Dragon's Winter

Dragon's Winter (Dragon's Winter #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Since his twin's theft of his talisman, Karadur Atani can never become a dragon king. Instead, his dragon's heart remains imprisoned in the body of a broken man.But when his brother returns, cloaked in a veil of black magic, Karadur Atani will fight for his birthright -- once and for all...
Published April 1st 1999 by Ace (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Winter

Daughter of the Blood by Anne BishopSpark by Brigid KemmererQueen of the Darkness by Anne BishopDragon's Winter by Elizabeth A. LynnStorm by Brigid Kemmerer
Best SciFi/Fantasy Books About Brothers
4th out of 14 books — 3 voters
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinHer Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr.The Sparrow by Mary Doria RussellPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleLilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler
Tiptree Books
92nd out of 114 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Deana
This was an interesting book. I picked it up at the library while in search of a new fantasy author. I'd never heard of Lynn, but she had good recommendations from two of my favorite authors on the back of the book, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I did enjoy her writing style - it was interesting and easy to read. The plot of the story held my interest and kept me reading, right up until the end. The characters were well-formed and ... overall, it was pretty good.

I had some issues. First, i...more
Melissa
This book could have had so much potential, but instead, Lynn has destroyed it. The plan was probably a good one, but the execution, nothing short of terrible.

Two brothers are born in an event that will kill their mother. They are not any brothers though, but rather Dragon-born. One is a direct dragon, born to be able to shape shift into a dragon at will when he grows. The other, is normal. We aren't given much of their childhood and instead come to the future where Tenjiro Atani, the brother wi...more
Kirstin
Katharine Harding
I hadn't heard of this author before, but I'm glad I found this book. It reminded me of Ursula Le Guin, both in the subject matter but also the writing style. There are several sad moments but also excitement - the fight near the end was memorable. The secondary characters were well-drawn.

I wasn't too sure about the ending - the last three chapters or so didn't really add to the plot. And one of my favourite minor characters was unnecessarily killed off. Finally, another reviewer notes that sudd...more
Mirrani
I enjoyed this story immensely and quickly found myself caught up in the lives of not only one individual, but all of the characters and the history of their world. I actually found myself desperate to want to feel the history of the place I was traveling to through the pages.

While I love Fantasy stories, I am not typically a fan of shape-changing dragons, but I found this one to be attention getting and easy to manage. I didn't see a dragon changing to a man, I saw a man hurt by his past, ange...more
Anna Rebecca
I would have really liked to have given this book a higher rating, but it simply isn't possible to do so. The idea of the book was great. Dragon (Karadur Atani) and Tenjiro, Dragon's twin brother, held a lot of promise. Their story could have been epic. Unfortunately, Lynn failed to deliver.

In the minor characters she managed to develop them more, though not completely. But somehow she left the twins with very little development. By the end of the story, you're left to guess at why certain decis...more
Ruth
c1997: This was a re-read for me and I recalled really enjoying this book. However, I didn't enjoy the re-read as much as I thought I would. I think, perhaps, that the genre has evolved so much that this relatively traditional fantasy just doesn't 'float the boat' as much. Perhaps more suitable for someone exploring the genre..but then again...maybe not. From an Interview with the author where she describes her 'writer's block' -""The central character of this book is a man whose most fundamenta...more
Joanna Compton-Mys
Oh, dear. I did my best, and I finished it. I love fantasy, and the idea behind this novel is really interesting. But I found this a difficult book to read. We are introduced to a huge number of people, all of whom have tongue twisters of names. This in itself is expected in fantasy, especially in something in the guise of high fantasy, but we are told in passing of people without consequence while those characters integral to the plot are also glossed over.

Unfortunately, I found it very diffic...more
Scott
It is prolly closer to a 2 1/2, maybe 3 cuz I liked the story line... but...
I had a hard time with the "cadence", so to say, of the book. Sometimes it just seemed like there was a rush through a paragraph, and you were left wondering who was doing what, and had to re-read to try and understand where a shift had happened.
The story was well enough, I just feel it was awkward at times understanding the details of the situations going on.
And the ending felt like it went well past where it could hav...more
Edie
Elizabeth Lynn is one of the first women authors I read where there are gay and straigh characters, all of whom (mostly) accept each other for the choices they made. Her Chronicles of Tornor series was well done. I found this one by chance, as I had thought she had finished writing with just the Tornor series. This one, Dragon's Winter is simply written, meaning she pares her language but still is able to give a good idea of the land and the peoples and the issues of the land. I love a story wit...more
Lisa H.
I was completely beside myself to learn in 1997 that there was a new Elizabeth Lynn book out - her earlier works are among my favorite reads, and she had pretty much disappeared after the publication of her Chronicles of Tornor in the 1980s.

What killed this one for me was the six-year wait between the first and second books (making me wonder if her earlier silence was due at least in part to writer's block.) I still haven't read the 2nd one, and I don't think she's published anything since that...more
Steven Drachman
This is not only an incredibly detailed world, but it is a beautifully written literary novel, really one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read (maybe the very best). Lynn interrupted a lengthy silence to write this, and some of the difficulties the main character goes through clearly refers to her own writer's block. It seems as thought it was supposed to be the first book of a trilogy, but she has so far written only #2, and she doesn't seem to be rushing to finish it up, which would be to...more
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Adding former reads, so not able to definitively rate, but I enjoyed it. I tend to avoid fantasy, feeling that much of it is too formulaic but I enjoyed this. I think I picked it up at a cheap price (a book fair or bargain books section of store), but I don't regret the reading time. The characters if I remember were likable, yet frustrating - just like real people so often are - they too often fail to do what we want them to. Sorry, can't remember much more.
Zara
I read this book in high school. I had been looking for a good dragon book since I first picked up the Enchanted Forest Chronicles in middle school and this one fit the bill. Again, Lynn develops great characters! The relationships between each one and the whole story are so well written I read it twice! The sequel came out not too long after I read this, and while it is the same author, Dragon's Winter trumps for best of the two.
Don Bradshaw
This book and its scond installment could have been very good books but the writer never fleshed out the characters and left the book totally disjointed. Twin brothers are born. The eldest has the precious bragon blood. The younger and weaker twin is jealous and becomes a mage set on bringing his sibling down. Lynn threw in a gay character that hangs onto the younger brother but is made a waste by poor writing
Slinkyboy
Good stuff...
Pandionhalatius37.6
It had fairly unique ideas, but had painful cliches interspersed throughout the mediocre plot. A decent book for someone looking at starting high fantasy- it's like high or epic fantasy with the epic turned way down. If you were looking to start reading fantasy, you could try this book to get used to multiple points of view and fantasy settings.
Katilian
This story was well-developed from the plot standpoint and had interesting world-building. I enjoyed many of the characters: Wolf and Thea, the various soldiers, Hawk. I was a little disappointed in the relationship between Karadur and Azil, though, because it could have been epic and ended up a little flat. Definitely worth a read, though.
Susan
Loved this one, too. The interactions between the brothers in this one was phenomenal. When a fantasy author makes you untterly believe in something, as in the dragons and the people who turn into them, then they are always on a winner. Suspension of belief is an art not many can do and this one did it well.
K T
Not bad but not really worth reading. A lot of extraneous stuff that doesn't seem to have much impact for the story goes on. But at the same time, some of that extra stuff (I'm talking about Wolf's story) is actually more interesting than the main plot.
A.R. Jarvis
Mediocre writing at it's most mediocre. Lack of emotional description leaves characters flat. Too much time spent on secondary characters. Also, I seem unable to recall if I've read this book before or not, which is probably not a good sign.
Lisa
This is probably one of the best books that I've read in a long time. It is artfully crafted, with an intriguing plot, and fascinating characters. It is the kind of book you think of long after you have put it down.
Albion
First rate fantasty novel. Very ambiguous even if a little confused at the end. Doesn't hold back.
Vonny
Vonny is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Verin
Verin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Marlene Olson
Marlene Olson marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Ulio
Ulio marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • The Still (Rodrigo of Caledon, #1)
  • The Last Dragonlord (Dragonlord, #1)
  • The First Stone (The Last Rune, #6)
  • The Stone Prince (Branion, #1)
  • The Chosen
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Ring of Lightning (Dance of the Rings, #1)
  • Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer, #1)
  • The Skewed Throne (Throne of Amenkor, #1)
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)
  • The Dragon Delasangre (Dragon Delasangre, #1)
  • Shadowdance
  • The Gate of Gods (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #3)
  • The Merro Tree
  • The Prophecy Machine (Investments, #1)
Elizabeth A. Lynn is a US writer most known for fantasy and to a lesser extent science fiction. She is particularly known for being one of the first writers in science fiction or fantasy to introduce gay and lesbian characters; in honor of Lynn, the GLBT bookstore "A Different Light" took its name from her novel.
More about Elizabeth A. Lynn...
Watchtower (Chronicles of Tornor, #1) The Dancers of Arun (Chronicles of Tornor, #2) The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3) The Sardonyx Net A Different Light