The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3)

The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  13,692 ratings  ·  179 reviews
David Brin's Uplift novels are among the most thrilling and extraordinary science fiction ever written.Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War--a New York Times bestseller--together make up one of the most beloved sagas of all time.Brin's tales are set in a future universe in which no species can reach sentience without being "uplifted" by a patron race.But the great...more
Mass Market Paperback, 638 pages
Published June 1st 1987 by Spectra (first published 1987)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
153rd out of 3,755 books — 14,700 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank HerbertAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyHyperion by Dan Simmons
Favorite Novels Which Won the Hugo Award
38th out of 67 books — 951 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan Baxter
Galactic civilization is balanced on a knife's edge. Power is gained by becoming patrons, gaining client races, uplifting them to sentience and starfaring, and having them as more or less indentured servants over hundreds of thousands of years. But then humans came on the scenes, "wolflings," who apparently bootstrapped themselves up into sentience, a feat thought to be impossible.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
Let’s get one thing straight. The Uplift War is not military science fiction. There is a war, yes, and there are some appropriately war-like moments, but the emphasis is, once again, on the ‘Uplift’ and not on the ‘War’. Arguably, one the greatest strengths of The Uplift War and its predecessors, is the alien element. Brin certainly went the whole hog when he was designing and imagining his Galactics. This is where these books shine. Each alien race has its own culture and corresponding cultural...more
Clouds

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and became
Stephen
4.0 stars. The continuation of the Uplift Saga began in the superb Startide Rising. Amazing world-building (rather universe building), a superb plot and peopled by fascinating characters and races. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Winner: Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Winner: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Nominee: Nebula Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Nominee: Prometheus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1988)
Nicholas Whyte

One of Brin's novels of the future universe where humanity has become part of a galactic culture of species Uplifting each other from pre-sapience to civilisation, homo sapiens being unique in that we achieved that status without external intervention.

The book is fun in a lot of ways - smart humans and chimps, and their allies, manage to overcome the prejudices and wishful thinking of the more nasty aliens. The most sympathetic male characters get to hav...more
Tatiana
These Uplift novels are getting better. This time I cared a lot more about the characters, and the writing seemed much smoother and less annoying. The author managed to go more than two or three pages sometimes between changes of viewpoint character, and the action was more streamlined and less choppy.

I loved the character of the ambassador's daughter Athaclena, and how she ended up leading the resistance forces. I liked her species, I liked their intuitive psi sense, the artistic glyphs they br...more
Tom
Maybe 4.25 stars? Not exactly as good as Startide Rising, but close. There was a lot to love about this book but also a little to be annoyed about.

Plot was fun, although sloooow at times. Fiben's adventures were the best part, for me. Fiben was an absolutely fantastic character (I think Brin has said that he's his favourite character from all his books). The chims overall were great, although I think I still prefer the fins from Startide Rising. The exploration of neo-chimpanzee culture was fasc...more
Anna
I’ve enjoyed all six of David Brin’s uplift novels but, in some ways, I wish I had read The Uplift War first instead of last. Sundiver, the first novel, was bit of a snooze for me and seemed disconnected from the rest of the series in time and space. I can disregard that one. The Uplift War is the second novel, and this is where the political landscape of the Five Galaxies is laid out. All of sentient life follows the protocol of Uplift established by the Progenitors, the semi-mythological origi...more
Eric
The third book in the Uplift trilogy but as with the other books you can just read each book as a stand-alone. Where the second book focuses on human/neo-dolphin interaction, this one is about humans and neo-chimpanzees, neo-chimpanzees being the other earth species humans 'uplifted'.

I like Brin's style, it's easy reading and I enjoyed it quite a bit more than a lot of the serious sci-fi that is out there. I'm wondering if I should focus more on sci-fi written 20+ years ago.

The Uplift trilogy...more
Ben Babcock
David Brin's Uplift Trilogy has not been the easiest series for me to read. I enjoyed Sundiver as a mystery set within a much larger universe. Brin left me hungry for more, but Startide Rising left me bitter and disappointed. What had started with so much potential seemed encumbered by flawed storylines and a myriad of unwanted characters. Hence, I was doubtful of The Uplift War's ability to mollify me.

While certainly superior to Startide Rising, The Uplift War lacks the central protagonist th...more
Dark-Draco
The third book in the series takes place around the same time as the previous one. The Gubru decide that the best way to make the dolphins of 'The Streaker' give up their secrets, is to take one of the Earth colonies hostage. They attack the planet, Garth, making sure that the humans are interred on islands and leaving only the chimpanzee clients free to carry on the work of the planet. Only they have misunderstood the bond between the two species. Soon, a guerilla force of chims, one lone huma...more
Chloe
I have to admit. I'm a little relieved to be done with this series. Wherever I would walk while reading either this book or its predecessor, Startide Rising, people would inevitably look at the cover, glance away quickly, then slowly look back, eyes questioning. "Is that...?" "Yes," I would answer, "those are chimpanzees. Yes, they're in space. No, I am not reading this on a dare." At the end of the day, regardless of how many awards this series has won (oodles), or how detailed and complex the...more
Stephanie
This is the final volume in the first Uplift War trilogy and it is the best of the three in my opinion. This book on the surface deals with one of the older galactic races - the Gubru - and their attempt to find the elusive pre-sentient Garthlings so they can sponsor them and one up Earth who they feel has not earned its patron status.

But it is so much more than that because Brin has woven the best and worst parts of humanity and by association aliens into the story. There are wheels within whee...more
Christy
Although the ideas about environmentalism and uplifted species are powerful and the universe that Brin creates is interesting, this book, like the previous two in the series, fails to deliver on its promise. Brin repeatedly raises huge questions about the universe, evolution, sentience, and ethics, and he repeatedly defers them in favor of a more limited plot structure (in the first book, he tells a mystery story; in the second book, he tells an adventure story; and in this book, he tells a stor...more
Josh
May 27, 2008 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
I had very high expectations for this book and was dissapointed that for the most part, they were not met. I loved Startide Rising. The pacing was fast, the action was plenty and the scope was incredible. The idea that a lone ship crewed mostly by dolphins had accidently happened upon a derelict fleet consinsting of thousands of moon-sized vessels was fascinating. That was the main reason I read on through Startide and then to Uplift War, to find out what exactly it was that they found.

Unfortun...more
Bart Everson
I would never recommend The Uplift War to my friends who are skeptical about science fiction. It has too many conventions peculiar to the genre. There are aliens of many races, psychic powers, galactic empires, robots, ray guns and spaceships that travel faster than light. It's all a bit much in a single book if you've never read science fiction before.

Furthermore, this is not an easy read. The pages are peppered with made-up alien words like lurrunanu and tu'fluk. There's also a sprinkling of o...more
Lamar Latrell
I really liked this one. The first was a tepid entry; it introduced novel concepts but told rather than showed—it was an action/adventure novel. The second was almost bad: the first half could have been condensed to a few chapters, and the totality of the book could have been a couple of chapters in this one—especially since the time scale from the second to the the third book was ostensibly weeks, while centuries passed between the first and second books.

This novel, on the other hand, really ma...more
Joe
This entire series is horrible. I read it years ago hoping it would get better. I like the alien designs but that is about it. Horrible plot in this one. If you doubt me, I just have to say three words: chimpanzee lap dance. I did NOT need to picture that, David Brin. Bleh.
Jonathan Bitgood
After the first time an uplifted chimp swore by the ancient and most sacred name of Jane Goodall... I was hooked. Fantastic book from start to finish. (Gotta have a lil' patience here and there though)
Ron
Not up to the quality of the first two Uplift novels. Brin telegraphed his punches so badly that the reader knew how it was going to turn out before the book was halfway done.
Chris
Guerilla warfare
Heh
Heh heh
Get it?
This book is pretty damn good, to summarize, due to the events of the previous novel Startide Rising (Which is reccomended, but not required reading for this one, mind you) various Alien races have declared war on mankind, and Humans inhabiting the planet Garth fall prey to the predations of the nasty Gburu race.

Central to the setting is the idea of ''uplift'', or a sentient race elevating animals to sapience using a long, slow process of selective breeding and g
Frank
After reading book two of the Uplift Saga, I was a little worried about The Uplift War, not that the previous book was lacking, though I did give Startide Rising only four stars.

The story focuses on a world called Garth, which humans have been given as caretakers. The major characters range from a neo-chim (Chimpanzee on it's path to uplifting), a human, and a alien from a race of jokers, which even their humor is quite different than humans. As the title suggests there's a war as well as othe...more
Jeff Stockett
Wow! This book was super awesome!

I love how David Brin is able to craft a story that is epic in proportion while still giving us characters that we can relate to and care about.

This book takes place on a completely different planet with completely different characters than the first 2 books in the trilogy. Yet, it still continues the same story and allows us to see how the events of Startide Rising had consequences that ripple throughout the galaxies.

I loved the characters in this book. I loved...more
Dylan Harris
I've just read David Brin's Uplift trilogy.

There are adventures that involved me, had me rooting for the heroes and wishing ill for the enemies. They're three good independent stories that are worth the read just for that.

But I want to comment on other matters, as usual. There's somethings about his world that need special mention. So this is the spoiler warning.

A couple of minor points first. Unfortunately, the old whore magic of Psi is important in the story. Yes, reading novels is about wish...more
Tim
The book was much more self-contained than the previous installments in the series. The characters introduced at the beginning of the book were all accounted for at the end of the book, and the conflict encountered in the book was resolved by the time the pages ran out.

The story itself was very interesting and well-done. Brin's imagination and his attention to details are exemplary, even if some of his foreshadowing comes off as weak since the reader doesn't have any intuition about the mind of...more
Tim Williams
It could ahve been a five but there were a couple things that put me off and pulled it down. To the point that I gave this a 4 and then changed it to a 3.

First - too long! This seriously could have used a little editting. Part of the too long was that the story sometiems meandered off on to paths that didn't add much to the story and frankly upset the pace.

The second thing that bothered me was some of the over-the-top behaviors of some characters. All the characters were fine in concept, but so...more
Kevin
David Brin's best characters are, curiously, always chimpanzees. Charles Dart of "Startide Rising", a self-involved academic, is perhaps my favorite character in all of science fiction, with "The Uplift War"'s Fiben Bolger, an ape of a more heroic mold, a close second.
My only carp about the book concerns the alien Athaclena's constant grappling with metaphors, a diversion which pays no dividends and at times grows head-smackingly literal, as when she engages in some fakeass mind-meld with anothe...more
Joe Martin
This is the concluding book in David Brin’s original Uplift trilogy. These stories take place in an imaginative universe.

All races in the Galaxy have been “uplifted” into sentience by a prior alien race, in a chain stretching back to the Progenitors. Humans have even uplifted dolphins and chimpanzees into sentience. But who uplifted humanity? This is a great mystery and the other races are antagonistic towards the “wolfing” human race, without patrons or lineage.

The last book, Startide Rising,...more
Lianne Burwell
Continuing my reread of the Uplift series.

The Uplift War is not a sequel to Startide Rising, it's more of a parallel story. While the Streaker is on the run, along with the secret of what they'd found, some of the Galactic races decided that instead of chasing the dolphin ship, they would attack Earth and it's colonies to force the humans to hand over the information that they don't actually have about the find.

On Garth, a planet that Earth got as a colony because the previous tenants had been r...more
Sean O'Brien
The third installment of David Brin's shared universe trilogy is the largest of the three, and in some ways, is the most ambitious. I quite liked the whole series, though I felt the second novel was the best of the three.

The Uplift War is a sprawling, multifaceted story that is at once grand and mundane in focus. Brin weaves the plans of galactic civilizations together with the individual stories of humans, aliens, and chimps. His novel is a mosaic of stories that come together to a grand finale...more
  • They'd Rather Be Right
  • Cyteen (Unionside, #2)
  • The Wanderer
  • A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2)
  • Dreamsnake
  • A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4)
  • Moving Mars
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1)
  • This Immortal
  • Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #2)
  • Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
  • Hominids (Neanderthal Parallax, #1)
  • Forever Peace (The Forever War, #2)
  • The Many-Coloured Land (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #1)
  • Timescape
  • The Integral Trees
  • Way Station
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends...more
More about David Brin...
Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) The Postman Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3) Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)

“Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.” 26 likes
“But there is one more reason to protect other species. One seldom if ever mentioned. Perhaps we are the first to talk and think and build and aspire, but we may not be the last. Others may follow us in this adventure. Some day we may be judged by just how well we served, when alone we were Earth’s caretakers.” 2 likes