Start by marking “Star Wars: Tales from the New Republic” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Tales from the New Republic

Star Wars: Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars Legends)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  1,830 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Written by various science fiction writers, these "Star Wars" tales take the reader into a world where the only laws are cunning, force, and power - and only the craziest and deadliest dare to tread.
Published December 2nd 1999 by Bantam Books (Transworld Publishers a division of the Random House Group) (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Ian Reay
This was truly a great collection of Star Wars short fiction. Each story is totally different, and yet forms a whole, of life in the Star Wars Galaxy.
Interlude at Darkknell: By Tim Zahn and Mike Stackpole, this one delivers. It is the big draw to the whole book, and lives up to that. We get to learn more about Hal Horn and Gen. Bel Iblis, against the background of some major galactic events. Good characters and some great tying together of loose threads. (similer to the Zahn/Stackpole in Tales f
Gretchen Fatouros
Read Tales from the Empire FIRST!!!

To give you an idea of how much I enjoyed the first few stories, I had to go buy the book instead of staying with the library book! Definitely a good book for any Star Wars book collection!

Timeline so far for the 1st story (Interlude at Darkknell) is before A New Hope. Very exciting and well-written story.

1st story (Interlude to Darkknell, by Timothy Zahn & Michael A. Stackpole): read the short story from "Tales of the empire" before story 2. From Tales of
Ron
A better, if uneven collection of Star Wars "Tales." Some do little to expand the SW universe. The opening tale, which the closest ties to former SW stories, is unambiguously dated before Episode Four, while most of the others extend beyond Episode Six.
A fantastic collection of stories, I thoroughly enjoyed Tales of the New Republic. I will be adding this to my 'to buy' book list. I thought the stories were well written, and a few will once again pull at the heart for sure. I would recommend this book along with Tales of the Empire to any SW:EU fan. It is essential for sure.
Chris Bell
Interlude at Darkknell by Timothy Zahn & Michael A. Stackpole: Loved it.
Jade Solitaire by Timothy Zahn: Loved It.
Gathering Shadows by Kathy Burdette: Enjoyed this one.
Hutt and Seek by Chris Cassidy & Tish Pahl: Fantastic, loved it.
The Longest Fall by Patricia A. Jackson: Didn't care for it at all.
Conflict of Interest by Laurie Burns: I liked this one quite a bit.
No Disintegrations, Please by Paul Danner: Not sure Fett would have done all that was done in this one, but I kinda liked the e
Greg Schwartz
Some great stories, some not so great. Not really worth reading unless you want to read everything, or love Mara Jade. Though the Darknell story at the beginning was pretty good.
L.
This was a great read! The Zahn/Stackpole collaberation was really wonderful and I loved reading about Hal Horn in particular. I also really liked the Pahl/Cassidy collaberation that featured Kyp. Frankly, the characterization of him there rang much truer than the one in Vector Prime. Jean Rabe's story was refreshing since it was told from an alien's POV and the Bobba Fett story had an interesting twist, even for this not-a-Fett-fan. There did seem to be an awful lot of dark Jedi in some of the ...more
Mark
How many different stores in the SW EU have "steal plans for the Death Star" as part of the plot? There are at least two books, including this one, plus the adventures of Kyle Katarn in the original Dark Forces video game - the coolest one, before it was all about crazy lightsaber stuff and Jedi powers and you could just get all kinds of random awesome blasters and do cools tuff.

But hey, it's still hard to go wrong with a Timothy Zahn/Michael A. Stackpole team-up when you're working within the c
Beau Brockett
I always liked the Star Wars short stories best. Definitely read "Gathering Shadows."
Scott
A good mix of stories, slightly better than the previous mos eisley cantina/jabbas palace short story collections which all featured the same overlapping story elements, the stories in this collection are a lot more spread out, and focus less on the main characters we are all used to. Finely anchored with a longer story from Timothy Zahn, i also enjoyed the one featuring Boba Fett, and another with Mara Jade. There are a few weaker ones towards the end though.
Iver
It was okay. If this was the first Star Wars book I ever read, I doubt I'd read another one. But, since it's far from that it was...okay. If you're like me, and you're trying to read ALL of the EU titles, you'll burn through it and forget it. If you like Star Wars and want to read some EU titles, don't go to this one first, there are far better EU books out there.
Jose Miguel
Las dos primeras historias fueron interesantes, pero de ahi en mas, es cuesta abajo, lo acabé solo por no dejarlo pendiente
Brendan
This was my least favorite of all the short story collections. I had a hard time caring about most of the stories and the characters. The book overall just didn't really capture my attention. There were a few gems in the book, especially the material by Zahn and Stackpole, but overall not worth the time.
Timothy
Out of all the anthologies this is the best. And there is a must read timothy zahn short in this as well.
Tarsier
Sep 01, 2011 Tarsier rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
I wouldn't give every story 5 stars, but this collection includes some of my all-time favorite SW stories.
Christopher Murphy
Good anthology. Especially enjoyed "Simple Tricks".
Suzy
Suzy added it
Jul 01, 2015
Ally Whittam
Ally Whittam marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Jye
Jye marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Ben Bishop
Ben Bishop marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Peter D
Peter D marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Jordan Poe
Jordan Poe marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Battle Surgeons (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #4) (Medstar, #1)
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #7)
  • Star Wars:  The Approaching Storm
  • Before the Storm (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #1)
  • The Cestus Deception (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #3)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • Jedi Trial (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #6)

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 346 books)
  • Into the Void (Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi)
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest (Star Wars)
Tales from the Empire (Star Wars) The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal, Vol. 1 No. 13 Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook (Star Wars RPG) Darkstryder Campaign (Star Wars D6 RPG) The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal, Vol. 1 No. 1