Start by marking “Near Death on the High Seas: True Stories of Disaster and Survival” as Want to Read:
Near Death on the High Seas: True Stories of Disaster and Survival

Near Death on the High Seas: True Stories of Disaster and Survival

“The wind was blowing at hurricane strength-sixty-five knots and over-and increasing in the gusts to eighty knots. His boat was surfing on waves as high as a sixty-foot, six-storey building. . .Each wave that struck choked and froze him, the icy water working its way down inside his survival suit.” —from Close to the Wind by Pete Goss

In Near Death on the High Seas, Cecil K
Published March 11th 2008 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Near Death on the High Seas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Near Death on the High Seas

Alex Telander
Mar 16, 2008 Alex Telander rated it liked it
The sense of adventure is one facet of humanity, and while some choose to ignore it, others indulge in it: dabbling with the dangerous, playing with the portentous, and facing their fears. Near Death on the High Seas is a collection of real life stories about people who strive for thrill and adventure, through the medium they love: a boat and the open sea.

The book opens with an inspiring Foreword from the late William F. Buckley Jr.. Then the first story begins simply about a man and his boat. H
Mark
Nov 29, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of excerpts and short stories is the perfect ‘extreme nautical sampler’ and an excellent addition to any outdoor enthusiast’s book shelf. They are all about those who go to sea in small sailing boats.

Because the stories are penned first hand, a few are merely competently written but several are breathtaking. Some are excerpts from books and may pique the reader’s interest to learn the larger story of an exceptional sailor or dramatic race.

While words fail to convey the struggle,
Patti
Apr 05, 2013 Patti rated it liked it
I enjoy books about ships, but found this one to be simply "OK". It was mostly about people who have done solo races across the seas, although not all were solo. Some of the stories I found interesting, and some not so interesting. The fact that it took me months to finish it tells me that It was not as interesting as I would have liked. However, I did finally finish it!
Monica
Read the first three stories in here. Two of them were profound, one was fairly dull. I'd like to read more but, as I see that some are excerpts from longer books (such as Fastnet, Force 10), I'd rather read the whole book. I did write down the names of the authors of the first two stories, though, and will seek out their longer works.
Huan-hua
Aug 27, 2008 Huan-hua rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Too much nautical terminology, too many similar-sounding stories. "All happy families are alike" and apparently so, too, are all stories about getting lost at sea and almost drowning. The only one that really caught my attention was Kon-Tiki, which I've read before in its entirety.
Julie
Dec 07, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Oh, I just love this stuff. Wonder what it really feels like to be on a 50-foot wave in a wooden boat in the literal middle of the ocean.
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2014
John Pedersen
Apr 16, 2017 John Pedersen rated it liked it
Shelves: survival, sailing
A bit uneven, but there is good stuff here. Good survey for stories you might want to look into further.
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Jim George
Mother Nature can be scary.
Old Salt
Old Salt rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Anne Clougherty
Anne Clougherty rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Pangregor
Pangregor rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Ronald
Ronald rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Ron Alpert
Ron Alpert rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2009
Jeff Quiane
Jeff Quiane rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Jess
Jess added it
Apr 08, 2009
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2009
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2010
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Natalie Dow
Natalie Dow marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Jolissa Baker
Jolissa Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Skyfer
Skyfer marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Natalie Muilenberg
Natalie Muilenberg marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Elisha
Elisha added it
Mar 14, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Stephanie Guenther
Stephanie Guenther marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2016