Start by marking “Morning Glories, Vol. 8: Rivals” as Want to Read:
Morning Glories, Vol. 8: Rivals

Morning Glories, Vol. 8: Rivals (Morning Glories Vol. 8: 39-42)

It's time to stop running! Allegiances are formed, rivals are challenged, and the Glories take a defiant STAND against the faculty in the explosive turning point-arc "Assembly." Collects MORNING GLORIES #39-42
Published December 3rd 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Morning Glories, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning Glories, Vol. 8

Low, Volume 1 by Rick RemenderJupiter's Legacy Volume 1 by Mark MillarMorning Glories, Vol. 1 by Nick SpencerInvincible, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanInvincible, Vol. 2 by Robert Kirkman
Image Comics Library (TPB only) H-P
25th out of 94 books — 15 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanSaga, Volume 2 by Brian K. VaughanSaga, Volume 3 by Brian K. VaughanThe Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 by Kieron GillenRat Queens, Vol. 1 by Kurtis J. Wiebe
Best of Image Comics
150th out of 169 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaisersoze
Jan 20, 2015 Kaisersoze rated it did not like it
Interesting visual style aside, I've now reached the point where I can no longer justify the time spent reading this series. To be honest, I likely wouldn't have even bothered with this one had I not picked up all eight issues leading up to #42 at the same time. But I did, and so I felt compelled, and afterwards I felt annoyed and disappointed, mainly with myself.

Perhaps - perhaps - it might be worth returning to this world once the last edition has been published and a patient reader can sit an
Matt
Apr 24, 2015 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: morning-glories
I...I think I keep reading this book because I keep waiting for something to happen, and then nothing happens, but we keep getting promises of things to happen. And then there's time travel and Lost references and I can't remember which of the twins is still alive at this point and where did the snobby rich kid go I haven't seen him in a while. And then Eisma keeps drawing every face the same, or close to it, and the colorist has no idea how skin tones work. And nothing makes much sense at all.

A
Elena
Jul 05, 2015 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How am I supposed to wait for volume 9 now?
Adam Fisher
Aug 21, 2015 Adam Fisher rated it it was amazing
FINALLY! A situation that could turn out amazing and deliver answers!
SPOILERS.... lots... (more like a synopsis for me for when I pick this title back up)

Casey's rival Isabel returns and we find out that she is Class President. One of the benefits of being Class President is that you get to speak face to face with the ever elusive Headmaster. Therefore, Casey, after declaring intent to get answers from him then kill him in revenge for her parents' death, announces she is running for Class Presid
Ruth
Nov 21, 2016 Ruth rated it it was ok
Hey, remember when I promised myself that I wouldn't get involved with serialized fiction that reminds me of Lost until the corpus was complete and I had assurance that the plot would eventually make sense? I should listen to myself more often.
Ryan Werner
Oct 05, 2015 Ryan Werner rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
After being dragged out for a few trades, we finally get some things to help carry a narrative: Casey considers running for student counsel and Guillame wants to win some stupid sports game. Nothing great, but with all the time travel, flashbacks, and dreamscaping, I'm totally fine with just digging in to some cliche teenager problems for a bit.

The good thing about experiencing all the crazy shit up to this point is that it does kind of transcend what is essentially an episode or two of Saved B
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 25, 2015 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
A move over to surprisingly mundane things: a student election, science projects, and a school newspaper. Granted, it all has a weird Morning Glories spin, but it's much more normal schooldom. Obviously, the result doesn't have the heft of the initial run or the Woodrun madness, but it's good to see a bit of "real life" at the school before the next bit of weirdness.

Unlike some of the recent microtrades, this one feels like it has a good beginning and end, thanks to the bookending of Casey's dec
Matt Anderson
Jul 25, 2015 Matt Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, image
Collects Morning Glories issues #39-42

I keep thinking, "I need to start this series over from the beginning to follow what's going on. At least maybe I should read the last few volumes to catch back up." But I can't do that. I don't have time for that. Should I wait to read this series until it is completely finished in about two years? Maybe, but I still love it, and want to read on. Why? Why do I love it? I'm lost, right? I don't really know what's going on anymore, do I? I'm still basically f
Anchorpete
Aug 06, 2016 Anchorpete rated it liked it
I have read morning glories in two different ways- waiting to read the trades and reading the single issues.

It does not pay to read the book with huge gaps between every issues. Even just reading a single trade, it is hard to remember who each character is, and what the hell is actually going on. I had not read Morning glories for a long time, before picking up this trade. I remembered where I left off, sort of, but I gotta tell you, it is hard to tell some of these damn characters apart. Zoe, I
Sheldon Wiebe
Apr 08, 2015 Sheldon Wiebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morning Glories is a peculiar series. It concerns a group of students at an elite private school who have been brought together for nefarious purposes that have been slowly revealed over several volumes - and aren't quite completely clear even now.

There's time travel and, possibly, alternate time streams involved and the whole thing is very much like a story constructed like an M.C. Escher painting. It's dazzling stuff and entertaining as heck.

The complex script is by Nick Spencer and the equall
Chris Lemmerman
This book is frustrating to read, and even more frustrating to review. It seems like each trade is getting smaller too, with this volume collecting only four issues. It is the most straightforward that the book has been for a while, with the time travel/ritual sacrifice/etc. elements dialed back a bit, but we're still getting a hell of a lot more questions to go with absolutely zero answers. I expect Nick Spencer has a plan, but it's getting to the point where the expectations are definitely ...more
Cliff
Sep 30, 2015 Cliff rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Many others have suggested it in their reviews, but this volume veers in a direction of seeming "normalcy," at least, as normal as Morning Glories gets.

Some smaller players in the game have now risen a bit more to prominence. Isabel, who was Casey's rival, suddenly has a pivotal role. Along with a couple of the adults from the Truant's past lives.

But as I mentioned in my earlier review of Volume 7, I've taken a very passive role in this series. I'm trying to make sense of the plot, but am not wi
Cale
Feb 09, 2016 Cale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, the plot actually seems to be going somewhere. Even if it is just a dodgeball tournament... Factions start actually doing stuff, and there's some coherent plotwork, which has been woefully lacking the last couple of issues. It's like the jigsaw pieces have finally all been removed from the box and now they've started to put the pieces together. Now that it's doing something, it's more interesting again - it no longer feels offensively obtuse, and the story gets a bit more compelling ...more
Chad Harmon
Aug 30, 2016 Chad Harmon rated it it was ok
I absolutely loved this series when it started but it's now become a huge, sprawling, epic... mess. There are SO many characters to keep track of that I can no longer remember them all or their character arcs. Nothing happens in this volume at all except lots of talking. There's a whole issue that is just a lecture on the nature of reality. I'm looking forward to the series ending so that I can read it through all in one read and (hopefully) be able to make sense of the plot from beginning to ...more
Amanda
Aug 31, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
A canon update burst for the last 3 volumes/review for all --

I'm still just as much in love with this show as always. It's time travel, academy & child based, LOST, and it still does own my heart. I loved the things we've learned. There were definitely some gasp worthy seconds for events I was not expecting the slightest. I do love the continual undercurrent theme about "faith" and how much it means, to the people and the supernatural elements of the whole series.
leynes
Oct 08, 2016 leynes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faith restored in MGA:

1. my two favs getting screen time (would panel time be more accurate?)... H+G forever!!!

2. the art style is getting sharper again (it was way off in the last two trades, even though now the characters look different (compared to their look in volume one), well you can't have everything)

3. they didn't throw more weird shit in, still no answers but well the story line was actually easy to follow and not confusing.

SO ENJOYABLE!!!
Susannah
Aug 24, 2015 Susannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well, I am still not sure what is going on this series, but I am enjoying it. The plot thickens - again - but it is hard to keep track of all the plot strands in between instalments. Fortunately Spencer does include reminders (such as which twin is dead again, although they have swapped names - again - and, I think, bodies???) and I sense there is an endgame in sight.
I look forward to further instalments.
Maggie Gordon
Originally read: March 25, 2015

Not the most exciting of the MG volumes, but definitely a weird and fantastic read! This series deserves far more attention that it deserves, and I am looking forward to the completion of what the last few issues have set up.

***

This volume holds up way better when you read it directly after the others! Not as seeped in mysteries, and Isabel is going to be a frustrating character, but an interesting lead-in to the main conflicts of season 2!
Alex Sarll
More riddles within riddles and portentous foreshadowing of things which never quite seem to arrive, plus at least one deeply debatable statement about reality which I fear was intended sincerely. Not entirely sure why I'm still reading this - and yet I already have the next volume out of the library.
Kristin
May 23, 2015 Kristin rated it did not like it
I had the vague feeling that the author had no idea where this story was going a few volumes ago, but the first few were so good I ignored it. This one confirms it: there is no plan in place, no endgame they're working toward, and no way I'm wasting my time on another nonsensical volume that goes in circles, very slowly.
Cori Ilardi
Sep 27, 2016 Cori Ilardi rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume was actually kind of boring (but nothing TOO confusing happened, which is amazing), but 5 stars to any volume that includes my beautiful, precious son, Guillaume.

Can we please learn more about him? Please?
Lindsay Heller
Jun 30, 2015 Lindsay Heller rated it really liked it
I liked this installment, even though it dealt with a lot more... everyday things than normal. And, I'm not the type to clamor for answers, I like deepened mystery, but it's really about time to throw us a bone. Wtf is going on in this series?!
Mitchell
Each issue ends kind of like the last one. I close the book and I say huh what the heck was that. Still pretty. Really good art, really good writing. But still a completely impenetrable plot. If you haven't started this series, I suggest avoiding it.
Alli Brooks
Jun 04, 2015 Alli Brooks rated it liked it
I really really love Morning Glories, but this volume kind of fell flat. It was interesting and enjoyable and it did progress thr story, however it seemed to be missing aspects that previous volumes had.
Craig
Mar 19, 2016 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Yay more Guillame. But if the solution was - and has been - run for student council, why is it just coming up in issue 42? That's four years, people! If I weren't reading this in collections, I'd have stopped reading the monthly ages ago.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Ugh, this series is killing me. I think I am actually withering away as I continue reading this. And now I am caught up, so I will have to wait forever for the next volume. Queue me melting into nothingness....
Jake
Jun 03, 2015 Jake rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
It might be time to give up on this until the whole thing wraps. It's just a lot of wild and loose without a constant backbone. Hard to follow unless you're bingin' on it. When it's good, it's crazy great. Otherwise, it's sort of trying to watch a butterfly find it's home for several miles.
Nikki
Jan 04, 2016 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
before I start: I'm kind of confused. the volume eight I have is "rivals". it says volume 8 and is #39-42. is goodreads just wrong and there's a mix up?
Aarthika
May 31, 2016 Aarthika rated it liked it
This was better than the previous volume but still a little slow. Not much has been answered either.
Chealsea Reads
Sep 23, 2015 Chealsea Reads rated it really liked it
Better than the last. But the while spinning wheels thing..never ending questions piling up with no answers in sight..I am growing weary of the games.
  • Mind the Gap, Volume 2: Wish You Were Here
  • Sheltered, Volume 2
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 3: Cemetery Songs
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Hinterkind Vol. 2: Written in Blood
  • Avengers Academy, Volume 3: Second Semester
  • Tiny Titans, Vol. 2: Adventures in Awesomeness
  • Spider-Man 2099, Vol. 1: Out of Time
  • Fatale, Volume 5: Curse the Demon
  • American Vampire, Volume 7
  • Gotham City Sirens, Vol. 1
  • Batgirl, Volume 4: Wanted
  • Nailbiter, Volume Three: Blood in the Water (Nailbiter, #3)
  • Deadly Class, Vol. 2: Kids of the Black Hole
  • Sonic Select: Book Two
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Bad Blood (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #14 Buffy Season 3)
Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Existence 2.0/3.0, Forgetless, Shuddertown, Morning Glories), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Iron Man 2.0, Ultimate Comics: X-Men).
More about Nick Spencer...

Morning Glories (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Morning Glories #1