Start by marking “Family Outing: What Happened When I Found Out My Mother Was Gay” as Want to Read:
Family Outing: What Happened When I Found Out My Mother Was Gay

Family Outing: What Happened When I Found Out My Mother Was Gay

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Like most teenagers, Troy Johnson was obsessed with sex, but his coming of age took a sharp turn when-in the era before +Don't Ask, Don't Tell+-he learned his mother was a lesbian. When he found out her secret (during a surprise visit from her ex-lover) his head spun. Does that mean Mom cruises schoolyards? Does that mean I have the gay gene? If I sleep with enough women, ...more
Published June 16th 2008 by Arcade Publishing (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Family Outing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Outing

The Kid by Dan SavageConfessions of the Other Mother by Harlyn AizleyFamilies Like Mine by Abigail GarnerA Family by Any Other Name by Bruce GillespieFairyland by Alysia Abbott
Nonfiction: Gay & lesbian parenting
29th out of 118 books — 20 voters
Boy2Girl by Terence BlackerHappy Families by Tanita S. DavisThe Boy Recession by Flynn MeaneyThe Twenty by Claudia CarozzaFamily Outing by Troy Johnson
Restroom Silhouette People
5th out of 59 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Leigh-ann
I guess I was supposed to think that reading about this guy being a jerk for most of his teenage and adult life was funny. I didn't think it was funny, and I felt sorry for his mother for having to put up with him. I also don't feel like the author is as "okay" with his mother's sexual orientation as he wants everyone to think he is.
A memoir/coming of age book. Much more than just dealing with his gay mom but also a very honest look at his own struggles with identity. Sometimes tries too hard to be funny with wacky analogies. But a decent book, definitely more honest than a lot of what is out there.
J.M. Cornwell
Coming to terms with a suddenly out gay parent.

What would you do if a neighbor said your mother was a lesbian? Troy broke down and cried. He didn’t really understand what lesbian or homosexual meant, but he knew something had drastically changed and he had lost his mother. Family Outing is Troy’s destructive journey away from and circuitous path back to his mother.

Family and friends distanced themselves from Troy’s mother when she came out, and so did Troy. He told the family counselor it didn
caroline
i probably have a biased opinion here, but my bias also probably goes both ways.

this book is HILARIOUS at times (just like the author), but also seems like its really trying to hard at times (just like the author). i definitely had some great laughs while reading it, but overall, was just ready for it to be done with. i prefer johnson's writing in magazine articles - it's really good in small doses (just like the author).

it should be noted, however, that both my mother and i are mentioned in th
Humorous, well written, and interesting memoir of a guy who is unable to cope with his mother being a lesbian - so he becomes a drunk slutty bigot and then has to find his way back from being a total asshole. The author is frank and funny, as he describes sleeping around to prove that he wouldn't suddenly activate a gay gene, and he doesn't shy away from presenting his past in an unflattering light. A worthy addition to the memoir genre and the field of queerspawn lit.
Ghym
This is an interesting book, about a guy who found out his mom was gay when he was an adolescent. He's very funny at times, and the book brings up issues about what it's like to grow up with a gay parent, issues those "touchy-feely" books never get into. But the book also drags and is a bit all over the place, focusing less, sometimes, on the mom, and more on Troy. Overall, a good read. Worth picking up.
Ann
Such lousy cover art for such a gut-wrenching, laugh-out-loud account of being the son of a mother he thought was traditional--only to find she's gay! Written years after its setting, every detail is remembered, and especially the angst in knowing his mother represents his fiercest ally as well as the most feared parts of himself.
Ann
Memoir of a boy coming to terms with his mom's gayness. An easy read that is entertaining.
Kristina
Jun 25, 2008 Kristina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: there's something for everyone
Witty and honest story about what it was like to grow up with a gay mom in the Reagan 80's.
Meredith
a funny queerspawn memoir
Jskrier
Funny and honest
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Chantal Aucoin
Chantal Aucoin marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Courte
Courte marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Zlatathebookworm
Zlatathebookworm marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Grayson
Grayson marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
ErinM
ErinM marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Gina Pangelinan
Gina Pangelinan marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Super Bowl Recipes Congratulations Graduate!: Let the Journey Begin Contemporary Native American Political Issues Increasing Healthy Life Span: Conventional Measures and Slowing the Innate Aging Process Indian Land Forever: The Indian Occupation of Alcatraz, 1969 to 1971