lisa
Aug 07, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok
A very brief overview of concepts on parenting. Definitely not in-depth enough, very little details. Some good concepts introduced, but, they needed to go into much more details and specifics. Skip it.
Jen
Dec 06, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
I appreciated that this book was very practical, with lots of examples. The authors' approach seemed very similar to me to Parenting With Love and Logic.
Kenia
Jan 11, 2011 Kenia rated it it was ok
The book had very good examples. I dont think it went it to great details but then again with the few examples I was able to get a few good ideas.
Terra
Nov 09, 2013 Terra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A parenting graphic novel with quizzes and even better, actual, helpful answers and scenarios. This is what a parenting book should aspire to be.
Nov 17, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Concise (which I appreciate) and very helpful. Contains some great nuggets of wisdom and practical strategies.
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Maciej Brogowski
Maciej Brogowski marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Trisha Davis
Trisha Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Nikki Francisco
Nikki Francisco marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Kristi Burdsall
Kristi Burdsall is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Stephanie Reeder
Stephanie Reeder marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Arpit Trivedi
Arpit Trivedi marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Start Fresh: Your Child's Jump Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating
  • The Artful Parent: Simple Ways to Fill Your Family's Life with Art and Creativity--Includes over 60 Art Projects for Children Ages 1 to 8
  • Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness
  • Teaching Kids to Be Good People: Progressive Parenting for the 21st Century
  • Tinkerlab: A Hands-On Guide for Little Inventors
  • Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • The Digital Mom Handbook: How to Blog, Vlog, Tweet, and Facebook Your Way to a Dream Career at Home
  • Choices and Illusions: How Did I Get Where I Am, and  How Do I Get Where I Want to Be?
  • I'd Listen to My Parents If They'd Just Shut Up: What to Say and Not Say When Parenting Teens
  • Spruce: A Step-by-Step Guide to Upholstery and Design
  • Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting: Simple Skills to Transform Your Child
  • Hashbrown Winters and the Whiz-Tastrophe
  • Baby Hearts: A Guide to Giving Your Child an Emotional Head Start
  • How to Talk to Kids So Kids Liste
  • Parking Lot Rules & 75 Other Ideas for Raising Amazing Children
  • Raising a Reader: A Mother's Tale of Desperation and Delight
  • The Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas
Adele Faber graduated from Queens College with a B.A. in theater and drama, earned her master's degree in education from New York University, and taught in the New York City high schools for eight years before joining the faculty of the New School for Social Research in New York and Family Life Institute of C.W. Post College of Long Island University. She is the mother of three children.
More about Adele Faber...