Start by marking “Blood Stitches” as Want to Read:
Blood Stitches

Blood Stitches

It’s called El Toque de la Luna—The Touch of the Moon. At least that’s how nineteen-year-old Gabby’s older sister, Esperanza, refers to the magical powers she inherited from their Mayan ancestors. Esperanza says women with El Toque weave magic into their knitting, creating tapestries capable of saving—or devastating—the world. Gabby thinks Esperanza is more like touched in ...more
Published May 12th 2015 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about Blood Stitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Stitches

Lori Sawicki
Feb 09, 2015 Lori Sawicki rated it it was amazing
Both romance novel and thriller, Blood Stitches is a deliciously scary story—one that takes you on a terrifying thrill ride and leaves you a little breathless. This can’t-put-down book is immediately engaging as Fanning takes you down, deep into an underworld that gives new meaning to the word ‘hell.’ Original and fully conceived by Fanning, this underworld is both suffocating in its darkness and entertaining in its unique setting. The author’s expert touches of humor keep the story fresh and ...more
Kimberli Bindschatel
Feb 24, 2015 Kimberli Bindschatel rated it really liked it
A fantastical yarn, Erin Fanning’s Blood Stitches weaves ancient Mayan history with the goblins of nightmares in this tale of Gabby, a young college student, fighting for redemption for her sister. A fun, quick read that keeps up a good pace as the mystery unravels, this story would appeal to anyone young adult to college age…or anyone who thinks she has inherited the magic.
Laura Nielsen
Mar 02, 2015 Laura Nielsen rated it really liked it
Even the most devoted fantasy reader can get tired of dragons, knights, and princesses, or alternately of Greek Gods and Goddesses dragged into the modern world. Meanwhile, huge chunks of the world’s mythology remain unknown to readers in the US. In Blood Stitches, Erin Fanning mines Mayan myths found in the Popul Vuh. The story begins in very real, ordinary, and rainy Washington State. Gabby knows a little about her Mexican heritage, but she has grown up in the US. Ten years ago, her parents ...more
Amanda
Mar 25, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In theory, I should love novels about knitting because I love novels and I love knitting. However, many of the works I've read where knitting was featured were not great. I went into the reading of this novella with a hopeful, but critical eye.

Both technically and thematically, this short work was refreshing. It wasn't just about knitting...it was about magical knitting. While the potential for campiness was there, the author de
Melissa
Apr 19, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok
I am going to start this review by saying that I did not enjoy this book, I feel bad about that, but it is the truth. In theory the plot sounded like an intriguing one, but I think in order for it to have work, the book needed to be longer. With this book being only 98 pages there wasn't enough room for a good establishment of characters and plot background; personally I need a back story in order to be able to feel something for a particular novel and its characters (be it negative or positive ...more
Anise Rae
Erin Fanning's Blood Stitches brings a unique twist to the well-loved paranormal genre. Elements of Mayan mythology add freshness to the story, and Fanning's writing stands out, crisp and clean.

The book is surprising from the start. Creatures come out on Halloween and disrupt the heroine’s life, starting with a man dressed as a piece of candy corn. College student Gabby is suddenly thrust into a world of deeply hidden family secrets that she must uncover in order to save herself and her sister.
Paula
Oct 02, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing
I read this book for NetGalley.

What a charming and delightful knitting fiction book. Usually, I do not like knitting novels (I knit, and I also am not a big fan of formula writing in any genre, including the craft novel) due to the lack of imagination, exciting plot, formulaic characters and dialogue, etc. This book is refreshingly different in so many ways.

First of all, Ms. Fanning interweaves one of the most unusual mythologies, the Mayan, into this horror/YA novel. This is an exciting change
Mae Clair
Oct 11, 2015 Mae Clair rated it it was amazing
A vividly surreal excursion on Halloween. Gabby’s sister, Esperanza has been blessed with a power that allows her to knit magic into tapestries capable of destruction. When Gabby learns of a series of destructive knitting Esperanza has done, Gabby, her quasi-boyfriend, Frank, and a series of colorful characters embark on a journey to destroy the tapestries.

If you like bizarre settings with twists of the paranormal and horror, you’ll love this novel. The entire journey feels like a fantasy advent
A.S. Fenichel
Apr 22, 2015 A.S. Fenichel rated it really liked it
Blood Stitches is an intriguing story of magic and myth.

I loved the way the author found bits of Mayan mythology and wove it into the story. I really liked Frank, the “sort of” love interest and would have liked more of his feelings and thoughts in the book. Gabby spends a lot of time in her head, which is typical of women her age.

It’s a strange journey for two young people discovering the world and their feelings. It pushes the limits of reality, but in a good way. I think the NA crowd would e
Emily S.
Mar 20, 2015 Emily S. rated it really liked it
I love the creative concept of this book! Knitting causing disaster on a global scale? Knitting saving someone's life? Sounds incredible, but with Fanning weaving the story together with Mayan folklore it becomes believable, entertaining, and a fun read. This would be a great book any time, with a great cast of characters, but if you're looking for something to read to get you in the Halloween mood, this fits the bill.
Kelly Colleen
Apr 20, 2015 Kelly Colleen rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed Blood Stitches. I read it while attending an athletic event and even with all the commotion around me I became submersed. I could envision the surroundings and was vested in the characters. I cared about what happened to the alux twins and I was relieved that Gabby and Frank didn't just let them go. It flowed with such a good rhythm and had the right amount of mythology mixed in. And I'm really looking forward to the sequel!
Sandra Cox
Feb 15, 2015 Sandra Cox rated it it was amazing
In Blood Stitches, Fanning takes a unique topic and weaves it into a fun yarn. It has everything from magic tapestries to a man dressed as a candy corn. Things really start hopping when Gabby and her best friend Frank get spirited away to a demon ball where they must prevent an apocalyptic disaster. Want to kickback with an entertaining adventure? Try Blood Stitches.
P. T.
Jun 09, 2015 P. T. rated it it was amazing
The author stitched a very intriguing unusual tale with the premise of knitting evil into a tapestry. One immediately became enthralled with the story because of the antics of Mr. Candy Corn, Flame Boy, Xta, Tory, and Senor Caquix. Hopefully the author is knitting a sequel with the same memorable characters.
Cora Morgan
Jun 22, 2015 Cora Morgan rated it really liked it
Very imaginative book. Great descriptive writing. It was a novella and therefore a quick read. I don't usually read fantasy books, but I was pleasantly surprised to find I enjoyed this one. Looking forward to reading more from this author!
Brick Marlin
Mar 09, 2015 Brick Marlin rated it it was amazing
What a unique story! As a fan of horror and fantasy this entwines flavorable characters pulling you along a dark mystery of the tale until finalizing it in the end for the reader. Erin Fanning's writing is precise and to the point and quite engaging.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Blood Stitches is a crazy paranormal story filled with unique characters and non-stop action.

Opening Sentence: A gust of wind scattered leaves across the University of Seattle campus.

The Review:

Blood Stitches is filled with unique characters you don’t often find in paranormal stories. The story is highly influenced by Mayan gods, goddesses and superstition. Blood Stitches is a short story that is so jam packed with action that it kind of lac
Erin Fanning
Aug 03, 2015 Erin Fanning rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
penny shima glanz
penny shima glanz rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Kristie Elston
Kristie Elston rated it liked it
May 30, 2015
KnittingFiction
KnittingFiction rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Sitahiri
Sitahiri marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Brenda Demko
Brenda Demko marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Daniel Tfm
Daniel Tfm marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Lorraine Mannifield
Lorraine Mannifield marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Darlene Cruz
Darlene Cruz marked it as to-read
Teja
Teja marked it as to-read
Kati
Kati marked it as to-read
Karla Sceviour
Karla Sceviour marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Ash Rowe
Ash Rowe marked it as to-read
Sarah Miles
Sarah Miles marked it as to-read
Becca Gordon
Becca Gordon marked it as to-read
Tiffany Holme
Tiffany Holme marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Tammy  Dalley
Tammy Dalley marked it as to-read
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Laura DeLuca
Laura DeLuca marked it as to-read
Carl R.
Carl R. marked it as to-read
Tamera McIntosh
Tamera McIntosh marked it as to-read
Beppe DM
Beppe DM marked it as to-read
Patrick Siu
Patrick Siu marked it as to-read
Lindsay Fouts
Lindsay Fouts marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Misha Estrada
Misha Estrada marked it as to-read
Bonny McDevitt
Bonny McDevitt marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Erin Fanning splits her time between the mountains of central Idaho and the lakes of northern Michigan. She's the author of "The Curse of Blackhawk Bay" (Sam's Dot Publishing, 2008), "Mountain Biking Michigan" (Globe Pequot Press), and numerous short stories, articles, and essays.
More about Erin Fanning...