Start by marking “The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)

The Hunter (The Forbidden Game #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  3,766 ratings  ·  213 reviews
When Jenny Thorton and her friends open the mysterious white box given to her by Julian, they discover a mysterious game and enter a house of horrors full of their worst nightmares.
Published May 19th 1995 by Scholastic (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunter

Krystal
Nov 09, 2008 Krystal rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Becky, Vanessa, Dawn, Jenn
Shelves: more-than-once
To anyone who has ever loved Labyrinth, you would think this novel somehow tells the history of The Goblin King. Well, there is no actual tie-in to Labyrinth except the one I make in my mind.

Jenny only wanted to get a game for her boyfriend's party she was throwing that night. She ducks into a store in the sketchy side of town and impulsively buys a plain white glossy box--without knowing what's in it--from a handsome man in the store. Boyfriend who?

She gets home and realizes how stupid her deci
Emily May
Julian is one of the sexiest characters in the whole of literature, seriously. Even if the story hadn't been a wonderful and gripping adventure with an array of colourful and interesting characters, it would still have been worth the read for Julian. But that aside, the book was wonderful, as soon as I finished it I instantly picked up the sequal. What a great and original story, a bit scary in parts but always entertaining - I couldn't put it down.
notyourmonkey
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Jenny is just looking for a party game when she comes across a strange store, and a gorgeous boy who wants to sell her exactly what she wants.
What is the game that Julian sells her? And will Jenny and her friends make it to the end alive?

I haven’t read this book for years, but thankfully it was as good as I remembered.

I liked Jenny although she did irritate me a bit at times. As fearless as she was in some respects, she was a bit of a pushover when
Carla
Aug 11, 2008 Carla rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LJ Smith fans, horror fans, teen fiction readers, faery tale lovers
What teenager hasn't dreamt of being taken away by David Bowie? Not too shabby, I say. Even if he is a demony creature from Beyond!
It's pulp. Pseudo Sexual horror romance for teens. I was compelled to finish the series by my libido, plus the spooky bits aren't bad at all.
First book I read as a kid that had words I didn't recognize, too, like laconic.
The description of the things the kids are afraid of, sticks with me the most--especially the one of the Black Forrest. Fairly creepy.
Megan
Book 1 of 3. The Forbidden Game trilogy. Very good. Middle school level reading. However, has many classic themes that all ages will enjoy. Find, read, and re-read! (put on keeper shelf!)

The first book in the trilogy which introduces Jenny and group (her boyfriend Tom, her cousin Zach, her friends Audrey, Michael, (who are dating each other) and Dee) to the Shadow Man- Julian who has fallen in love with Jenny and won’t rest until she is his. Jenny buys The Game from Julian (unbeknownst to her at
B u n n y ♥  | BooksWithBunny
Avevo comprato questo libro a gennaio e non l'avevo ancora toccato quindi mi sembrava doveroso smaltirlo, arrivata a maggio inoltrato.
Non ho un'alta opinione dell'autrice; ho letto Vampire Diaries sino all'ottavo volume a quanto ricordo (o qualcosa di simile) e mi sono volutamente spoiilerata i rimanenti libri per concludere la serie.

La Casa degli Orrori ha lo stesso stile dei libri del Diario del Vampiro: la narrazione è banale, i personaggi, anche quelli principali, sono poco caratterizzati e
Abbie
It's been 5 years since i read this series, and i still love it!

Some of the nightmares were really creepy. I would have had nightmares for life if i took part in them!

The characters were really good. Jenny was really brave and clever. There is no way that i would be able to work that riddle out so quickly!

Julian was creepy and very sneaky, but i couldn't help but love him.
I'd lose a good hour in the games if Julian appeared - I wouldn't be able to stop staring at his blue eyes!

I'm really lo
Keertana
I think it would be an understatement to say that I am impressed by L.J. Smith. Smith's name is one that is familiar to nearly everyone, if not for anything else then for her widely popular Vampire Diaries Series. I was more than a little nervous going into The Forbidden Game though, merely because I wanted to like her just as much as everyone else did. I wanted to fall in love with her characters and her world and I can assure you, there are very few authors who I really want to love. I a ...more
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 Sakura Koneko rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the supernatural
Shelves: favorites
Having gained an interest in L.J. Smith as an author after reading the Vampire Diaries series, I decided to pick up this series of books (it also helped that there was a complete hottie on the cover... come on, I was 13 at the time).

I was thrilled through the entire book by the actions of the antagonist Julian as he tried to woo Jenny in the most outrageous ways possible. While it did seem wrong of him to put her friends in danger in the process, it was still very exciting.
Bibek Thapa
I didn't like The Vampire Diaries that much. After reading the first four books in the series, I kinda gave up on the author. Good thing I decided to change that and read this book. The Hunter is a really good book filled with suspense, paranormal beings and race-against-time action. I really enjoyed it. So glad to have started my New Year with a wonderful book. :)
Tinae Goodell
I LOVED this book from the beginnig I couldn't put it down! Just loved it and it was suspenseful the whole time. I just have to keep reading the series. I am hooked. This is my favorite of L.J. Smith's thus far. I want to see it put in a movie. It would be an awesome movie!
Auntie J
The premise for this story is really interesting. The execution of it however I found very bland. This left me very underwhelmed.

The villain isn't sexy or attractive, in my opinion. Just another, sadly typical, jerk who confuses desire to possess and control with "love".

The other characters seemed fairly flat and one dimensional to me. The story should have been suspenseful and even perhaps scary, but really wasn't. The situation certainly is one that should be suspenseful and scary, but the wri
Tabby
Ugh I just did not like this book,I don't even want to continue to the next. Even though the premise was good;the book was not. I read this because alot of people compared it to The Labyrinth but even the similarities didn't make me like it. Most of the problems I had was with the main character she just annoyed me.I ended up not liking her or her boyfriend who she obsessed over way too much.

Not gonna lie I was totally rooting for Julian;I liked him way more then I liked anyone else. I think I
Brit
To me, this book was really good because I'm into all the nineties and eighties stuff...And it was just original...Something I hadn't read before so it became a book I couldn't put down until I finished the series. When I read it I was about fifteen but reading each chapter, I grew more and more compelled with Julian. He turned out to be my favorite character through out the series. The only thing that bugged me about this book was how needy Jenny was of Tom, no matter if there were childhood sw ...more
Jessica
This is one of the books that absolutely fascinated me as a kid (and undoubtedly contributed to my obsession with the Byronic hero/ine). Some of it's kind of over the top, but the way L.J. Smith weaves together mythology, fairy tales, fantasy, and good old-fashioned sexy teenage angst makes for a great story. I'm still pretty attached to the series, and I read it from time to time. I get all worked up in the same places every single time.
Bobby
David Bowie! That's why I like Julian so much! I had forgotten who he reminded me of. I haven't read this book in a while, but it was one of my favourite early teenage books and I think it may be one that stands the test of time, because it doesn't focus too much on the romance, and the actual plot is quite inriguing. Plus, I love me some Julian :D
Swati
Not exactly a mature book

I must admit this book was a surprise discovery. I have read L. J Smith’s work before and did not like it at all. The book in question was “Vampire Diaries” (though the show is excellent and so different from the book) and then even “The Secret Circle” was a big disappointment. After two disappointing reads, I had reached a decision never to touch anything by L.J Smith ever again.

However, one day when I found myself with nothing to read and so in order to pass my time

Anna
Good premise, mediocre book with one-dimensional characters. The main character, Jenny, has no personality except for how other people keep saying she is a wonderful person (spoiler: it never shows.) Oh, and someone dies and the group's reaction is basically "noooo... what are we going to tell their parents?".
Also, I honestly thought Tom was going to turn out evil and that he had Jenny under an enchantment. But no, she was just that in love (read: insecure, needy, disturbingly dependent on her b
Connie
The Hunter by L.J. Smith is the story of Jenny and her friends playing a game. Not like a normal game such as monopoly, something darker, more sinister, where all their nightmares come to life. Jenny has to help get all her friend's to the end before the Shadow Man traps them there forever.

I liked this book a lot more than I had expected to, the story line was really good, like a darker version of Jumanji really. Everything came to life. The only bad thing about this book, and the only reason it
Alyssa
Aug 26, 2011 Alyssa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: younger teens, a quick read
The basic storyline isn't original, I could've sworn I've read or watched something similar about a bunch of teenagers mucking with a board game that became a reality where they each have to face and conquer their biggest nightmare to escape. This book, however, is very exciting to read, at times spooky and very fast paced. The characters are well fleshed out and throughout the book I'm not sure who I should be rooting for - Julian, the dark and sexy villain, or Tom, the sweet, high school sweet ...more
VJ
Amazing story, intriguing plot. The creep factor was really good and the pace was fast and exciting.

There were a few things I didn't like about the characters though. Sure, L.J.Smith has done a far better job than a lot of authors from the same genre, but there was lot more of "telling" in this story than "showing". For example, it was repeatedly mentioned that the main-character Jenny was "too-good", "light to my darkness", "good girl" - but all that was just telling. In fact, at times the book
Tessa
This is something like Harry Potter (and no, I think HP is better in more than 1 way) but for me both books came too late in life. If I would have read this before high-school I probably would have enjoyed it immensely. It's a nice story about a group of friends playing a forbidden game. I would have been young enough to not notice or care the: simplistic writing, lack of proper description, lack of character development, solid plot etc. But, since I'm not 12 anymore I couldn't overlook all that ...more
Brittany Hadden
Wow this was exactly like watching a horror movie. Only just reading it. I was like freaking out during the whole book. I was like No don't do that, and don't open that door, and what i probably thought the most is... Are they stupid? That ending! You don't know what's gonna happen! Are they gonna go into the game!?? Are they going to release Julian? We don't know! Gosh, this book was good... and yeah.
Morgan
I LOVED this book when I was a preteen. It was one of the first semi-sexually charged lit I read. I remember dreaming about Julian. The name of the characters and books and series had totally fallen from my mind until this very moment. And I feel like I'm 12 again, giddy and hidden away in my bedroom's beanbag during some endless summer break from school. Wow.
Stacie
I loved, loved, loved this series when I was in my early teens! I really hope this is made into a TV series at some point. I remember absolutely loving and wanting to be Jenny back then, but reading this now I find she isn't really that interesting of a character. When I first read (or more accurately, devoured!) this in the early nineties I remembered the romance between Jenny and Julian as being WAY more intense and passionate. Reading this as an adult their relationship seemed pretty tame but ...more
Claire Gamblin
When I read this in 2009/2010 I didn't mind it, but I have the version that has all three of the books in and I just couldn't bring myself to read the second book. I am planning to try and read all three again sometimes soon though. Let's hope I like it better the second time around. (I'm feeling doubtful, but I'm determined to finish.)
Aubin
I love LJ Smith as an author. This book is about a group of teens being forced to face their darkest nightmares. It was unnerving for me at the begining and made the hair at the back of my neck stand up. It was nothing like her other books, this one was more mystery and horror than anything.
Merril Anil
the book is definitely a good and easy read with a nice little theme for the book that is enough to keep you on your toes except for its end.

For detailed review of this book visit:
Jessica
I just re-read this trilogy for the first time since I was a teenager, and I have to say I'm just as sucked into the story as I was back then. L. J. Smith has such a way of bringing you in with the characters and making them come to life.
  • The Red Dice (The Last Vampire, #3)
  • Silent Stalker
  • Crimson Night (Crimison, #2)
  • The Yearbook
  • Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3)
  • Heart of the Hunter (Fear Street Sagas, #9)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9) Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6) Origins (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #1) Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)

“I fell in love with you. I didn't do it on purpose” 480 likes
“I have never been in love before," Julian said. "You're my first-and you'll be my only.” 213 likes