Start by marking “Death in Five Boxes (Sir Henry Merrivale, #7)” as Want to Read:
Death in Five Boxes (Sir Henry Merrivale, #7)

Death in Five Boxes (Sir Henry Merrivale #7)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Persons this mystery is about:

Sir Henry Merrivale,
of the Secret Service, is a tremendous, bald-headed Englishman who curses with a vengeance, looks malevolently over his spectacles, and is known and respected by the whole London Police Force as H.M.

Chief Inspector Humphrey Masters,
is ruddy of face, bland as a car-sharper, and wears his grizzled hair carefully brushed to hi
Published June 1st 1977 by Tower & Leisure Sales Co (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Five Boxes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Five Boxes

Tony
DEATH IN FIVE BOXES. (1938). Carter Dickson. ***.
As we know, the name Carter Dickson was a pseudonym used by American writer, John Dickson Carr (1906-1977). As Carter Dickson, the author uses a series protagonist, Sir Henry Merrivale, and attendent representative from Scotland Yard, Chief Inspector Humphrey Masters. In this case, it is discovered that a small private party has turned into a tragedy. Of the five people at the gathering, four were found poisoned by atropine, and the fifth, the sp
Janne Varvára
This was addictive from page one: A group of people at a party are all drugged. Once everyone's unconscious, someone stabs and murders the host.
It's hard sometimes to find new and interesting things to say about John Dickson Carr novels, simply because I read so many, and because all of them have the same great quality, the author never seeming to have a bad writing day, as evident with other writers.
However, I did pick up on two things that stuck out in this one: First, it's actually pretty com
Graham Powell
I first read this book thirty years ago or more, when I was a teenager, and I thought it was really good. I'm glad to see that it still holds up.

A stockbroker, known as something of an eccentric, throws a dinner party for three of his acquaintances. Despite the fact that the cocktails are prepared in full view of all of them, someone doses them with atropine, leaving them insensible. And then runs the host through with a swordstick.

Sir Henry Merrivale is drawn into the case, and manages to sort
Mark
Classic old school locked door impossible whodunit. Dickson (really John Dickson Carr) is truly a master mystery craftsman and this one is chock full of aristrocratic suspects with checkered pasts, red herrings galore, delightful characters, romance and action. And all in under two hundred pages! A total pleasure.
Sergey
A fun murder mystery. Eh, not that murder should be fun, mind you. But this mystery was quite comical in a sense – quite unreal, really. I enjoyed it.
Himitsu_no_ai
It was highly interesting. I would definitely recommend it. You are not going to be able to put it down until it's finished. :)
Jz
Mar 27, 2009 Jz marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery, own
8th in Sir Merrivale series. 1938.
Julie
Julie added it
Dec 02, 2014
I_nurhadi
I_nurhadi marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Luis Carlos
Luis Carlos marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kaan Berke
Kaan Berke marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kaan Berke
Kaan Berke marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Sercan
Sercan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Neil Davies
Neil Davies marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Judas Window (Sir Henry Merrivale, #8) The Plague Court Murders (Sir Henry Merrivale, #1) The Curse of the Bronze Lamp (Sir Henry Merrivale, #16) The Red Widow Murders (Sir Henry Merrivale, #3) She Died a Lady (Sir Henry Merrivale, #14)