Start by marking “Maigret's Revolver” as Want to Read:
Maigret's Revolver

Maigret's Revolver (Maigret #40)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
After a frightened young man steals Maigret's revolver from his home and something macabre is discovered in a trunk at a railroad station, Maigret realizes that the young man will use the stolen gun to exact a measure of retribution.
Hardcover, Large Print, 222 pages
Published January 1st 1992 by G. K. Hall & Company (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret's Revolver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret's Revolver

Jon
May 31, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it
I haven't read a Maigret novel in nearly 30 years, so it was fun to be reacquainted with the characters. I especially liked this one, because for one long scene Maigret found himself stranded in the lobby of the Savoy Hotel in London, uncomfortable, unsure, out-of-place, feeling conspicuous, hungry, thirsty, and annoyed by people blithely speaking English as if it were normal. Since I always feel the same way in reverse in France, it warmed my heart. Typical economical story-telling with Maigret ...more
John
Aug 23, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's far too many years since last I read a Maigret. I enjoyed remaking his acquaintance enough that I plan to seek out a few more of these novels in the near future.

Maigret receives a call at the office from Mme Maigret, who tells him a strange young man has arrived at their apartment wishing to see him. He tells her he'll soon be home for lunch, but dallies along the way for a pastis or three and, by the time he arrives, finds that the young man has left -- taking with him the old souvenir rev
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Poor old Maigret. This just isn't his week. Everything goes wrong from the start, and it's none of his fault, but there we are--the price of fame.

Well, sort of. None of this would have happened if he'd gone home for lunch on time, instead of stopping off for a pastis or four with a workmate and getting home an hour late. If he'd been listening when Mme Maigret called him in some agitation, his revolver wouldn't have been stolen, and he wouldn't have found himself haring off to London to find the
Tony
Feb 04, 2009 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simenon, Georges. MAIGRET’S REVOLVER. (1952; U.S. – 1985). ****. While at work one morning, Maigret receives a call from his wife. She tells him that a young man is waiting at their apartment to meet with him when he comes home for lunch. As it turns out, Maigret is delayed – especially when he stops for a drink or two with friends. When he finally reaches his place, the young man has gone; also gone is his revolver which he had left on his mantel. The revolver was a gift from his FBI friends as ...more
russell barnes
Feb 05, 2016 russell barnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I'm rapidly realising Maigret novels just live in a bonkers parallel universe. One where crime novelists rather than hiding clues and scattering the text with red herrings for their sleuthing heroes to work out, indulge in lengthy discussions on food, hotels and the relatively fatale-ness of their chief femme instead, before voila! The case is solved. Sort of.

Not that this isn't brilliant of course, brilliant but bonkers. And who can argue with 143 pages which manage to pack in a murdered politi
Linda Howe Steiger
May 02, 2015 Linda Howe Steiger rated it really liked it
Up to par. (How many Maigret's are there? Couple hundred at least.) This time Maigret's up the proverbial creek when what looks to be a potential criminal lifts Maigret's gun, to use (M suspects) as a murder weapon. Explain that one to your boss... misunderstandings abound, and it's not what you think...
Sara
Mme. Maigret goofs and lets a distressed young man in to wait for Maigret, never suspecting that he will steal Maigret's Smith and Wesson and immediately buy ammunition for it. Why? There turns out to be a connection to Maigret's old friend Dr. Pardon, and following the trail leads Maigret to London, where he experiences culture clash, heat, and deprivation of food and drink, due to uncivilized pub closing laws! He endures, however, and eventually the plot is unraveled.
Along the way we meet sev
William
Jul 10, 2013 William rated it liked it
I read a couple of the Maigret series many years ago and had a neutral response, so I thought I would try another one, which I selected more or less at random at the local library.

My reaction has not changed. The best I can say for Simenon is that the books are okay, but no better than that. Maigret is fairly colorless, and can't hold a candle to Nero Wolfe or J. B. Adamsberg. The plot here is pretty simple, engaging enough to read, but lacking the kind of wit and detail which makes detective st
Jan
Oct 16, 2015 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maigret gaat naar Londen en voelt zich als een kat in een vreemd pakhuis.
Jill Hutchinson
Simenon's spare writing is one of the joys of his Maigret mysteries. In this book, the detective is searching for the young man who stole his revolver before it is used for mischief. A murder intervenes and Maigret ends up in London. This tale has an unusual twist as the murder and a blackmailer are not brought to justice although it appears that they will in the future. This is not one of my favorite Maigret's......it moves much slower than his usual stories and leaves some questions unanswered ...more
Concha Marcos
Mar 17, 2014 Concha Marcos rated it really liked it
El Maigret mas humano y Londres.
Justin  K. Rivers
The mystery in this novel isn't quite as interesting as some of the other Maigret's. It's a middle of the road Maigret, with a lot of waiting around and not much happening, mostly because the mystery rests not on the murder but on the behavior of a certain young man, and in the end the motivation and stakes aren't that high.
Andrew
Sep 17, 2012 Andrew added it
Super - M. visits friend for various french dinners- gets mixed up with a family involved with blackmail. the son 19 and wanting to kill the woman who ruined his father. M. must go london to stop him from doing that. Lots of london atmosphere waiting around to put the two together.
Hans Ostrom
Oct 23, 2010 Hans Ostrom rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Maigret novel, and consider it a place-holder for the 30-50 others that are available in translation, all wonderfully entertaining. Simenon is one of the geniuses of crime fiction. Maigret is a delight.
Mikee
Apr 30, 2014 Mikee rated it really liked it
Shelves: maigret, mystery, simenon
"Jules-Joseph Anthelme Maigret, to be sure!

A burglary, a robbery, blackmail, a murder … all in a day's work. It will all work itself out. No need for precipitate action."
Marie-Claude Bourque
Aug 26, 2012 Marie-Claude Bourque rated it it was amazing
Read it in French. Brilliant, as are all Maigret. Not sure how well the style translates in English
Arto
Arto added it
May 14, 2016
Ellyn
Ellyn marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Ellis
Ellis rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Cata Dunstan
Cata Dunstan rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Sun Wukong
Sun Wukong rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Scott Bailey
Scott Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Ephi Dardashti
Ephi Dardashti rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Key
Key rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Cobagibu
Cobagibu marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Anja
Anja is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2016
Flaminia Marchetti
Flaminia Marchetti marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Lotti
Lotti rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
  • Murder in the Central Committee (Pepe Carvalho, #5)
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos
  • More Beer
  • I Was Dora Suarez
  • Alexis ou le Traité du vain combat / Le Coup de grâce
  • Per cosa si uccide
  • The White Book (Le Livre Blanc)
  • L'étranger
  • Billy Budd, Sailor and Other Stories
  • Bloody Streets of Paris
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • Contes du lundi
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)