Start by marking “TimeStorm” as Want to Read:
TimeStorm

TimeStorm

In 1795 a convict ship leaves England for New South Wales in Australia. Nearing its destination, the vessel miraculously survives a savage storm and limps into Sydney Harbour, where the convicts rebel and escape.

But the year is now 2017...

TimeStorm is a thrilling epic adventure story of revenge, survival and honour set in a strange new world of unfamiliar technology and eq
Published November 24th 2014 by Elsewhen Press (first published August 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about TimeStorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about TimeStorm

Finding the Rainbow by Rachel McGrathWith Angel's Wings by Stephanie A. CollinsThe Cinderella Princess by Melissa McCloneThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Cover Page
15th out of 190 books — 19 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger11/22/63 by Stephen KingOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsReplay by Ken Grimwood
The Best Time Travel Books of All Time
229th out of 451 books — 1,134 voters

More lists with this book...

Phrynne
Aug 18, 2015 Phrynne rated it liked it
Such a clever idea and I love time travel so this should have been the book for me. Somehow though it didn't quite do it for me. I think maybe it was just too many people who made the journey and it was too much for me to swallow. Or maybe the constant changing of POV when there was a positively charismatic main character to hand who could have carried the whole book on his own. I don't know. Anyway stars for the original idea and for the character of Blaney. A star too for the cover which I ...more
Brenda
Travelling across the oceans in 1795 from England to New South Wales, Australia, the convict ship Marlin was run by Captain Cross with Lieutenants Christopher (Kit) Blaney and Henry Kite as his deputies. Below decks, Rufus Redmond, a big brute of a man, was feared by all. Filthy, surly and desperate, Redmond in particular had a deep revenge in his heart – he would kill Cross if it was the last thing he did.

When the Marlin was nearing the New South Wales coast, they were struck by a ferocious sto
Carolyn
May 22, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this time travel adventure story set on a convict ship approaching New South Wales after a long journey in 1796. I love that the cover of the book looks like an old fashioned, albeit somewhat overblown painting from that era showing a full masted sailing ship being tossed on the high seas. It harks back to the swashbuckling adventures of of a C.S Forrester or Patrick O'Brien novel and sets the scene for the first part of the novel describing the journey and the characters of ...more
Veronica ⭐️
The HMS Marlin is nearing its long journey from England to New South Wales carrying a load of the most barbaric murderers and thieves, convicts, destined for a life of servitude. The trip has been harrowing, plagued with bad weather, and the crew had suffered great losses. On the horizon is yet another storm, this one looks more ominous than any they have encountered. As the storm surrounds them the ship is sucked into a whirlpool and the crew prepare to die – as they have lived – on the sea. ...more
Zoey
Jul 09, 2015 Zoey rated it really liked it
4.5

Won on Goodreads First Reads Giveaway

What a great story!!

I’m a bit of a fan of Time travel/slip novels, but this is quite different to what I normally read. Instead of one person slipping back in time to the past, this is a whole ship (crew & convicts) slipping forward to current day Sydney (Well 2017 so nearly current day) & I really enjoyed it.

The prologue (set in 2003) sucked me in & then it jumps back to 1795 where the story “begins”. Initially I wasn’t sure if it was going to
Adrian Deans
Oct 22, 2014 Adrian Deans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone loves a good time travel/time anomaly story. Thing is, they are fiendishly hard to write and to keep believable. Only a very skilled storyteller can create a plausible mingling of epochs and maintain the illusion over the course of a full length novel. Steve Harrison has that skill.

Time Storm is a really impressive debut that generates an authentic feeling milieu (1796 convict ship bound for Sydney) and somehow translates that milieu to 2017 Sydney without descending into farce. The cha
Steelwhisper
This was real fun!

I could start to criticise this or that, but what the heck? This was wonderful, fast fun which had me glued to the pages.
Ann Keller
TimeStorm is an amazing, thrilling adventure written by talented author, Steve Harrison. As a debut novel, this account stunned me. Long did I linger into the wee hours of the morning, unwilling to relinquish my hold upon its ivory pages.

This book is as raw and cutthroat as convict, Rufus Redmond, who manages to control a band of desperate criminals with a staggering combination of brute force, gut clenching fear and savage determination. It is as honorable, brave and daring as First Lieutenant
G.G.
Mar 20, 2016 G.G. rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I didn't know what to expect of this book. I love time travel stories but boats and convicts? I admit I had a bit of difficulty with the premises, yet I liked the way it was presented.

It may not be for everyone, as I know some people don't like switching 'heads', but I thought it was well done. Written in third person POV, each chapter is entitled the name of the characters we're following. While there were many characters POV, it still helped us get into their mind and understand
Roland Clarke
Jun 02, 2016 Roland Clarke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
As I read this enjoyable novel by Steve Harrison, I could feel that he is – as the blurb says – “A great fan of the grand seafaring adventure fiction of CS Forester, Patrick O'Brien and Alexander Kent.” That atmosphere is captured in the telling, without feeling over-researched.

The book was inspired by a replica 18th century sailing ship on Sydney Harbour and a question from Steve's brother, Tony: "What if that was a real convict ship?"

From that premise came this clever tale of the crew and ‘pa
Kathy
Jul 02, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I am a lover of historical, time-slip novels and this book was recommended through a facebook bookclub I am a part of that also love historical, time-slip novels! I was a little curious about this book because ALL of the time-slip books I have read go from current day back in time. TimeStorm is the other way round! In 1796 a convict ship is nearly to New South Wales when they encounter a whirlpool storm that hurls them into modern day Sydney! And I must say, Steve the author has done this ...more
Fiona Lansdown
Nov 27, 2014 Fiona Lansdown rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Tricky to rate this one as 1) (confession) it is written by a relative of my husband, and 2) throughout reading the book I found the awful cover so offputting that I was ashamed to read the book in public, and I think it set a low expectation! But, I did enjoy it. A romp through time, looking at what would happen if a convict ship arrived in Sydney Harbour today - well, in 2017. Needless to say there is chaos and mayhem, and a little romance. It took me a while to get into but by the end I ...more
Seregil of Rhiminee
Nov 23, 2014 Seregil of Rhiminee rated it really liked it
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Do you enjoy reading old-fashioned sea adventure novels? Are you interested in fast-paced action? Do you like time travel stories? Do you enjoy reading light entertainment? Or do you perhaps like all of these things? If you're looking for a novel that contains sea adventure, action, light entertainment and time travel elements, look no further - you've just found what you've been looking for.

Steve Harrison's TimeStorm is an entertaining combination of classic
Anthony Deeney
Jan 13, 2016 Anthony Deeney rated it really liked it
Timestorm was, for me, a very good read.
An 18th Century convict ship bound for Australia is caught in a dangerous storm, dragged into a whirlpool and pops out in modern day Australia.

The book is an enjoyable read about people out of their time and was well written and edited. I enjoyed the clash of personalities and cultures. The consequences of dumping a boat load of 18th Century convicts in Sydney today, was an interesting idea to follow and Steve Harrison has explored it well. The story flow
C.L. Moore
Feb 21, 2015 C.L. Moore rated it it was amazing
I was excited to start reading this uniquely Australian story. I loved to hate the villain and was cheering for the crew of the Marlin the whole time.
I couldn't imagine how they would feel finding themselves in modern Australia from the 18th century.
The Author has written this book from the view of each character and has done it with aplomb. I was a little sad it finished and this is one book I didn't want to end.
An awesome read
Katrina
Jul 27, 2015 Katrina rated it it was amazing
A really interesting premise and a well told story. Realistic treatment of naval life in the late 17th century plus the clash with the modern world. Echoes of Hornblower plus time travel - a very entertaining combination. The story is well written and progresses at a cracking pace. Characters Lieutenant Blaney and Rufus Redmond are particularly well-drawn. A memorable and very enjoyable read.
Julie Johnson
Nov 22, 2016 Julie Johnson rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this book, however, the language and the violence was over the top. Based on those two things, not sure I would recommend this book to others. Without those two issues, would have been a great read.
Stuart Macmartin
May 19, 2016 Stuart Macmartin rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a very entertaining book. The concept is fun. The action well paced. Many points of view, and the author deftly brings us into each viewpoint quickly and effectively. I particularly liked what wasn't there: that the author didn't fall into the trap of having some characters explain to other characters things they both know, or worse, think some things through that would be part of their everyday life, just for exposition.

I really wanted to give this 4 stars. For all the things I liked ab
Kathryn
Having recently finished Behind the Sun by Deborah Challinor - a novel about a cargo of convict women being transported to Australia, it was difficult not to make comparisons with this one. However, the comparison between the two books finished at around 20% through when the convict ship, the Marlin, entered 21st century Sydney.

It’s a clever idea and it was interesting to see modern-day Sydney (although most of the book is set about 8 months in the future of when I read it) through the eyes of t
Kira
TimeStorm is written in multiple viewpoints; so many I actually lost count. I didn't mind as you can see inside the minds of each of the characters and different reactions to the events that occurred following the arrival of the convict ship in modern day Sydney Harbour -- including modern characters that also encountered the convicts or the crew of the Marlin. A few viewpoints re-occurred more often than others. There is a clear "bad-guy" in convict Rufus Redmond and "hero" in Christopher "Kit" ...more
AL Whitehead
Feb 26, 2016 AL Whitehead rated it really liked it
This story is told at a brisk pace and rattles along nicely. The premise itself is very interesting and unusual and everything that follows fits perfectly with that premise, so that it is easy to suspend one's disbelief. Events play out exactly as one would expect them to, given the characters' situations and backgrounds. That's not to say that it's predictable, just that it's eminently believable. The device of having each chapter named after, and told from the point of view of, a different ...more
Anita
May 09, 2016 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This story engaged me from the first page to the last. It is intriguing, exciting and well written. I thought the fast-paced action kept up momentum right to the end and I enjoyed the short chapters written from the various characters' points of view.
I had to go back and re-read the beginning to fully appreciate the ending, but this only made the story more fascinating in my opinion.
The characters were well-developed. The dialogue remained appropriate to each time period; veering from colloquia
Angela
May 28, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
A great book! I love a time-slip/time travel story and this one was a little different to the usual style. This time the past comes to the present!
I loved the way people from the past could see modern times and their reaction to it.
And I also loved the ending and the twist in the story-line.
I have removed one star because I thought that the story drifted a little about 2/3rds of the way through, and maybe could have been sped up a bit, but all in all I liked the book very much.
Be aware though,
Jane
Mar 21, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was a book I received as a Goodreads giveaway and am so glad I did as I may not have otherwise come across it. It is a great tale mixing the convict era with modern day Sydney in a most unique way. The story develops along various lines with each chapter being written from the perspective of a different character. A thoroughly enjoyable read with the potential for a sequel.
Ken Harris
Jul 21, 2015 Ken Harris rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book although it took a little time to really move along. There is always something wonderful about "what ifs" and this one was a bit different than usual time travel adventures. I would love to know more about what happened after the end - maybe a sequel? Great job. Really got into the characters - again, after some time.
Carol
Jul 10, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
Loved the story - I bought the book on the strength of the blurb and it didn't disappoint (a LOT do!)

Excellent writing.. great characters (even the baddies) .. a bit sad at the ending.. Highly recommened!!
Mark Bierman
Aug 08, 2016 Mark Bierman rated it really liked it
This book had me intrigued from the very first chapter right to the end. Thoroughly enjoyed the fast paced tempo. This story has all the necessary ingredients of a great read!
Cebastian Rosing
Jul 07, 2015 Cebastian Rosing rated it really liked it
Exciting story, well written, and easy to read and follow. Not so much about timetravel, as much as the consequences thereof (in those periods). All in all a good book worth the read.
Nicola
Jun 21, 2015 Nicola rated it really liked it
Have to admit, not a bad story at all. However, I am still confused about the end of the book - the names and dates didn't match anything other information given and no explanation.
Gail Truax
Gail Truax rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
  • The Hush
  • Guinness World Records 2015
  • Deadland Rising (Deadland Saga, #3)
  • Timesurfers
  • Wild Wood
  • Gather the Bones
  • An Heir of Uncertainty
  • Fatal Liaison
  • The Arroyo
  • Family Secrets
  • Lifespan of Starlight
  • A Lady for Lord Randall (Brides of Waterloo, #1)
  • Nightingale
  • The Spy (Jed Walker, #1)
  • The Blue Mile
  • Aurora: Pegasus (Aurora, #2)
  • The Stones of Kaldaar (Song of the Swords, #1)
  • Only Ever Always
Steve Harrison was born in Yorkshire, England, grew up in Lancashire, migrated to New Zealand and eventually settled in Sydney, Australia, where he lives with his wife and daughter.

As he juggled careers in shipping, insurance, online gardening and the postal service, Steve wrote short stories, sports articles and a long running newspaper humour column called HARRISCOPE: a mix of ancient wisdom and
More about Steve Harrison...