Start by marking “The Silent One” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The difficulties faced by a deaf boy, who is misunderstood by his village as just lazy, they don't know what deaf means. And a friend the boy finds in a strange white sea turtle.
Paperback
Published 1981 by Knopf (first published 1980)

Kit
Sep 24, 2012 Kit rated it liked it
Joy Cowley

This Fits into my Book written by a NewZealander Box,

I read this book because I needed a book to Put into this box, and I like turtles.

This is an unusual book about a boy named Jonasi, a gifted boy that makes a special relationship with a giant white turtle

fave quote- ''then perhaps your face will learn to smile again'' I liked this quote because it shows how some one can be down then slowly rebuild their confidence and become happy again.

I learnt that friendship comes in
Charlotte Avery
Feb 22, 2015 Charlotte Avery rated it liked it
Pretty good book is all I really can say.
Shazeli
Mar 07, 2016 Shazeli marked it as to-read
Shelves: the-silent-one
Jonasi is a caring and loving boy but he is never loved by anyone he is very independent and he is deaf and cannot speak he would always care about his surroundings and he would be the one who goes and fishes the fish so the villagers wont go hungry they would first curse the boy then stuff their mouthes with food like they don't care everyone thinks there is a demon inside jonasi that held its tounge so its true identity wont come out. Jonasi has no friends not even his brother dosent wwant him ...more
Shantaya
Jul 19, 2014 Shantaya rated it liked it
This book was beautifully written with great descriptions. Like other people have mentioned it's a good book to do if you need a new Zealand author one for wide reading at school. I read this book in Fiji and I felt it captured the tropical feeling there completely. The only part I didn't like was the ending, it was kind of random and it annoyed me.
Piper
Apr 21, 2015 Piper rated it liked it
This book was okay. A good tale about Friendship if your looking for one. Ending was a bit fast, and some patches are boring.
Elly Awesome
Sep 08, 2014 Elly Awesome rated it liked it
I found this book really boring. it had a weak story line and the main character was fustrating.
Patricia Taru
Apr 14, 2015 Patricia Taru rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
To Joy Cowley
what important ceremony took place yearly in this book Silent One
Lucydobbin
I did not enjoy this book because it was boring
David Marmillon
Aug 18, 2014 David Marmillon rated it liked it
One of the first books I ever read.
Zahra Hrstich
not very interesting.
Nathan Prasad
May 22, 2014 Nathan Prasad rated it it was amazing
A great and wonderful story
Alisha Feiloakitohi
Mar 26, 2014 Alisha Feiloakitohi rated it really liked it
Love this book and the movie
Runa
Oct 14, 2010 Runa rated it it was amazing
I read this book for Year 9 (Form 3) literature. This book is a great book for young teens and is beautifully written. The language used is very descriptive and a joy to read. While the story itself is not too different from other books written about young, islander adults, it stands out due to the beautiful language.
Robyn Davis
This story is about a deaf boy who befriended a sea turtle because no one would talk to him. It is a great read when discussing belonging and other cultures of the world, specifically Pacific Islanders.
Serha
May 30, 2012 Serha rated it really liked it
Sajja
Jun 13, 2015 Sajja added it
Shelves: want-to-read-it
I didn't get to read it because I want to read it on this website today
Rachel (Sfogs)
Apr 25, 2009 Rachel (Sfogs) rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I read this at primary school and I really liked the turtle!
Ct
Jul 14, 2011 Ct rated it liked it
a bit boring
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Tee Timote
Tee Timote marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Sterkool
Sterkool marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Sujan
Sujan rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Rosie McDonald
Rosie McDonald rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Kiesha Kulupa
Kiesha Kulupa rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Siham
Siham is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2016
Sokphary
Sokphary rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2016
Abdullahi
Abdullahi marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Samantha Jordan
Samantha Jordan rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
  • Rocco
  • The Priests of Ferris (The O Trilogy, #2)
  • Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack
  • Bubble Trouble
  • Tom
  • Clown
  • A Is for Musk Ox
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • Big Frog Can't Fit In: A pop out book
  • The Quiet Place
  • The Lemonade Club
  • Michael Rosen's Sad Book
  • Spells
Joy Cowley, a fiction writer for children and adults, was born in Levin and educated at Palmerston North GHS and Pharmacy College. She has been published so widely and to such acclaim that she received a Commemoration Medal in 1990, the OBE in 1992 for her services to children’s literature, the Margaret Mahy Award Lecture in 1993 and an honorary doctorate from Massey University in 1993. In 2004, s ...more
More about Joy Cowley...