War of the Copper Kings

War of the Copper Kings

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This is the jaw-dropping "real" story of the legendary corruption and bribery in the years of the copper mines in Butte, Montana, the richest hill on earth.
Published September 1st 2002 by Western History Publications

To ask other readers questions about War of the Copper Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War of the Copper Kings

Mary Chambers
I read The War of the Copper Kings while visiting my oldest grandson in Butte, Montana. We toured all the historic spots and did plenty of shopping too. This book was an excellent read. It was not only very interesting, but gave me a good grasp on the local history. I'll keep it as a souvenir.
Tim
Nice story on Montana history, the riches found in Butte, the competition for the placement of the capitol of the state (Helena won out over Anaconda), why unions were especially needed in the early days of capitalism, and how Wall Street plays (certainly then, and hopefully ... not so much now) a totally different game than the average person is aware of.

What else? Learn about veins of ore, mining claims, geology, how copper surpassed silver in the real value of Montana mines; smelters - what a...more
CJ
True to life 'Game of Thrones' in Montana: Daly, Clark, Heinze, and Standard Oil fight for control of "the Richest Hill on Earth" in the late 19th and early 20th century.
Mohamed
An interesting time period covered but the writing is dry and repetitive. This seems like a poorly written masters thesis fleshed out to a full book.
Sherri
I wish all history books could be as interesting as this one.
Marlis
Marlis marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Marke
Marke added it
Nov 14, 2013
Michael Jones
Michael Jones marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Mark Blackmore
Mark Blackmore marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Keturah
Keturah marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013