Start by marking “I'll Be Short: Essential Ideas for Getting America to Work” as Want to Read:
I'll Be Short: Essential Ideas for Getting America to Work

I'll Be Short: Essential Ideas for Getting America to Work

"I don't like the basic philosophy that everyone is on their own, out for themselves, a kind of social Darwinism. It's bad for society, especially now. . . . Call me crotchety, but I can't help asking, whatever happened to the social contract?"
With his characteristic humor, humanity, and candor, one of the nation's most distinguished advocates for working--and middle--cla
Published May 2nd 2002 by Beacon Press (MA) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Be Short, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Be Short

Steve Ginsburg
Jan 24, 2008 Steve Ginsburg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to return it to the library before i finished it but it was going great

it is short and very layman

i recommend it

i need to get back and check it out again
Carol
Jan 16, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Written in 2002 at the start of the Bush years and before the economic meltdown, it's now easy to see his warnings were spot on. But rather than set aside this book as 'old news', it's worth a read -- his message is even more relevant today. Businesses have civic responsibility, widening income gap is corrosive, and our involvement, rather than resignaton, is key.

Plus, any guy under 5 ft. tall with the guts/humor to call his book "I'll Be Short" deserves a bit of attention.
Jeffrey
Feb 24, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was ok
I have always admired and enjoyed listening to Robert Reich. He is a thinker and is thoughtful in his opinions. Unfortunately his opinions are that of a liberal minded person that view humans behavior under the lens of how they should act, not how they naturally act.

Public policy should bot be based on theories and ideals, but in my view on cause and effect. This is where Mr. Reich and I part company. So why do I read such books? As they say keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Marian
You know a book has a sense of humor when the 4'10" author titles it "i'll be short". savvy thoughtful and quick... it is a good place to start a broader look at modern working class structures. he might not advocate revolution but he definitely would revolutionize modern working conditions and general labor policy.
Jay
Nov 17, 2008 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was short, so not a lot of details or tough arguments, but basically says we should be working together and it would better us all. I like Reich's liberal ideas and vision but it's easy to agree what is wrong and what could be better, today I want ideas and answers for how to get there. Maybe his other (thicker) book, Supercapitalism, should be my next read.
Paul
Aug 05, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Reich for President. Or, better yet, for Congress, a Congress of one. Then maybe all the things wrong with our country would get fixed. Mr. Reich describes some of the solutions to the problems George Packer identifies in "The Unwinding." The work is very prescient. Read it in conjunction with Mr. Reich's movie "Inequality for All."
Will Byrnes
Oct 25, 2008 Will Byrnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reich has knowledge and experience far out of proportion to his diminutive stature. Reich sees the growing economic distance between the uppers and the rest of us. He offers wisdom, solutions and a decent measure of humor. This is a guy who is worth hearing.
Christopher Mezzetta
Quick read. Reich in a nutshell. Innovative ideas on rebuilding the work force and how American can succeed again. A little dated as written pre- or immediately post 9/11 during the darkest depths the Bush presidency when it looked like hope had died forever.
Kate
Oct 15, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently in love with Robert Reich, so I'm just gobbling up all he has to say. While I don't agree with all of it, I find him a very engaging speaker and writer.
Timothy McCluskey
Timothy McCluskey rated it liked it
May 30, 2009
Courtney Childs
Courtney Childs rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Anushka
Anushka rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2007
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2011
Greg
Greg rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Pamela Conley
Pamela Conley rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Shai
Shai rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Husnain Bajwa
Husnain Bajwa rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Tom McMeekin
Tom McMeekin rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2011
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Barbara Dyer-Bennet
Barbara Dyer-Bennet rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Skippy
Skippy rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
Nathan Buhr
Nathan Buhr rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Silvia
Silvia rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2016
Eric Leuliette
Eric Leuliette rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy
  • Answers to Distraction
  • The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000
  • Theories of Surplus Value
  • Supreme Injustice
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • Beyond Belief to Convictions
  • Reaching for Glory: Lyndon Johnson's Secret White House Tapes 1964-65
  • Hell to Pay: The Unfolding Story of Hillary Rodham
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • Jealousy
  • The Curious Researcher: A Guide to Writing Research Papers
Robert Bernard Reich is an American politician, academic, and political commentator. He served as Secretary of Labor under President Bill Clinton from 1993 to 1997. Reich is a former Harvard University professor and the former Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University. He is currently a professor at the Un ...more
More about Robert B. Reich...