Near Death on the High Seas: True Stories of Disaster and Survival

Near Death on the High Seas: True Stories of Disaster and Survival

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  7 reviews
“The wind was blowing at hurricane strength-sixty-five knots and over-and increasing in the gusts to eighty knots. His boat was surfing on waves as high as a sixty-foot, six-storey building. . .Each wave that struck choked and froze him, the icy water working its way down inside his survival suit.” —from Close to the Wind by Pete Goss

In Near Death on the High Seas, Cecil K...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2008)

Alex Telander
The sense of adventure is one facet of humanity, and while some choose to ignore it, others indulge in it: dabbling with the dangerous, playing with the portentous, and facing their fears. Near Death on the High Seas is a collection of real life stories about people who strive for thrill and adventure, through the medium they love: a boat and the open sea.

The book opens with an inspiring Foreword from the late William F. Buckley Jr.. Then the first story begins simply about a man and his boat. H...more
Mark
This collection of excerpts and short stories is the perfect ‘extreme nautical sampler’ and an excellent addition to any outdoor enthusiast’s book shelf. They are all about those who go to sea in small sailing boats.

Because the stories are penned first hand, a few are merely competently written but several are breathtaking. Some are excerpts from books and may pique the reader’s interest to learn the larger story of an exceptional sailor or dramatic race.

While words fail to convey the struggle,...more
Patti
I enjoy books about ships, but found this one to be simply "OK". It was mostly about people who have done solo races across the seas, although not all were solo. Some of the stories I found interesting, and some not so interesting. The fact that it took me months to finish it tells me that It was not as interesting as I would have liked. However, I did finally finish it!
Monica
Read the first three stories in here. Two of them were profound, one was fairly dull. I'd like to read more but, as I see that some are excerpts from longer books (such as Fastnet, Force 10), I'd rather read the whole book. I did write down the names of the authors of the first two stories, though, and will seek out their longer works.
Huan-hua
Too much nautical terminology, too many similar-sounding stories. "All happy families are alike" and apparently so, too, are all stories about getting lost at sea and almost drowning. The only one that really caught my attention was Kon-Tiki, which I've read before in its entirety.
Julie
Oh, I just love this stuff. Wonder what it really feels like to be on a 50-foot wave in a wooden boat in the literal middle of the ocean.
Jim George
Mother Nature can be scary.
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Natalie Dow
Natalie Dow marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Sherilyn Renee
Sherilyn Renee marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Kate Doom
Kate Doom marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Kate Shea
Kate Shea marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Near Death in the Mountains: True Stories of Disaster and Survival Lonely Planet on the Edge: Extreme Travel Wish You Weren't Here!: The Black Cat Anthology of Travel Humor Near Death in the Desert Near Death in the Arctic