Start by marking “To Asia with Love: A Connoisseurs Guide to Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam” as Want to Read:

Imagine that on the eve of your upcoming trip to Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam, you are invited to a party. At this party are fifty guests, all of whom live in or have traveled extensively through these countries. Among this eclectic and well-versed group of connoisseurs are authors of acclaimed guidebooks, popular newspaper columnists and pioneering adventurers. A ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Global Directions/Things Asian Press (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about To Asia with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Asia with Love

Dominic Neesam
Mar 31, 2015 Dominic Neesam rated it really liked it
In preparation for my trip to Thailand & Cambodia, this book really give you a feeling for the countries and their people. I still would have included maps.. but you can't have it all..
Andrew
Jan 18, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
This is a guidebook based more on travel literature than specific linear detail. Coupled with other more traditional forms of trip research, this does well to fill in the romance void.
Dec 19, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Terrible layout for a guidebook, but still has some pretty good info. We took the advice of one writer and went to Beng Melea when we were in Angkor, Cambodia and it was indeed the highlight of the trip. We would have never have found out about it otherwise. I basically figured out what cities we were going to and wrote down any info I thought we could use. It filled one sheet of paper. I would recommend you doing the same.
Lady3jane
Jul 22, 2007 Lady3jane rated it really liked it
Great travel stories and suggestions. We took a wonderful two day boat trip up the Mekong River in Laos after I read about it in this book. Good advice for the SE Asia traveller and great reading for the armchair traveller.
Nancy
Mar 11, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok
Disappointing travel book for me. Not really a guide, but a series of blurbs written by travelers there with their favorite restaurants, shops, etc. Hardly a practical book to take along.
Melenie Reiter
Jul 26, 2008 Melenie Reiter rated it liked it
Loved the recommendations for Som Tum and several other of my favorites from afar...."Soul Food" for me and a great read. Really took me back to Southeast Asia, my second home.
Jen Fumarolo
Nov 24, 2007 Jen Fumarolo marked it as to-read
I am ashamed to say I haven't read Kim & Julie's opus yet!
Kristen
Apr 13, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
If only every destination had a book like this...
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Karen L Franz
Karen L Franz rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Nephrael
Nephrael marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Lucy
Lucy added it
Jan 13, 2016
Dhivakar Janarthanan
Dhivakar Janarthanan is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Darko Doko
Darko Doko rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Nils Janson
Nils Janson rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Judith Babarsky
Judith Babarsky rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
John Allen
John Allen marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Brian Rothbart
Brian Rothbart rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Caroline Page
Caroline Page marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Netts
Netts rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
AS A GOODREADS READER: I only review books I like. I would rather recommend books that mean something to me than write about books that don't.

AS AN AUTHOR: Born in Seattle and raised throughout Washington State, I lived in Vietnam for four years and still travel to Southeast Asia frequently. A former independent bookseller, I'm the author of the historical novel "The Map of Lost Memories," an Edg
More about Kim Fay...