Start by marking “Repent” as Want to Read:
Repent

Repent

When Munich businessman Ben Biller receives a mysterious note on his thirty-eighth birthday demanding that he repent for his sins by committing suicide, he dismisses it as a cruel joke. But when his life begins to unravel—he loses his dog, his girlfriend, his job, and his house in quick succession—he suspects that it’s more than a joke: someone is attempting to ...more
Published May 1st 2015 by AmazonCrossing (first published November 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Repent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Repent

Sue1958
May 23, 2015 Sue1958 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I found this a quick read, not exciting, but not dull enough to put down. It still had something going for it, however, I have to be honest, its not a story that hasn't been done before and the suspense was not making much of an impression on me. I feel the author should have jazzed it up about with some question mark happenings that keep the reader is more of a wonderment, I just thought it lacked something.

So for my personal taste I can only give it 3 as it was just an OK read for me and not
Sue1958
May 23, 2015 Sue1958 rated it liked it

Anne Martin
May 09, 2015 Anne Martin rated it it was ok
I was expecting a lot better. Of course, the blurb does not help -you know just bout everything that is going to happen, but the story itself is not brilliant and has been used too many times. Yes, a quick read because it is not enjoyable.
Nikki Sciarrino
May 14, 2015 Nikki Sciarrino rated it liked it
I liked this book. The story was quick paced, interesting, and uncomplicated enough to make it easy to follow. I would have liked to have seen more introspection of the villain as I found it difficult to understand the lengths he would go to in order to prove his point. Not that he didn't have his reasons, I just think it would have been nice to have more details.

Bill was a mostly likable character. The reader does feel sorry for him when his life is falling to pieces. He isn't necessarily a bad
Brian E. Spivey
Jun 15, 2015 Brian E. Spivey rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A well crafted tale of revenge and suspense and true love. Jakob has taken it upon himself to right the wrongs he feels he has been forced to endure by forcing his tormentors to ruin and suicide. Ben is his third victim, and after Jakob engineers the loss of Ben's dog, job, finances, girlfriend, and finally the destruction of his home by fire, Jakob decides the final blow to push his victim to suicide should be
Elisa
May 11, 2015 Elisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Amazon Publishing!
Repent tells the story of Ben Biller, a successful businessman whose life unravels after receiving a note pressing him to commit suicide to atone for his sins. Ben is not a very likable character and at first it is hard to sympathize with him. The fact that he was physically abusive to a woman in the past made it hard for me to like him. The fact that he keeps doing so, made me think
May 26, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
An OK read for fans of mystery/suspense. Explicit violence and sexual activity mentioned.
I think it was overwritten at times (though I wonder if that has something to do with the fact it was translated into English). I laughed out loud when the target of the killer thinks to himself "Forward!". It seemed goofy, out of place and out of character.
The ends were tied up too quickly and easily to really be believable, but nonetheless I didn't feel reading this was time wasted. This fit the bill for
John Wheeles
Aug 12, 2015 John Wheeles rated it it was amazing
A psychopath who destroys peoples lives, driving them to suicide... what an intriguing idea for a book! So, I had to immerse myself in the story. I'm very glad I did, this book is so well written. The villain is deliciously horrible, and meticulously cunning. The trials heaped on the main character seem insurmountable, but you can't help finding yourself rooting for him. Pick up a copy and find yourself hooked. I have only one criticism of this book... it had to end!!!
Kim
May 13, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Wow this book sucked me right in and forced me to read it all in one sitting. Lisa Fink's English language debut is utterly captivating and actually terrifying.

This book brought up questions about how easy it is to manipulate someone else's life and when you think about that it's downright scary. I look forward to reading more by this author, she has a great writing style.
Ann
May 09, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing
​Repent is a psychological thriller. To me it also a horror story. Imagining how one's life can be completely undone in just a few short days is beyond scary! Originally published in German the translator did an excellent job of putting the story into English. I was given a copy to review.
Pamela Lambert
Jul 24, 2015 Pamela Lambert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too dark!

I couldn't get past 10% because who wants to read about sinister beings with no depth or goodness in them? If you appreciate multi-layered characters you can feel compassion with, you won't find them here.
Conor Flaherty
Jul 26, 2015 Conor Flaherty rated it it was ok
Let's play count the tropes:

-Overly strict catholic mother
-Businessman who has no friends and everyone hates him because he has no time for anything but BUSINESS
-That female character with the tough exterior? She's really a sweetheart inside!

I gave up halfway through out of sheer frustration.
Rebecca Willetts
May 03, 2015 Rebecca Willetts rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed it. Almost didn't read it as read a lot of bad reviews. It was a quick and easy read which is what I was looking for. It had love and suspense and a protagonist who you loved and hated in equal measure.
Kate Daysh
Jul 05, 2016 Kate Daysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this down!

I thought this book had quite an interesting story, it was quite disturbing at times but I'm glad it finished the way I wanted it to. Lovely moral to it too.
Patrick
Jan 21, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das Ende des Buches hätte ich mir ein bisschen schöner und ausgeschmückter gewünscht. Sonst sehr spannend.
Trina
May 09, 2015 Trina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc, kindle
I received this arc from Netgalley.

This book was nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. Overall a passable read, nothing special.
Stephanie
Nov 22, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This dark thriller was a quick read. I did enjoy it. This is the kind of story I would love to see made into a movie.
john ward
Jul 13, 2015 john ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and profound

Excellent read throughout the read I never lost interest. The. Book has a wonderful steady
.flow. Characters were quite real.
bibiana perdomo
Jun 06, 2015 bibiana perdomo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non stop page Turner

Picked this book by chance and I could not put it down until the very end. I highly recommend it.
Laura rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Olevia Torrez
Olevia Torrez rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Vikki Cornish
Vikki Cornish rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Stacey Deery
Stacey Deery rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Ann Marie
Ann Marie rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2015
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Ingrid Hickman
Ingrid Hickman rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Laura JP
Laura JP rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
James Lynam
James Lynam rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • East of Innocence (Daniel Connell, #1)
  • Shattered (Shade, #3.5)
  • The Shadow Cartel (Dominic Grey #4)
  • Nashville oder Das Wolfsspiel
  • Dybt at falde (Dan Sommerdahl, #1)
  • Vertraute Gefahr (Hunter, #1)
  • Iron Gustav: A Berlin Family Chronicle
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • The Tutor (Harlequin Blaze, #552)
  • To Teach an Ancient God
  • Cockeyed (Donald Strachey, #11)
  • How to Rescue a Dead Princess
  • Die Stunde der Erben
  • Yule Be Mine (Harlequin Blaze, #436)
  • Packing Heat (Action, #6)
  • Linksaufsteher: Ein Montagsroman
  • Julia's Knight (Lovers of Alpha Squad, #3)
  • No Holding Back (The Garrisons, #1)