Start by marking “The Truth and Other Lies” as Want to Read:
The Truth and Other Lies

The Truth and Other Lies

3.51  ·  Rating Details ·  2,926 Ratings  ·  632 Reviews
Dark, witty, and suspenseful, this literary crime thriller reminiscent of The Dinner and The Silent Wife follows a famous author whose wife—the brains behind his success—meets an untimely death, leaving him to deal with the consequences.
“Evil is a matter of opinion…”

On the surface, Henry Hayden seems like someone you could like, or even admire. A famous bestselling author
Published June 23rd 2015 by Atria Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth and Other Lies, please sign up.

Mathew Englander
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Linda O'Donnell F.
What a really, really clever book! I've been fortunate to have picked up some good reads lately, but this one certainly is at the top of the list. The book is masterfully written by Sascha Arango who puts forth an intelligent read. We all know the disappointment with the canned writing of some authors in which you have everything figured out by the first few pages. Arango sets out landmines and you wait with bated breath as to how the main character will sidestep his certain demise.

The Truth an
Diane S ☔
Jun 26, 2015 Diane S ☔ rated it liked it
3.5 Seems lately I have read a number of books where I thoroughly disliked the main character but found the book fascinating nonetheless.
Henry is a made up person, he is someone who reinvents himself whenever necessary. A trauma suffered when he was young sent him on to the path of self preservation at any cost. But who is he really?

A good dark read of missing people, finding out what is true or not and trying to figure out what is real or not. Some good writing, some likable and some unlikable
Dana ****Reads Alot****
May 20, 2015 Dana ****Reads Alot**** rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I cannot even do a proper review without giving anything away!!This story has to be my all time favorite this year. This in my opinion ONLY blows Gone Girl to the curb. So many love triangles, curves and twists. Henry was the all time manipulator but Karma comes in. This book wont disappoint you if you love pyschological/murder mysteries.LOVED IT!!!!! Thank you Net Galley for allowing me to read this awesome book.
Esil
Jun 05, 2015 Esil rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3 1/2 stars. The Truth and Other Lies gets you quickly into the thick of the plot. Henry -- from who's point of view most of the book is narrated -- is known to the world as a famous writer but in reality his wife Martha has been writing all his books. And this is only one of Henry's dark secrets. I can't say much more about the plot without giving away spoilers, but here is my reaction to the book: It was clever but not entirely original. It had good twists but sometimes it meandered. Henry is ...more
Carol
Feb 13, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: e-audible
***3.5 Stars*** A good psychological thriller. Henry Hayden was not quite as captivating as Oliver Ryan, the dark and devious narrator of well-written Unravelling Oliver, one of my favorite suspense novels. Both men were compelling yet shared borderline sociopathic tendencies. Unraveling Oliver was impossible to put down while this story started out great but didn't offer a great deal of resolution in the end.
Karin
Oct 13, 2016 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with this book in the beginning but am glad I stayed with it! Scary to think there are people out there like that...
Marianne
Apr 21, 2015 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The belief in human goodness is a prejudice hard to refute. Wouldn’t it be more sensible, Henry wondered, …..to believe in the self-evident badness of human beings? In his case, for instance, sporadic acts of goodness….were nothing but brief interruptions to his innate wickedness”

The Truth and Other Lies is the first novel by German playwright, Sascha Arango. Henry Hayden is a best-selling author of crime novels, happily married to Martha (even if he also sleeps with his editor, Betty), generou
Dianne
May 31, 2015 Dianne rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Atria Books for an advance reader copy of this book.

"The Truth and Other Lies" is a twisty thriller about a famous author, Henry Hayden, who is living a lie - the books he passes off as his own are written by his wife. He is having a barely-concealed affair with his editor, Betty, who is now pregnant with his child. Henry considers leaving his wife for Betty but decides he really doesn't like Betty very much, so he comes up with a plan to extricate himself from his situat
Lindsey Lynn
Jul 27, 2016 Lindsey Lynn rated it liked it
2.5/5 Stars

I received this book from a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway!

This book, though it was short, took me far too long to get into. I had trouble with the characters, I was just frustrated with all of them. The plot was predictable for me personally. I liked the writing style, it flowed well and thoughtfully. However this book was just a little predictable and not semi forgetful. If you like thrillers I suggest giving it a try, if you're not in the mood for a thriller though, hold off until
Fictionophile
“The truth and other lies” was a novel strong on characterization and filled with delightful imagery. Sascha Arango, a German television writer, has written a page-turner of a novel that entertains with dark humor and deviousness. The novel is the winner of the Prix Européen du Polar du Point, France, 2015. I’m sure this is only the beginning of it’s literary success!

For my complete review see my blog, Fictionophile
Jill
Jun 11, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
When a novel has as many twists and turns as this one, less is more.

As a result, I will not reveal anything that is not on the book jacket. And that’s this: suppose you are a bestselling author named Henry whose entire life is a lie…and your wife is the only one who knows it. And now suppose your lover reveals to you that she’s pregnant with your child. Further suppose that a childhood nemesis is hot on your trail.

It’s the makings of a compelling read. For those who enjoyed Herman Koch’s The Di
Dorie
Nov 27, 2015 Dorie rated it it was amazing
What a ride! This impeccably crafted thriller that centers around a main character who is the scariest and most abhorrent type of person, an inherently evil man with a completely charming, witty, friendly persona.
Henry Hayden has become a local hero of sorts, having written a series of best selling novels. However it is his wife, who writes throughout most nights who is the author of these stories. She wants no fame and Henry thrives on it. Things go well for Henry as he enjoys all the things t
Dale Harcombe
This is probably not a book I would normally read but I was sent it by the publisher. So, thanks to Text Publishing for extending my reading. I found this to be a clever but rather strange book. To begin with I was interested in the characters, although I never ever saw Henry as the back cover blurb says as ‘a delightful person to have around.’ It is obvious from very early on that there is something dark and manipulative about him. Just the fact that he could take credit for the novels his wife ...more
Linda Strong
May 14, 2015 Linda Strong rated it really liked it
Henry is a man without a past.. at least not one he's willing to talk about. And it wouldn't matter anyway ... his truth may not be the whole truth. He's married to a woman who seems to love him unconditionally. Henry is a well-known author, but it's his wife who actually writes the books. Henry is a man other men aspire to be and the man that many women seem to be drawn to. One mistake .. that's all it took.. one mistake and the building blocks come tumbling down.

I am torn between liking and no
Tooter
Oct 19, 2015 Tooter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
Bettie☯
BABT

Description: In 'Reading Europe', Radio 4 continues its journey across Europe exploring the best in contemporary literature with this hugely successful German thriller set on a small cliff-top town in which everyone has a secret.

Famous novelist, with a beautiful wife, grand house in the country and more money than he can spend - Henry Hayden has it all. Or so it seems. His perfect life rests on one carefully constructed lie, a lie he will stop at noth
Jeanette
Jul 28, 2015 Jeanette rated it liked it
Contrary to my latest fiction reading trend, this one starts out off-putting in the beginning and yet yields a decent whole. As opposed to the numerous great starts that flatten out to insipid or nothing.

It's not the typical psychological thriller who-dun-it, although like most current moderns the characters are all beyond flawed, or hold heavy handed self serving motives, intrinsically amoral. The story centers around Henry, his thoughts, his choices, his acts.

It left me questioning some aspec
switterbug (Betsey)
Jun 16, 2015 switterbug (Betsey) rated it really liked it
Henry Hayden, blockbuster German novelist, lives a luxury life of lies. His past is sealed as tight as a drum, and he doesn’t share it with anyone. His wife, Martha, seems like a woman out of the 50’s—she takes care of all of Henry’s needs and doesn’t ever complain. On the other hand, his mistress, who is pregnant, is vocal and demanding. Soon, he makes some bad decisions, and his past is about to ram head-first into his present, and destroy his future. Henry has to work swiftly in order to keep ...more
George
Jul 17, 2016 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Το πέτυχα χθες στο Μοναστηράκι σε άριστη κατάσταση και σε εξαιρετική τιμή και το τσίμπησα, χωρίς να το σκεφτώ ιδιαίτερα. Ε, και είπα να το αρχίσω άμεσα. Καλούτσικο ψυχολογικό θρίλερ, ευκολοδιάβαστο και σχετικά ενδιαφέρον, έφυγε μέσα σ'ένα διήμερο. Απλά δεν νομίζω ότι ξεχωρίζει ιδιαίτερα από τα υπόλοιπα ψυχολογικά θρίλερ που μας έχουν κατακλείσει τον τελευταίο καιρό.

Ο Χένρι Χέιντεν, πρωταγωνιστής της ιστορίας, έχει μια κατά τα φαινόμενα ευτυχισμένη και τέλεια ζωή, όντας επιτυχημένος συγγραφέας κ
Marvin
Jun 01, 2015 Marvin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense

Henry Hayden is a bestselling author but he did not write any of his novels. His wife Martha did and she is fine with her husband taking the credit. However when Henry finds out his affair with Betty has resulted in her pregnancy, he becomes concerned that everything he built with his wife will come
César
Oct 04, 2016 César rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
O autor é um escritor de guiões e isso nota-se no livro que é quase um guião. Competente, com ótimo ritmo e boa dose de reviravoltas. Não é grande literatura mas é um bom "polar". 3,5*
Karen
Jun 13, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, fiction
The title doesn’t seem to make sense, but The Truth and Other Lies is perfect for this book. This book was a total mess, but in all the right ways. The characters in this book were seriously twisted. So I really enjoyed this story and read the whole thing in one day.

Henry is a bad man. To the outside world, he seems like the story of success. His books are all best sellers and he is well respected. No one knows that his wife is the real author, he is just the name. They are happily married and l
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Ο Sascha Arango είναι ένας από τους πλέον επιτυχημένους και αναγνωρισμένους σεναριογράφους της Γερμανίας. Φυσικό επόμενο ήταν, λοιπόν, το λογοτεχνικό του ντεμπούτο να προκαλέσει αίσθηση, αλλά και να οδηγήσει μεγάλη μερίδα του γερμανόφωνου κοινού στο να σπεύσει ν' αγοράσει το βιβλίο του. Οι εκδόσεις Ψυχογιός, τώρα, έχοντας κάνει στροφή τον τελευταίο χρόνο, εντάσσοντας αρκετά βιβλία που υπάγονται στην κατηγορία των ψυχολογικών θρίλερ στο εκδοτικό τους πρόγραμμα, επέλεξαν το έργο του Arango ...more
Stephanie  G
Jun 23, 2015 Stephanie G rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Henry Hayden is a best selling novelist whose life changes when he discovers his mistress, Betty, is preggers. He is between wanting Betty dead and wanting to tell his wife the truth. Martha and Henry have taken care of one another for years, and after trying to tell Martha, his wife, the truth he decides he has a better idea. Only his idea goes array when Martha goes missing and Betty turns up knocking on his door.

The Truth and Other Lies is a novel by the German playwright and now nov
Melissa
Jul 10, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, suspense
To keep a secret, you should never lose concentration; tell nobody and never forget.

From the very first page, the author sets up a story riddled with complications, betrayal and deceit. And he delivered for the most part. The unexpected twists were enough to keep me interested, even with characters I never really grew to like and writing that I didn’t immediately connect with.

Henry is a best-selling author at the height of his career. He’s rich, famous and well-liked in the small town where he
Michael
Apr 11, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Henry Hayden is the bestselling author who should be the luckiest man on earth. However his reality is not what he imagined knowing that he is keeping a deep secret from his wife Martha. The secret could possibly ruin his entire marriage, but he will like to believe that as long as his secret is safe with his mistress than the better they all are. The only problem is that he has more lies than what he is willing to reveal, needless to say that his 'happy home' is about to blow up in smokes.

Marth
Tara
Dec 28, 2015 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
OH! So many thoughts! I want to tell you everything! You probably haven't read this yet, so I won't. I can guarantee that it will wrap you up from the very beginning; expect to stay tied to your chair for awhile, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

Just think about this: Henry is a famous (like recognized on the street famous) author and readers discover very early on that Henry is not the author of these blockbuster novels. Henry's long time publisher thinks Henry is a genius; his editor
Barbara
Aug 27, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
THE TRUTH AND OTHER LIES is an impressive first novel for German screenplay writer Sascha Arango. Henry Hayden is the main character with a secret past, odd marriage, and successful career. He’s a famous bestselling author who is incapable of penning a full sentence. His wife, who is almost invisible in the novel, is the true author. Henry loves the limelight while his wife wants to keep a quiet existence.

Two women go missing and Henry becomes the link. Sascha’s talent shines in misdirection. Th
Maxine
Aug 01, 2015 Maxine rated it really liked it
Henry Haydon is a best-selling author. He lives in an expensive house, drives an expensive car, and has a beautiful mistress. To use an old cliché: men want to be him and women want to sleep with him. Thing is though it’s all a lie. The books are actually written by his wife who has always wished to remain anonymous and is happy to let him get all the credit and the adulation.

But then things start going terribly wrong and Henry is forced to take more and more drastic steps to protect himself be
Text Publishing
Well, there's no surprise that I think this book is a cracking read from start to finish, but I'll leave it to the actual reviewers to work that out.

It's so good that we've made book club notes! Exciting times — just in case Henry Hayden hits a chord.

I'll just leave them over here if anyone's a keen bean: https://www.textpublishing.com.au/boo...

Here are some reviews that agree with us:
‘One thing must be made absolutely clear: The Truth and Other Lies is, until further notice, this year’s best a
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Resurrection Bay (Caleb Zelic, #1)
  • Medea's Curse (Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist, #1)
  • Die Falle
  • The Stone Boy
  • Orient
  • Myths: Tales of the Greek and Roman Gods
  • The Girl Before
  • Woman of the Dead
  • Bubble
  • The Hidden Girl
  • The Red Hot Fix (Mort Grant, #2)
  • Unterleuten
  • Doctor Death
  • The Skeleton Garden: (Potting Shed Mystery, #4)
  • The Prophet (Shepherd #2)
  • A Good Killing (Anna Curtis, #4)
  • Silence
Sascha Arango is one of Germany’s most prominent screenplay writers and a two-time winner of the Grimme Prize, a prestigious award for German television, for his work on the long-running detective series Tatort. His first novel, The Truth and Other Lies, will be published in more than thirteen countries in 2015. He lives in Germany.
More about Sascha Arango...

“The liars among us will know that every lie must contain a certain amount of truth if it's to be convincing. A dash of truth is often enough, but it's indispensable, like the olive in the martini.” 12 likes
“Man is his own worst enemy; women's worst enemy is other women.” 6 likes