Love Is a Wild Assault

Love Is a Wild Assault

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Delicate and dark-eyed, Harriet Potter became a legend for all time--a woman compelling sudden loves and fierce loyalties against the colorful backdrop of a brawling, newborn republic.

Abandoned to the savage wilderness and left to die, she fought a courageous battle for survival. And soon she was a proud beauty dressed in a silken gown--boldly escaping the approaching Mexi...more
Published August 1st 1984 by Shearer Pub (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is a Wild Assault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is a Wild Assault

Melissa
A museum book club choice, so a re-read for me.
One of those classic woman/frontier/men (mostly no-good) epic novels. But a few things make this one special: it's based on the memoirs of Harriet Potter Ames (the main character) and is packed with plenty of scholarly research. So though it's definitely fictionalized history, it's also not exactly made-up. And when you consider her story, that's a pretty amazing thing. Parts of it will hit you straight in the gut.
My only issues with this book are s...more
Dawn
Of course, being a Texan myself, I had to read the story of Harriet Moore and her struggles in the new Texas Republic. I really enjoyed this book and had a great admiration for Harriet throughout the years as she fell prey to some ruthless, selfish men and kept her wits about her in order to stay alive and nurture her children as best she could. This is a true historical novel, based on the memoirs Harriet left her granddaughter, Tricky, describing in detail the ordeals she overcame to make it t...more
Rebecca
I finished this book last week, and I still can’t quite put my finger on why I was a little disappointed with it. I think it might be in part because it received such high praise from other readers, yet I didn’t walk away feeling wowed as I have with some other books recently. As I live in the area, I definitely appreciated the fascinating look into east Texas/west Louisiana history. And the fact that it is the true story of Harriet Moore, much of which is told in her own words from her memoirs...more
Debbie
Jul 24, 2008 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history lovers, biography lovers, young adults and up
Recommended to Debbie by: my friend Stacie
If you want a fascinating story to read, this is the one. Mel Gibson must produce this onto the big screen. Elithe Kirkland did a magnificent job bringing this simple woman's life into my bank of favorite Texas stories.
The life of Harriet Page Potter Ames is masterfully written and told from Harriet's perspective to her favorite great-granddaughter. Harriet's narration began in Nashville where, as a teenager, she assisted her father in his medical practice. An injured man, Solomon Page, was trea...more
Wendy
Loved this book and learned so much Texas history!
Julianne Riddle
This book has become one of my all-time favorites. Kirkland is a gifted writer, and she weaves an epic story that will stay with me forever. This book is historical fiction, and the story is full of romance, suspense and characters that you fall in love with. Harriett Potter, the main character, is a strong, admirable woman. The tale covers her adventures with several men and the 13+ children she has along the way. I look forward to reading more novels by Kirkland in the future.
Teresia
If you have not read this you MUST read it! Especiallly if you're from Texas. The true story of early Texas; the women who were left alone in backwoods while their husbands fought for Texas Independence; and the trials of settling an early state. You will fall in love with the real life heroine, Harriet (sorry, can't remember last name). Much of this story takes place in East Texas.
Darla Lomax
Rarely do I read a book twice - but this one makes my 'more than once' list! This one started my fascination with Texas history. I have visited the East Texas setting of this book and even saw a one woman play based on this book. The trials and struggles of the modern woman are quickly put in perspective after reading about this woman's life.
Pattie Harakal
I never expected to enjoy this book. In fact, I was not especially happy when it was chosen at our book club meeting to read next. I fully expected to have to spend hours painfully slogging through...I was wrong. Great story, interesting strong female lead. Truly believable! I enjoyed every moment.
Susan
Sep 18, 2010 Susan added it
Was assigned this book as required reading before a trip to Shreveport, Louisiana and East Texas with my Mom and sisters. I couldn't put this book down, mostly because it is based on the memoirs of the heroine in the book. Wanted to know what would happen next to her! Great book, fast read!
Jackie Lesch
Feb 11, 2009 Jackie Lesch rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jackie by: Bethany Grubb, Jan Reimers
A captivating story of love, loss, and life full of heartache and loneliness. Written from her own memoirs, this is a true story of a brave Texas woman's fight for survival in the 1800s. Woven into the pages of this dramatic tale is an even more fascinating rendition of Texas history.
Elorra
I first read this book about 20 years ago when I was too young to fully appreciate it. I have read it again and I cannot say enough good things about it. It is a wonderful historical fiction that takes place mostly in Texas. It is a must read.
Meagan
The writing style is a bit over-the-top at times--super dramatic in a slightly annoying way. However, the characters were really interesting, and I loved that it's based on a true story. I was able to learn about the history of Texas :)
Kendra
Since I enjoyed the These is My Words so much, Jana recommended this book about another frontier lady. She said that although the title is horrid (and it is), she liked it better than These is My Words. I'll be sure and let you know.
Sally Blanton
I would like to hear from those who have read this. I read
it years ago and it left quite an indelible impression on me.
I never hear anything about this book and always thought it would
be a fabulous movie or an Oprah pick.
Susan
To have read this book when I was younger, and then to have lived in Texas where this story took place, could be why I have never been able to give this book away. A great account of perseverance and the Texas frontier!
Lisa Maxwell
If you are from Texas, you should read this book. If you are female, you should read this book. It's a tale of a woman living a scandalous, dangerous life in frontier Texas. Fascinating and fun.
Trisha
I really wasn't too sure if I would like this book when I started it, but it is one of my favorites and was hard to put down! And now I have a new genre of books I enjoy as well.
Elizabeth
This is one of my favorite books ever! It is historical fiction taking place in Texas and Louisiana. It is a woman's story of love and survival in the early 1800's (I think).
Chrys
My grandmother loved this book. It was based on actual memoirs and is factually accurate. The history teacher in me loved this story of a pioneer woman in early Texas.
Christy Marro
I loved this book! It is the extraordinary story of Harriet Potter who became a legend during the beginning of the battle for Texan independence. Definately a good read!
Amy Chamberlain
Like "Hill Country," this book is told through in the perspective of a woman settling in Texas, who was tough as nails and suffered men who got all the glory.
Jamie
This was an unexpected delight. Not something I would have chosen without friends' recommendations. Enjoyed learning about Texas history.
Dee
My second time to read this. Wow! Making a good choice in husbands is so important! She was quite a woman to manage the way she did.
Lorrie Miller
I loved 80% of this book would have liked more information on how Harriett Potter ended up with her last husband in New Orleans.
Kristen Svajda
Definitely in my top 5 books of all time! I am an avid history lover. And this book is so rich in history and more!
Rachel
An interesting historical fiction about the Texas Republic. I enjoyed it for the historical aspects.
Emily
Could not put this down. It's a great true story and fascinating look into what it was like to settle Texas.
Sue
Mar 15, 2008 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Based on an actual woman, this is an interesting account life in Texas during the 19th century.
Krissy
historical fiction about the texas frontier. think laura ingalls wilder all grown up on steroids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »