Start by marking “The Switch” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  861 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
When Tad Spencer's father denies him a trip to a theme park, Tad wishes he were someone else. The next day, his wish comes true.
Published 2004 by Walker Books (first published January 1st 1995)

Freaky Friday by Mary RodgersGender Blender by Blake NelsonSwitchcraft by Mary CastilloIn My Shoes by Adrian StephensFreaky Monday by Mary Rodgers
Freaky Friday and other body switching stories
29th out of 43 books — 8 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanThe Mark of Athena by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Best Books
142nd out of 170 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Cathrine Bonham
May 01, 2012 Cathrine Bonham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a neat twist on the Prince and the Pauper story.

When spoiled rich kid, Tad Spencer, thoughtlessly wishes that he was someone else he learns the hard way that money isn't everything. Going to bed as wealthy Tad and waking up as the poor and criminally inclined Bob is a shock to him but he does a better job of blending in than Bob does as Tad. Tad's elite parents expect him to know Latin and Greek and to have actual table manners.

I love body switching stories and this was good one. Body s
Simon Aldous
Apr 26, 2013 Simon Aldous rated it liked it
I'd really not got on with the Anthony Horowitz books I'd read up until this one, but because he seems to be one of the few authors my 8-year-old son will let me read to him, I've had to persist - and whatever I may think of Horowitz, I have to give him credit for helping prevent my son being completely turned off reading!

In any case, I rather enjoyed this one. It's a body-swap story, which Horowitz firmly acknowledges is not an original idea, but he does do something different with it. Tad is t
Calhunter6
Apr 28, 2015 Calhunter6 rated it really liked it
For one of my independent reading book I read the switch by Anthony Horowitz. I went away from my usually path of sports books and went with a mystery. I have read some of Anthony's other books such as some of the Alex Rider series, so I decided to try another one of his books. The book is about a boy named Tad Spencer who lives in a mansion, and has parents who give him whatever he wants. He is so rich because of his father's very successful business of beauty cream lotion that is given to huma ...more
Mark
Sep 12, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
To this day "The Switch" remains one of my favourite books; although the premise is unoriginal and there are ideas clearly taken from other literary works Anthony Horowitz has produced a fantastic, and sometimes horrifying, version of one of literature's classic tales which is definitely worth the read.

The book tells the tale of Tad Spencer, a typically snooty rich kid who doesn't even think to look beyond the constraints of his easy life. Not long into the book Tad, to his horror, finds himself
Pandora
Feb 14, 2015 Pandora rated it it was amazing
Once again Anthony Horowitz spins his magic with this novel The Switch. With a plot line of Freaky Friday in which Tad an overweight spoiled rich kids up switching bodies one fateful night with Bob - a petty thief who lives in a horrible carnival.

Tad now has to learn his wits to survive and keep out of harm's way. As in any good adventure tale Tad learns more about his inner self and gains a better perspective of himself. The growth of Tad is a great pleasure to read. The ending is a perfect A+
Nicola Mansfield
May 02, 2014 Nicola Mansfield rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nicola by: Matthew Sean
My son read this book and really enjoyed it so I read it after him. That is a deal we have. This is my first book by this author and while I only thought it was good/ok, I would still like to try some of his other work. A typical scenario of trading places as in "The Prince and the Pauper" only a little magic is involved more like "Freaky Friday". A rich boy and a street-wise carnival thief wake up in each other's bodies. While written in the third person we follow the story from Tad (the rich b ...more
Dale
Sep 28, 2013 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the things we value and how life may not always be as it seems. Short and well written, although I think there are quite a few Brit-centric references that may puzzle Aussie kids.
K.C. Rivers
May 28, 2009 K.C. Rivers rated it really liked it
A cute story and fun, easy read. Anthony Horowitz has yet to disappoint me. Even his shorter stories are worth reading.
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Read this in year 7 or 8 I think. I remember it being a strange, slightly scary book. Thoroughly enjoyable though.
Om Manghani
Feb 19, 2016 Om Manghani rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-8
This one was nice, there was definitely a lot to like about it, however I do not think that it is one of Horowitz's best books - the action and suspense was not as great as it could have been.

However, a lot of good lessons to learn from the book, and an interesting plot. The book showed me personally, how there is a lot of love in this world, and sometimes the love is not where we think it is. For example, with Sir Hubert and his wife, it would be stereotypical that they have a lot of love, how
Robyn Bave
Mar 02, 2009 Robyn Bave rated it it was ok
An odd "The Prince and the Pauper". Just when you think you know what will happen you are thrown a curve.
Iman Ismaeel
May 23, 2011 Iman Ismaeel rated it it was amazing
should be the first thing to choose from the shelf.... for beginners
Negar
یعنی من این کتاب رو ندیده بودم قبلاً؟ :))
Erin Forson
by Anthony Horowitz
Imagine being a millionaire, you want for nothing. Ipod? You have three. Flat Screen? Whatever—that technology is so yesterday. Car? Um, do you want to drive your Porsche today or your Jaguar? That's Tad's life being the son of a tycoon. His dad sells all-natural beauty creams that have never been tested on animals. The public eats up the product. But one day Tad makes a wish, and when he wakes up he is in the grossest, poorest possible surroundings and inside of a s
Linda
Feb 24, 2016 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love everything that Anthony Horowitz ever wrote. This book is a stand-alone quick read that was enjoyable. It had a few unforeseen twists that made it interesting.

Tad Spencer is a fat rich boy with everything imaginable. One day he wishes he were someone else. When he awakens he is in the body of another boy- Bob Snarby, a thin dirty boy who lives in a dirty caravan in a corrupt world. Forced to rob rich people's home, he soon realizes that neither life if ideal.
Jackie
Rich, spoiled, yet ever-so-sickenly-polite, Thomas Arnold David Spencer, Tad for short, realizes a little too late that is dangerous to wish for something that you may not really want. When he wishes to be somebody else, he switches places with Bob Snarby, a dirty, poor, street urchin with monsterous parents and a life full of criminal activity and dangerous plots. In The Switch, Tad and Bob scramble to acclimate themselves into their new lives, and as a result find out a lot about themselves an ...more
Queen
Mar 12, 2016 Queen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Queen by: Nobody
Shelves: disappointments
I don't know why I keep returning to Anthony Horowitz books when clearly, his writing is not my thing.
The start hooked me, but it was not an original one all the same. The whole book was so dull and preditable I almost threw it across the room in exasperation.
The characters were so boring and stereotypical. What a flat, disappointing book.
I believe that I must be trying to find a book of this author's that I actually like, for I still keep returning to them.
description
Lynn O
Feb 24, 2016 Lynn O rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fantasy, action adventure; This book starts out being like The Prince and the Pauper, but has an interesting twist to it. The theme of knowing what the right thing is to do and having ethics rather than money or power is well done. Lots of action. This is the same author as the Alex Rider series.
Izzy
May 11, 2013 Izzy is currently reading it
Kind of a neat twist on the Prince and the Pauper story.

I love body switching stories and this was good one. Body s
Arghavan
Jul 13, 2014 Arghavan rated it liked it
Recommended to Arghavan by: شکیبا -دخترعمّه- .
من از این خیــلی ترسیدم. :)) قشنگ یادم ه. :)) بعد از خوندنش، تا دوسال جرئت نداشتم غر بزنم که کاش یکی دیگه بودم و اینا. :-"

حتّی اسمِ ترجمهی فارسیش هم یادم نیست. فقط یادم بود که آنتونی هوروویتس نوشتهش؛ و خب مشتاق بودم که ادش کنم. :ی
Connie
Apr 05, 2010 Connie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-school
I read this book for our local elementary school, for rating purposes. I have always liked the trading bodies idea ie: Freaky Friday & Vice Versa movies. The movies were great! This book has to do with a rich boy trading bodies with a poor boy. It was pretty good. Though, I am a little concerned a fourth grader will be reading it - monthly AR tests are required at this school. A few people get shot, there are a few home invations, a stabbing, 3+ swear words, and the authority figures in this ...more
Lostaccount Darkpool
May 04, 2015 Lostaccount Darkpool rated it really liked it
A take on the old Prince and the Pauper theme. Great characters - Doll wiping her mouth with a kipper! And Finn reminded me of Fagin from Oliver Twist. Horowitz has a great sense of humour. I don't think you have to be a kid to enjoy this book.
Alison Condliffe
May 01, 2016 Alison Condliffe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-books
I loved this book. At first I thought this was just another 'freaky Friday' remake of characters switching bodies however Horowitz gave this story a great twist. I couldn't predict what would happen, which was great, I was guessing until the end.
Annaha Ibrahim
a 13 year old boy whose name is tad spencer did extremely well in his studies but he is obviously overweight. born to a filthy rich family, he has everything he had ever wanted until one night, he wished for something he shouldn't so he woke up in another boy's body, bob snarby. bob is a pitiable child of eric and doll snarby who lived in poverty and crime.

it was a good story and i really like the twist at the end. the way flinn died. the way sir hubert spencer exposed his testing on children a
Karen
Sep 28, 2009 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Boys or girls who like other books by Anthony Horowitz.
Recommended to Karen by: find books by title or author or isbn
Shelves: magic, action
Tad, a wealthy, spoiled chubby boy, wakes up one morning to find himself in the body of a someone completely different -- a poor, skinny, filthy, dishonest boy named Bob who works in a carnival. How did it happen, and why? And is the real Bob now inhabiting Tad's body? Boys will enjoy this action-filled story reminiscent of Freaky Fridayand The Prince and the Pauper. Tad ends up learning more than he expected about his real family and about himself.
Nikola Glushkov
Apr 05, 2015 Nikola Glushkov rated it it was amazing
I personally loved this book as it had that interesting story and moreover, the characters!!! I highly recommend it!!! :)
Sylvia
May 11, 2016 Sylvia rated it liked it
An entertaining read with enough twists and turns to satisfy any reader between 10 and 14.
Henna
Apr 20, 2014 Henna rated it it was amazing
Very good book it tells you the life of a rich boy and a poor boy and there lives get switched.
Mark Soone
Oct 31, 2012 Mark Soone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a cool little story....I was waiting on books 2-4 of the Diamond brothers detectives series, and having just read groosham grange spied this one and thought what the heck. Turns out this was a very cool spin on a prince and the pauper esque type of stories.

recommended for teen/tween fantasy adventure lovers. Keep in mind this is not very deep and character development is quite minimal....Yet, the characters are still likeable & unlikeable....it is a very light and fast paced story....Qu
Marco
Sep 14, 2010 Marco rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me being a great fan of Anthony Horowitz, decided to purchase this book. It was a quick read but great nevertheless - it captures the life of the spoilt son of a rich businessman, Tad who switches bodies with a less-privileged boy who's parents work in the carnival.

This leads on to many things; kidnappings, break-ins, gypsies and even an evil secret that could change Tads life forever.

Great book, well plotted and even has the distinctive characteristic that Roald Dahl's stories has. Well done t
  • The Tunnel Behind the Waterfall (The Magician's House Quartet, #3)
  • Ten Stories about Smoking
  • Rem World
  • Nicobobinus
  • General Prologue To The Canterbury Tales
  • Anne Frank's Story
  • The Story of Spain: The Dramatic History of Europe's Most Fascinating Country
  • Aliens Don't Carve Jack-O'-Lanterns (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids Holiday Special, #2)
  • The Talent Thief
  • George Speaks
  • Sarah's Story
  • Harvey Ángel
  • Good Grief...Third Grade
  • Beside the Sea
  • Ghost Class (Ghostville Elementary #1)
  • Mrs Rosie and the Priest
  • Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)
  • Fantasy Stories
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more
More about Anthony Horowitz...