Start by marking “The Curious Snowflake: A Parable” as Want to Read:
The Curious Snowflake: A Parable

The Curious Snowflake: A Parable

What happens to a snowflake when it falls?

To a snowflake, falling may be the scariest thing in the world, but the Curious Snowflake longs to know the truth. She travels throughout the Great Cloud, asking every snowflake she can what happens when they fall, and finds that, while everyone has ideas about it, none of them truly know.

Then the Curious Snowflakes falls herself a
Published June 18th 2010 by booktrope

To ask other readers questions about The Curious Snowflake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curious Snowflake

Akylina
There are some books that you read and enjoy but they do not leave a lasting impression on you; you end up forgetting them sooner or later. There are other books, though, which find a way to crawl and creep into your heart and become your companions. I feel such an utter delight whenever I encounter such a book and "The Curious Snowflake" is definitely one of those.

I am always amazed when such a short book can manage to have such a big impact on its reader. I really enjoyed its format and writi
Nerisa  Eugenia Waterman
Dec 20, 2014 Nerisa Eugenia Waterman rated it it was amazing
UPDATED ON 12/20/2014
Now Includes Author Interview

“The Curious Snowflake”….A heartfelt and unforgettable story…a parable of religious and spiritual beliefs, written in a style of …who would of guess it…a children’s story. The theme of one’s search for spiritually and the meaning of life as it relates to truth, trust, and love spoke to me in such a way, that I was actually amazed that this was a Children’s Book.

In many ways, we often learn that the greatest obstacle in life is Ourselves… our Ego
The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight}
Review: THE CURIOUS SNOWFLAKE

An engaging fable for adults as well as children [for who among us isn't curious and adventurous at heart?), THE CURIOUS SNOWFLAKE is a parable and at its precious heart is the lesson First Flake imparts to Curious Snowflake: the truth is in your heart. Listen to it.

This is an adorable story for parents and grands to read to their young ones. Adults, read for yourselves and find you are nodding wisely throughout.
Leta Hawk
Jan 15, 2016 Leta Hawk rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading The Curious Snowflake by James C. Struck. My first impression, based solely on the title and the cover design, was that this would be a quick,lighthearted read. Well, you know the saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover”? Yeah, that.

Don’t get me wrong; it was quick, and it was for the most part lighthearted, but it was so much more than that.

The story follows Curious Snowflake as she travels through the Great Cloud, asking all the other snowflakes her deep questions of l
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 09, 2016 Carla Johnson-Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When I first saw this book, I thought it was just a cute children's story, but was I wrong. This book can be read by all ages and based upon your age and maturity, you will be able to draw different things from it.

The basic question that The Curious Snowflake wants an answer to is: "What happens when we fall?" She asks all the various types of snowflakes in the Great Cloud and does not think they answer her question. As well, they get quickly tired of her questions and want her to stop. She cont
Dennis Sharpe
Mar 30, 2016 Dennis Sharpe rated it it was amazing
As deep and profound a story as any that I have been proud to share with my children. The lessons so adeptly shown in this tale, from the different groups of snowflakes to the First Flake, to the Ocean, so many parallels can be drawn and so many quality conversations can be started from the wisdom of this parable.

To quote the Ocean from this story: “Precisely, dearest child. That is the difference between good and right. Right is based upon a choice, a decision to live a certain way and to stic
Tanja
May 09, 2016 Tanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very unique little book, highly philosophical. I was intrigued by the story from the very first page, a curious snowflake with lots and lots of questions, the most pressing, what happens to a snowflake when it falls. I liked all the philosophical discourse and the way the story touches on the water cycle. While I could imagine this book to make a really great classroom read aloud, I am not sure how independent young readers will respond to the story. Will they comprehend? Will they have the ...more
Linda Parkinson-Hardman
Dec 12, 2014 Linda Parkinson-Hardman rated it it was amazing
The Curious Snowflake is a beautiful parable for our times. It perfectly parallels the journey individuals can go through finding their way ‘home’ again, wherever home happens to be for them. It reminds us that we are all born of ‘one’ and will return to that state again, before making our next journey into this thing we call life, the learn yet more lessons.

I am sure that everyone can take something away from this little book, whether they are 9 or 90 – it will speak to both the child and the w
InkpenDaisy
May 19, 2016 InkpenDaisy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely story that could be read by adults and children alike. A parable that reminds us to learn more from and try to understand more about the people around us,The Curious Snowflake is a charming story.
I would definitely read this to children. The story would also resonate with adults, who would be reminded how important it is to stay curious and keep learning.
Irene
May 07, 2016 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK TO MY CHILDREN IN THE FUTURE (well, if I'm going to have them).

“Why do you ask so many questions?” said the other snowflakes. “Why are you always so curious?”
“Because,” the Curious Snowflake replied, “everything around us is so wonderful— I just want to understand it all!”
Michelle Fairbanks
Mar 05, 2016 Michelle Fairbanks rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and can't wait to read with my children when they are a little older ... Such a lovely story with some big questions for kids and adults alike! Beautiful.
Dana
May 25, 2016 Dana rated it liked it
This is a new age parable written like a children's story about a curious snowflake who wants to know what it is like to fall. She goes to several different groups of snowflakes and each group strives for a different value - beauty, goodness etc..., and even though the curious snowflake is not the same shape as them, they eventually recognize her diligence and feel that she has attained their value, but they are angry when she goes to explore other groups. Parts of it were quite repetitive, ...more
Soudha
May 06, 2016 Soudha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read-books
The curious snowflake asks the same questions so many of us want answers to. Where do we come from? What is the purpose of our existence? Her questions lead her on a journey through the Great Cloud, where she encounters different snowflakes, each one with a theory of his own.

What I really liked about this book was the fairytale-like tone of the story as well as the very endearing snowflake who serves as the main character.

The one thing I would say I enjoyed less was the repetitiveness of the s
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Becca
Becca rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Lisa Hall
Lisa Hall rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Debbie Oliver
Debbie Oliver rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Damona
Damona rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sam Melton
Sam Melton rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2014
Betty Macy
Betty Macy marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Geoff Raye
Geoff Raye marked it as to-read
Tallulah A. Scribbles
Tallulah A. Scribbles marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Rick Freschi
Rick Freschi marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
J. Reville
J. Reville marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Donna Maguire
Donna Maguire marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Born, raised, and lives in Illinois, youngest of a ridiculously large family. B.A. Cum Laude from Columbia College Chicago in Music Composition, for all the good it's doing him now.

James is a New Age philosopher who also dabbles in modern fantasy, speculative fiction, and poetry. He is currently working on a longer philosophical work titled "A Theory of Oneness" and a YA modern fantasy novel tenta
More about James C. Struck...