Start by marking “Touching the Wire” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Touching the Wire

Librarian note: alternate cover edition ASIN - B00MX5TRPY

Part One - In the Shadow of the Wolf
In a death camp in 1940’s Poland, a young doctor and one of his nurses struggle to save lives. As their relationship blossoms, amid the death and deprivation, they join the camp resistance and, despite the danger of betrayal, he steals damning evidence of war-crimes. Afraid of rep
Published November 1st 2014 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Touching the Wire, please sign up.

Rebecca Bryn Hi Zara Jo. Sorry, I've only just seen your question. It was harrowing. There were times I had to walk away and feel clean air in my lungs and a free…moreHi Zara Jo. Sorry, I've only just seen your question. It was harrowing. There were times I had to walk away and feel clean air in my lungs and a free wind on my face. I knew much of what went on in death camps, but to read the stories of survivors, told in a matter of fact way, without bitterness, reduced me to tears. Photographs on websites such as The US Holocaust Memorial Museum and the Auschwitz Museum made me feel physically sick. It appalls me that any man can do these things to another. Sadly, it still happens in other theatres of war, and in more insidious ways through starvation and lack of personal freedoms. (less)

Michael Kroft
Mar 28, 2015 Michael Kroft rated it it was amazing
Once in a while I’ll read an indie novel and feel strongly that it was the author’s choice to independently publish, and Touching the Wire is one of those novels.

This very well written and well researched novel by Rebecca Bryn deals with the horrifying subject of the Jewish Holocaust as the background to the mystery and romance to come.

Told in two parts, the first masterfully jumps back and forth between an old man’s post war family and his shocking firsthand experiences within the most known a
Max Power
Feb 16, 2015 Max Power rated it it was amazing
The book opens with a quote from the great Irish writer orator and statesman Edmund Burke.. "triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"... and it is an apt opening to set the scene for this terrific book. I am hard to please sometimes, but here Rebecca has written a book that is so stylised, clearly well researched but most importantly a book that tells a ripping tale that I was engrossed in from start to finish.

A tale split in two from war torn Germany to present day, the way in which she sw
Stuart Murray
Oct 22, 2015 Stuart Murray rated it really liked it
The atrocities that went on in Auschwitz have been well documented, as has the horror of the capability of human beings toward one another. This book depicts the story of what was endured by those imprisoned in flashbacks from the perspective of a survivor of that concentration camp, and then from his granddaughter as she embarks on a quest to uncover his truth.

But it is the telling of the story, the writing and the characters created by the author that produce a work that is uniquely interestin
Deborah Mitton
Jan 21, 2015 Deborah Mitton rated it it was amazing
A beautiful - heartbreaking novel! This is the second novel of Rebecca I have read. There is no comparison between the two.

Touching the Wire is one of the best book I have read in my life. Be prepared to have your heart pulled out of your chest and stepped on. You mind and soul will be on a roller coaster ride of heartbreak and despair.

I think it was the descriptions Rebecca has given / you can picture so vividly in your mind and you know that many of the events really happened.

Ask yourself th
Diana Febry
Feb 14, 2015 Diana Febry rated it it was amazing
An exceptional book, with universal appeal.
A character driven book with elements of mystery and romance but at its heart, some quite controversial and thought provoking issues.
We meet Walt as a devoted grandfather, father and husband, suffering from horrendous nightmares and flash backs to his time in Auschwitz during WW11. We learn how Walt saved a young Jewish girl from the gas chambers, falls in love and secretly marries her. We hear of his efforts to save people within the camp and how he
Michelle
Sep 04, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
From a young age, I’ve always been fascinated by stories of the Holocaust, and this story is one of the best I’ve read in recent years.
There’s something deeply satisfying about immersing yourself and being caught up in the distinct rhythm of a good story. The world around you fades away and you don’t feel time passing. I actually finished the story in a day - starting late afternoon, taking a break at midnight and then finishing off the following morning.
It’s well-researched and deeply authent
Christoph Fischer
Mar 15, 2015 Christoph Fischer rated it it was amazing
"Touching the Wire" by Rebecca Bryn is a heavy and at times difficult read. The location is a death camp in Poland 1940 and the author spares us little to show the gruesomeness that is camp life. This is the strength of the first part. Much of the literature about the time glosses over and makes us shed a tear. Bryn is more truthful, yet then manages to weave in a love story between an inmate and a young doctor. Very powerful and impressive with lots to think about and reflect upon.
Then forward
Lesley Hayes
Mar 10, 2015 Lesley Hayes rated it it was amazing
It seems strange to say ‘I really loved this’ about a book that is at times so harrowing a read – but I did. It is beautifully written, as well as being a carefully constructed narrative that keeps the reader completely engaged through both the first and the second part of the book. I won’t reiterate the synopsis as it gives any potential reader enough of an idea of what the overall story is about. Instead, I’d like to focus on the effect of the book, and the masterly way in which the author ...more
Zara-jo Palmer
Nov 12, 2014 Zara-jo Palmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this book on pre-order cos I read The Silence of the Stones and loved it.

It's beautiful and horrible both at the same time and I'm not sure how Rebecca did that.

I've sent for two printed copies, one for me and one to pass round to friends - it's THAT good!

Saying anymore would spoil it for everybody but DON'T MISS IT - and have you looked at her website? There's a load of stuff on there from her NEXT book and it is SO different.

(Sorry I only just got round to writing this - I've been busy
Frank Parker
Oct 16, 2016 Frank Parker rated it it was amazing
I have read a great number of excellent books since the start of this year. Some I have reviewed and given five stars. Others, because they were written some while ago and/or by acclaimed writers, I did not feel qualified to comment publicly upon. None of them surpasses Touching The Wire: for the quality of the writing, the complexity of the plot, the depth of the characters. The subject matter is the unspeakable horrors perpetrated in central Europe between 1940 and 1945. The theme is forgivene ...more
Paul Ruddock
Nov 07, 2015 Paul Ruddock rated it it was amazing
There are many adjectives I could use in my review of this book: powerful, moving, emotional, heart-breaking, and heart-warming in places to name but a few. It would be easy to say this book is about the holocaust, but in truth that aspect of the book is more of a vehicle and backdrop to the real story - of courage, the struggle to survive against impossible odds, and later in the story, a search for the truth and long buried secrets of the past. The strength and emotion of the writing gives the ...more
Tom Benson
Dec 15, 2014 Tom Benson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is without doubt one of the best fictional tales of this type I’ve read. One of the main characters is brought to the reader in the modern day, complete with the nightmares of his past experiences in war-torn Germany. His demons are not confined to the night, so the narrative opens his mental sores to expose a myriad of deep secrets. His conscious mind is torn by day and night by vivid memories.
I’ve read several factual accounts of the history which the author has used for the core of her s
Angela Lockwood
Feb 12, 2016 Angela Lockwood rated it really liked it
Touching the wire is a story told in two parts. Part one is narrated by Walt, a grandfather of seven year old twins Charlotte and Lucy. He is plagued by the memories of his time as a doctor at Auschwitz. Through a number of flashbacks we find out about his struggle to keep patients alive and his blossoming love for a young Jewish woman; Miriam. Part two is told from the perspective of Charlotte, his granddaughter who we catch up with several years later. This book raises many interesting ...more
Michelle Lynn
Jan 18, 2016 Michelle Lynn rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time a book touched me like this one. I've always been fascinated by the holocaust and read a lot of books with the goal of trying to see what makes a human being do the kinds of things the SS did. What makes someone so evil?

Fear. That's basically what this book boils down to. It was my first time reading one about someone from the other side of the war, an SS doctor. He is not evil. In fact, he does everything he thinks he can to save those under his watch. But his fe
Bl Pride
Mar 22, 2015 Bl Pride rated it it was amazing

This is a book with so many different layers it seems impossible to include them all in a review and do them all justice. It is a deeply touching, deeply moving story that is difficult to read at times, but gripping, mercilessly engaging, and you simply cannot put it down.
The setting and the historical background could be a double-edged sword in this case, since there have been so may works set in the time of World War II, but Bryn managed to create a masterpiece based on the eternal struggles o
Eric Lahti
Dec 22, 2014 Eric Lahti rated it it was amazing
The story of the Holocaust is a terrifying reminder of what depths humans can plumb when they really set their minds to being evil. It's a loathsome, offensive story that should forever remain in our phyches. The numbers are staggering and the sheer industrialization of torture and murder is mind boggling.
We all know this.
The horrifying event has been the subject of many written works, both good and bad. It's the go-to source for hacks who want to shock and the first stop for anyone who wants to
Rita Chapman
Jan 26, 2015 Rita Chapman rated it it was amazing
Harrowing. Horrifying. Powerful. Touching the Wire by Rebecca Bryn is a masterful and thought-provoking story, a truly amazing read.

Rebecca Bryn is an outstanding author, her writing is of a high calibre and she is a wonderful story teller. Her writing transports you to the scene and immerses you in it. I wasn’t reading a story – I was there, living it, every second of it. It is horrific and shocking and will leave you wondering how such evil existed, but at the same time it is full of love and
Morgan Kelley
Dec 22, 2014 Morgan Kelley rated it it was amazing
5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, December 21, 2014
By morgan -

This review is from: TOUCHING THE WIRE: A doctor and nurse fight to save lives, and find love in a Nazi death-camp. Seventy years later the doctor's granddaughter, intrigued by an enigmatic carving, discovers the secrets (Kindle Edition)
Where to begin?
This was an amazing story.
Immediately, i fell into the rhythm of the tale, and lost track of all time. Before long, i found myself toward the final pages, wishing it wouldn't end.
That's
Claire
Jan 27, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
This is a touching and very sensitively told story spanning many decades starting in the concentration camps of WW2. As a rule I don't enjoy war stories or their spin-offs but this was so carefully told without glossing over the details but also without revelling in them I found myself thoroughly enjoying it despite it's subject matter. Congratulations to the Author Rebecca Bryn for creating such an emotional and spiritual account of a very painful subject. Highly recommended.
Tehila
Apr 12, 2016 Tehila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the beginning of this book difficult to read, but too compelling to put quit. About one third of the way in, the pace picked up. The end of the book was a total surprise to me; expected it to go in an entirely different direction.

I expect to reread the first and last sections, although not immediately.

I read a free kindle version of this book; my review was not solicited.
Sreelata Menon
Jul 13, 2015 Sreelata Menon rated it it was amazing
A superbly written book!
Pam
Nov 03, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it
Touching the Wire is by Rebecca Bryn. This is a fictitious account of a young doctor in Auschwitz and the young Jewish nurse whom he loved. Then it skips back and forth between Auschwitz and the present as his granddaughter searches for his past.
Charlotte and her twin sister Lucy loved to hear their grandfather, Walt, tell them scary stories before they went to sleep. Their grandmother kept telling him they would be scared; but the girls loved his stories and loved their grandfather. It is now
andrea fasig
Nov 26, 2016 andrea fasig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shocker

I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 for one reason only: it took me a really long time to get into. I honestly thought I was going to be disappointed in the end and then BAM! The treasure at the end of this book is worth the hunt.
Mary
Oct 09, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
No words...moving and devastating...
Sharon Miller
Feb 22, 2015 Sharon Miller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Touching the Wire, by Rebecca Bryn, is multi-layered story that weaves past and present into a complex tapestry illustrating how difficult it is to escape one’s past. Walt Blundell has secrets—secrets even his wife does not know, secrets he cannot share with anyone, secrets he cannot even whisper to himself alone in his workshop.

Haunted by his wartime experience at Auschwitz, and by the memory of the man he calls Wselfwulf in the frightening stories he tells his granddaughters, and by the memor
niki
Apr 23, 2016 niki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I reAlly enjoyed this book. It is pretty accurate as to what happened during the war, I have read many books about the holocaust that are written by the survivors and they all sound the same as what this book details. The way it was written I really wondered if the book was a true story. I would recommend for anyone to read, just beware some of the things are upsetting.
Georgina Read
Aug 28, 2016 Georgina Read rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

I gave this book 5 stars because it deserves them. Outstanding read. Kept me gripped. Very interesting read. Gives you an incite to terror, fear, hideous crimes against nature, betrayal, love and forgiveness. Even made me shed a tear.
Chris-Jean Clarke
Aug 01, 2016 Chris-Jean Clarke rated it it was amazing
Historical Events Told As A Fictional Story Is A Great Way For Students To Learn & Remember Facts

In my opinion, this book should be available in schools, colleges, universities & libraries as a reference tool!
Annibell
Aug 12, 2016 Annibell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for this book!

This was a rollercoaster of a read! Good plot, total twist of the ending, I did not put this down until three nights later. I'm watching for more books from her. I loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »