Start by marking “Hard Bodies” as Want to Read:
Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies

Life isn't easy for Eddie Grimboli. Marriage isn't easy. Winter isn't easy. Being fat isn't easy. He can see up his dad’s nightgown. There is strange magic up there. If he stares long enough, he will see his future. This book is a celebration of sloppiness, marriage, grief, love, and being naked.
Published November 18th 2014 by Atlatl Press (first published October 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Bodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Bodies

Matthew
Jan 10, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Hard Bodies was a great read! I read a lot of it while I was at "work" and it made me chuckle quite a bit. It also made me walk around with a funny smirk on my face. I appreciate Grimbol's sense of humor and his talk about smelly women with hairy "rowdy" armpits is hilarious. Hopefully they'll make this book into a movie so we can all enjoy a visual of his Dad in a nightgown showing off ball cleavage. It seems like he has a pretty cool relationship with his wife and they'd probably be fun to ...more
Grant Wamack
Nov 23, 2014 Grant Wamack rated it it was amazing
Hard Bodies is Justin Grimbol’s latest book and my second encounter with his fiction. I read his New Bizarro Author series debut Crud Masters during my second deployment and it was pretty damn good.

I came into this expecting some weirdness, but this isn’t really bizarro at all. I’m actually hesitant to slap any label on this. It’s about a married couple who truly love one another, but we follow them as they basically live life.

The deceptively simple prose was right up my alley and I never found
Rodney
Nov 09, 2015 Rodney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: atlatl
I laughed a lot while reading this one. Justin Grimbol is the best at making what at first may seem like a book about the customary, commonplace life for the characters so much more. Not only is actually reading his work so much more fun than that, there is heart and soul in spades. He will not wow you with extremely dramatic prose or grandiose narratives. It is just great stuff that anyone who is not an uptight, conventional type can really enjoy. The love that the two main characters feel for ...more
Sauda Namir
Aug 11, 2015 Sauda Namir rated it really liked it
I cracked the cover, and devoured Hard Bodies in one sitting. I never complete anything in one go. This is without a doubt some of the most honest writing I've ever had the pleasure to consume. A delightfully fitful winter with the Grimbols is exactly what you would expect to get: food, friends, fights, and a heaping helping of butts.
Pedro Proença
Dec 17, 2014 Pedro Proença rated it it was amazing
Shelves: atlatl-press
I wish for a world on which we get at least three Justin Grimbol books a year. I just love his work so much. They celebrate life, and being fat, and loving licking butts. His books make my laugh out loud, make my cry, make me happy. I can't get enough of Justin Grimbol.
Brian Alan Ellis
Sep 06, 2015 Brian Alan Ellis rated it it was amazing
Originally gave this book four stars but I’m going to have to bump it up to five because Justin Grimbol manages to capture a feeling/vibe/whatever that’s so rare in literature today and that I’ve personally tried capturing and that few others have managed to capture, which is basically an enjoyable, no bullshit take on the mundane lives of regular people. Like, for real. Where nothing extraordinary happens. Almost at all. Eddie Grimboli, who watches rom-coms and has a butt-sniffing fetish, lives ...more
M.C. O'Neill
Dec 02, 2014 M.C. O'Neill rated it it was amazing
Imagine Harvey Pekar having fun as filtered by the abject humor of R. Crumb put to prose. This winter-in-the-life examination of the Grimbol Clan is a refreshing foray into alt-lit by the author of "Party Lords". A confessional, semi-auto-bio that doesn't hold back, nor does it treat the reader to a dirge as many works in this genre are wont to do. Sure, it's gross, but then again, that's Grimbol and fans of his work would not expect it any other way. This novel is a hardbodied, hot romp from ...more
M.P. Johnson
Nov 03, 2014 M.P. Johnson rated it it was amazing
A Joyous Celebration Of Life

And stinky butts and underboob sweat and all that other good stuff. Seriously though, this book is just about basic life stuff. Living in Wisconsin. Doing goofy stuff with the wife. Dad's nightgowns that reveal plenty of ball cleavage. But it's so posi and fun and, yeah, kinda joyous even. I feel like most books like this are filled with stupid, boring angst, which strikes me as far less true than fart jokes and beards full of jello shots. This book made me laugh a lo
Brandy
Feb 17, 2015 Brandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I received this book in a giveaway in return for an honest review.

Butts. Balls. Yep, this book has it all haha! I couldn't help but laugh at each chapter and want to read more. He makes some things that others find repulsive sound absolutely sexy and I'm impressed haha! Can't wait to read more by this author.
John Bruni
Aug 11, 2015 John Bruni rated it it was amazing
Here is further proof that you just can't go wrong with Grimbol. No one else can take spousal arguments, dirty sex and constant drinking into a heartwarming tale of depression. Sprinkle in some SF references, and it's perfect. I love Grimbol's sense of kindly perversion, and I don't think I could ever grow weary of his voice. If you've been around the block a few times, this is the book for you.
Frank
Apr 09, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it
What is this? Is this Bizarro? Is it autobiography? Is it essay as punishment? Its fucking fun to read is what it is! Why ask what when you can just read it and let it all wash upon you.

Justin Grimbol enjoys smelling butts. That's all the reason you need to pick up this book.
Nathaniel Tower
Dec 29, 2014 Nathaniel Tower rated it it was amazing
Hard Bodies is the sexiest thing you will read this year. Or next year. Or last year, if you build a time machine. Justin Grimbol is a master storyteller without using all that bogus literary storytelling garbage. If you can read this without laughing, then you shouldn't be allowed to read. Unless you physically can't laugh. Then keep reading.

My only complaint is that reading this tale of Eddie Grimboli's life makes me realize I haven't even lived yet.
Amy
Dec 27, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
Perhaps I am just getting old or maybe I'm not smart enough but I just didn't see the humor in this book. While Grimbol certainly writes believable characters, learning about someone's fondness for his wife's butt just didn't have much allure for me. Having said that I did read the entire book but I may have just been hoping to figure it out.

I received this book as part of the good reads giveaway.
Michael Allen Rose
Michael Allen Rose rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Ju$tin
Ju$tin rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Misery
Misery rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Dustin Covan
Dustin Covan rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
C.V. Hunt
C.V. Hunt rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Bradley
Bradley rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Nick Leden
Nick Leden rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Jon R. Meyers
Jon R. Meyers rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Tiffany Scandal
Tiffany Scandal rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Daniel Vlasaty
Daniel Vlasaty rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Justin Grimbol
Oct 22, 2014 Justin Grimbol rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jason Hodge
Jason Hodge rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Mandy
Mandy rated it it was ok
May 19, 2016
Mike Clark
Mike Clark rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Andersen Prunty
Andersen Prunty rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Ashley Hall
Ashley Hall rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Justin Grimbol moves around a lot.
More about Justin Grimbol...