Pursuit

Pursuit

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  489 ratings  ·  40 reviews
“Perry is the best suspense writer in the business. . . . Pursuit is relentless, filled with twists and turns, that rare page-turner that keeps one reading late into the night to finish.”
–The Boston Globe

Thirteen bodies are found in a Louisville restaurant. When the police can find no suspect or motive, a victim’s family seeks the services of the enigmatic and solitary spe...more
Published February 14th 2006 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pursuit

Leon Aldrich
Everyone has their own flavors for novels, so I understand why some rate this novel with one star. But in fairness, when I look over the bookshelves of the reviewer, invariably they haven't read much of the genre they are reviewing. I don't see any Parker, Connelly, Sanford, Lee, or Baldacci. Just to name a few. In short, they aren't qualified to rate a novel with one star unless they can back it up with a list of novels at least slightly superior.

It drives me ape-shit bonkers to see reviews lik...more
April
Pursuit was a great suspense novel. It's basically a story of two professional hit men going toe to toe. Both are great at what they do and it's fascinating to see how they go about trying to outsmart the other one.

The story starts out with a shooting in a restaurant. A former cop/homicide expert is in town for a talk and the local cops give him a call just to get his take on the crime. He walks through the scene and determines that it's not some random crime but instead a professional that was...more
Scott Parsons
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel by Thomas Perry whom I have recently rediscovered after a long hiatus. It pits killer John Varney against pursuer Roy Prescott. Exceptionally well written. We kind of know how it will end but Varney has more lives than a cat and many tricks up his sleeve. Varney and Prescott are both guns for hire but Prescott is on the side of good in tracking down a murderer even if he too leaves a few bodies in his wake. Recommended but not for goody-two-shoes types.
Nicole
Overal: I found this book to read like a roller coaster. There were some excellent high points. But, the low points dragged on and on and on. At the highs, the author had you captivated about the plot; the characters. But, then he'd take off into endless chapters and chapters of background information. It did nothing to enhance the plot and/or characters. All it did for me was slow down the storyline and force me to put the book down because I was losing interest.
Gary Sedivy
Perry does not usually write with two-person point of view. In this, both protagonists' thoughts, feelings, and plans are shown. I don't think it worked as well as some of the Jane Whitefield novels. The action was decently presented. The preparations Prescott made were elaborate, but little time was spent in the story letting you see how he did it, not even a hint. Varney, the bad guy, got in situations set up for him by Prescott, and you went through the set-up and action with Varney, not know...more
L.A.Weekly
In the latest LA Weekly Literary Supplement, Thomas Perry wrote an essay In a Jam: How Suspense Keeps the Novel on Edge.

Here's the first part:

Suspense isn’t a pleasant sensation. We go to great lengths to manage our lives in ways that will keep us from having to go through periods of uncertainty — particularly when it’s prolonged, and when the stakes are high. But in reading fiction, especially a novel, we crave this sensation of increasing tension, and the higher the stakes, the better. We love...more
Magic Mary Austin
This was my first Thomas Perry novel and probably my last. Without a doubt the author writes well, and adds a bit of suspense now and then. For me there were too many pages of past history detail that did not seem to help move this story line along.
Chanda
I didn't really read this book, I would say I endured it. This one had the distinct feeling of a suspense/psychological thriller relayed in deadpan. Droning on and on and then the conclusion wraps everything up neat as pin in less than a chapter. I found myself wondering at what stage in his career the author was in when he produced this. There were moments when you could tell he thought he was on a roll in a descriptive sense. He carries on about the look of a person or a street and then the 'b...more
Kinga
It was dry and unemotional. The story itself was detailed and well thought out - yet I did not find it enjoyable. The only thing that makes me smile as I think about the book is the author's need to darken and soil the character of one of the minor female characters just before she is murdered by the story's psychopath. It seems that he (Thomas Perry) did not want to cause undue agitation to the average reader by killing off a character who has become familiar to them. So she ends up mentally re...more
Christy
Started out slow, with a lot of detail that made me think I wouldn't get through it, bit it picked up and, just like all his other books, kept me hooked till the end
Jim
I'm about 1/5 into this book and I don't really care about any of it. I just don't care. I picked this one up at the library to give the Author a second chance - his other book (STRIP) that I recently finished was good - but it got hard to follow about 1/2 way thru due to the dozen characters with similar names. This time, I'm not sure I'll ever find out how many characters emerge...because I don't see myself finishing it.

I put it aside the day I started it and have read a different book complet...more
Eduardo
good meets very bad
Rob
A massacre in a family restaurant. The police investigating the crime finds very little evidence that could lead them to the killer. The wealthy father of one of the victims wants revenge. What better way than to hire a killer to catch a killer.
The book narrates the evolution of Varney, theserial killer for hire - none of them was meant to elicit sympathy for him; but very little is explained about Roy Prescott, and what little there was, was intended to point out the guy wearing the white hat.
Joanne
While I like Thomas Perry, this is one of his weaker efforts - at least from my female point of view. Like the title suggests, the hero pursues the hitman, completely unhinging the previously perfect killer. That in itself was unbelievable, as was the fact that they end of across the river from eachother for months. The book is about 100 pages too long, with insignifcant scenes and an almost never ending pursuit. If you want macho, this if for you. If not, pass.
Jeanne
This story was a thriller from the very beginning!! I listen to these audio books in my car and can say this one kept me in the car when arriving at my destination to listen to "just one more track"!! Another great recommendation from a friend--have not been disappointed with any suggested "reads". The end was a bit anti-climatic for me after all the action, but still a great story!! Definitely a 10 out of 10 for me.
Kristy
You know, every once in awhile you just want to read a thriller. Bad guy does bad things, good guy chases him down. This one was a little different from that. Roy Prescott, the guy hired to chase down the bad guy, isn't quite a good guy. He's so used to getting into these guys' heads to follow them that you can tell it's affected him. But, Prescott is good at what he does and it makes the book enjoyable.
Pamela Gibson
Halfway through the book and I still can't tell who will win. He moves the reader into the minds of his characters better than any other modern suspense writer. Probably not a good one to read at Halloween, or any time you're feeling paranoid...Finished and have reread twice. It still produces tension, even though I know who dunnit.
DWGibb
What sets one hit man apart from another? In this case, one is a serial killer for hire, the other a serial killer who is hired to get a hit on the first. Their shared experience puts both of them into the same thought matrix. This commonality makes the "pursuit" much more sophisticated and intriguing.
Susan
This guy can really craft a story and Pursuit is another great one. It's a stand alone - not part of a series. Circumstances here pit one assassin in pursuit of another and it's fascinating. Who will make the first mistake? Only Perry could pull this off convincingly and he really does.
C
Aug 25, 2008 C rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: for-fun
Full of explanations about how people do things like cover their tracks or find people or clues, but not nearly enough about the people who do these things, and if, as a reader, I don't care about the people who do these things, I don't care.

Not great, just ok...maybe barely ok.
Cari
Perry never fails to keep me hanging on every word and this novel was no exception. The chase of a professional killer by a man just-this-side of the same same coin lead all over the country and to some nail-biting on my part. Great for anyone who enjoys suspense!
Kate
Sep 18, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Child/Harris/King fans
My first Thomas Perry book so maybe that's why it's still my favorite. Honestly I enjoyed the chapters with the cold blooded hitman more than the protaganist chapters- he's THAT creepy and smart. Taut believable story and a pretty quick read!
Pat Lampe
I love Thomas Perry's books. I'm glad I didn't discover him until 2010 because I spent many happy hours catching up. His books remind me of Elmore Leonard, Donald Westlake, Ed McBain. Well written and thoroughly enjoyable.
Icicle4
Thomas Perry is a decent thriller writer who has written a number of good books. This one is no exception. I'm surprised he isn't more popular; this book was kind of like an older (good) Lee Child book.
Chuck
An intricate, detailed story of the pursuit by a hired gun of the
murderer of thirteen people in a Louisville restaurant. Not a quick,
easy read but a good story.
Mary
I read this book some time ago. Now I am listening to it. I always like Perry's books. This one is more of a character study -- two killers, but with different ethics.
This book gets you right from the beginning. I really enjoyed the cat & mouse, back & forth action between Prescott & Varney. Top marks, great reading!
A
Although I enjoyed the book, I didn't become really "into" it until well into the book. It was a different type of thriller than I usually read.
Kelly
It was a very good book, I figured it out too fast. So I moved to other authors. I would like to be stumped, jaw drop, or a big intake of breath.
Tim
This is one of the best chase stories I’ve had the pleasure to come across. Well worth the read or cd. 10 of 10 stars for this thriller!
  • A Bomb Built in Hell
  • He Who Whispers (Dr. Gideon Fell, #16)
  • The Glitter Dome
  • Manhattan Nocturne
  • The Empress File (Kidd & LuEllen, #2)
  • A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2)
  • The Khmer Kill: A Dox Short Story
  • The Winter of Frankie Machine
  • L.A. Outlaws (Charlie Hood, #1)
  • Most Secret
  • Heartwood (Billy Bob Holland, #2)
  • God Save the Mark
  • Suspicion
  • The Vulture Fund
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • North of Havana
  • Deadly Blessings (An Alex St. James Mystery #1)
  • Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16)
Thomas Perry was born in Tonawanda, New York in 1947. He received a B.A. from Cornell University in 1969 and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rochester in 1974. He has worked as a park maintenance man, factory laborer, commercial fisherman, university administrator and teacher, and a writer and producer of prime time network television shows. He lives in Southern California with his wife...more
More about Thomas Perry...
Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1) The Butcher's Boy (Butcher's Boy, #1) Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2) Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3) The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4)