Start by marking “Black Ship to Hell” as Want to Read:
Black Ship to Hell

Black Ship to Hell

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Kessinger Publishing is the place to find hundreds of thousands of rare and hard-to-find books with something of interest for everyone
Published September 12th 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Black Ship to Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Ship to Hell

Steve Morrison
This was one of those books for me where I found myself vehemently disagreeing page by page for much of the time. But I kept reading nonetheless and found it compelling due to Brophy's engaging, erudite, witty voice. This is a very full book, and worth rereading, crammed with myriads of references from mythology to psychoanalysis to Mozart to Sade to Leopold and Loeb. And I love this crazy genre of psychoanalytic cultural history. Erich Neumann's Origins and History of Consciousness, and The Gre ...more
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
So I picked thus up for one US dollar thinking it was a novel. Rather, it is an outdated Freudian (if you think that adjective is redundant, then you shouldn't be reading this) study of the propensity of being-human towards violence and self-destruction. Blah blah.

The title is from The Odyssey.

Nuegut of Wisdom :: Whether you be atheist or theist, if your theology rotates like as if you had a nail through your foot into the oak floorboards around HELL then you're probably off your rocker.

But I
Dan's Obsessions
This is a very full book, and worth rereading, crammed with myriads of references from mythology to psychoanalysis to Mozart to Sade to Leopold and Loeb. And I love this crazy genre of psychoanalytic cultural history. Erich Neumann's Origins and History of Consciousness, and The Great Mother are also in this genre, if it can be called that. Maybe Frazer's The Golden Bough, though that's a little earlier. Those 20th century Freudian scholars really had their act together and make for fascinating ...more
Rune Rasmussen
Rune Rasmussen marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Jacob Wren
Jacob Wren marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Matilda
Matilda marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Emily Meeks
Emily Meeks marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Caterina
Caterina marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Uber Dove
Uber Dove marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Luc
Luc marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Twiggy
Twiggy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2011
Rob Same
Rob Same marked it as to-read
May 10, 2011
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2010
Davey Morrison Dillard
Davey Morrison Dillard marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2010
Adrian
Adrian added it
Jul 06, 2010
Amber Treadway
Amber Treadway marked it as to-read
May 18, 2010
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2009
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Brigid Antonia Brophy, Lady Levey (12 June 1929, in Ealing, Middlesex, England – 7 August 1995, in Louth, Lincolnshire, England) was an English novelist, essayist, critic, biographer, and dramatist. In the Dictionary of Literary Biography: British Novelists since 1960, S. J. Newman described her as "one of the oddest, most brilliant, and most enduring of [the] 1960s symptoms."

She was a feminist an
More about Brigid Brophy...
In Transit: An Heroi-Cyclic Novel The King of a Rainy Country Flesh Fifty Works of English Literature We Could Do Without Hackenfeller's Ape