Start by marking “Urban Sprawl and Public Health: Designing, Planning, and Building for Healthy Communities” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In Urban Sprawl and Public Health, three of the nation's leading public health and urban planning experts explore an intriguing question: How does the physical environment in which we live affect our health? For decades, growth and development in our communities has been of the low-density, automobile-dependent type known as sprawl. The authors examine the direct and indir ...more
Published July 9th 2004 by Island Press

To ask other readers questions about Urban Sprawl and Public Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Sprawl and Public Health

Jonathan
Frumpkin gave a great lecture at UW a couple years ago, complete with slides of pedestrian-unfriendly Atlanta locations (many of which I recognized!). His conclusions about the affects of urban sprawl on physical health were not surprising. The implications for child development and social health are less obvious and just as dire.
Courtney
Mar 18, 2012 Courtney rated it did not like it
This book was irritating. The author's general point that we should walk more, cities could be planned better and that well done planning can lead to positive health outcomes is good and I agree with this. However, his support and arguments were consistently flawed. He only presented the negative side of cars and the suburbs but rarely if ever showed how life was better in the cities or via public transit. I spent the entire book waiting for him to propose a plausible solution but no solution ev ...more
Melissa
Feb 04, 2016 Melissa marked it as to-read
I can't believe my life has gotten to the point where I am actually reading a 'text book' but this whole urban design with active community environments is beyond fascinating to me. This book is definitely a slow read due to the new urban planning language, but fascinating to say the least!
Jeff
Jan 29, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it
As suggested in the foreword, it's a great primer on urban planning for science folks, and a great public health primer for urban planning folks. It's a very quick read.
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
James
James added it
Apr 02, 2016
Mary Formby
Mary Formby marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Emilee Shank
Emilee Shank marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Nicole Yarbrough
Nicole Yarbrough marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Brody Mulligan
Brody Mulligan rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Eagan
Eagan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Vhalros
Vhalros marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Patrick Ferrell
Patrick Ferrell marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
David Andrew
David Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Mahshad Hamzavy
Mahshad Hamzavy is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2015
Staci Haber
Staci Haber marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Douglas Perin
Douglas Perin marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Bryan Griffith
Bryan Griffith marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
David Backes
David Backes marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Bob Zelle
Bob Zelle rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Stacey Philliber
Stacey Philliber marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Chriseerl
Chriseerl marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Madeline Kaufman
Madeline Kaufman marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Ryan Behring
Ryan Behring marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Liz Wartella
Liz Wartella rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Kate Shindle
Kate Shindle marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015