Start by marking “Paris-Underground” as Want to Read:
Paris-Underground

Paris-Underground

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  21 reviews
True story of two middle-aged women, an American (author Etta Shiber) and an Englishwoman (her friend Kitty Beaurepos), who live together in Paris. When the Nazis invade the city in the summer of 1940, Kitty and Etta begin working with the French Resistance to help English soldiers, left behind in France after its surrender, escape to freedom.
Published October 1st 1988 by Time Life Medical (first published January 1st 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Paris-Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paris-Underground

Barbara Mader
Re-read March 2013.
------

Originally read April 2012.

Downloaded as a free ebook from Barnes & Noble.

I found this book incredibly gripping; I began reading in the evening, read until the wee hours, and picked it up again as soon as I could. It's not the quality of the writing that held me, but the unfolding of events.

This book, published in 1943, is an autobiographical account of a middle-aged American woman (Etta Shiber) living in Paris in the 1930s. After her husband died, she left Manhattan
James
A small sliver of the French Resistance, told from the perspective of a respectable, middle-aged American woman who's settled in Paris after the death of her husband. Her housemate is British, and after a failed attempt to flee the Nazi invasion, they find themselves part of a conspiracy to smuggle British soldiers out of the country.

What starts with one airman impulsively hidden in their trunk becomes a far-flung operation. They collaborate with French partners, including a country priest who g
Isabel Batteria
I usually get rid of books after I'm done with them. I mean, why would I accumulate objects I know I won't use ever again, right? But I have an "untouchables" shelf, where I keep only 30 books or so that I am sure I'd like to reread sometime.

This book is in that shelf. I read this book some 10 years ago and would gladly read it again. It's ranked in my top-ten books that have made my heart race... literally.

This Smithsonian article is a summary of Mrs. Shiber's story. Enjoy!
Rachel
(SPOILER ALERT) What a story. Etta Shiber (an American) recounts her days as a prisoner in France. When she moves into an apartment with her good friend Kitty (an Englishwoman who married a Frenchman), the two women find themselves in a predicament as German forces begin to overtake Paris. The Vichy government has made a narrow escape while leaving French civilians to fend for themselves as they flee the Nazis. Kitty and Etta join the mass exodus along the highway of Paris, attempting to hightai ...more
Jen
An amazing true story about two brave women who helped smuggle English soldiers out of Paris after the Nazis invaded. This is one of the best books I've read, I could hardly put it down.
Talia
Jun 10, 2012 Talia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I came across a description of this book somewhere on the internet. It piqued my interested so I decided to read it. I couldn't put it down. It's a wonderful book, an easy read, and Etta's writing style, the characters, and the events keep you interested the entire time. It gives you a look into the justice system of the Nazi's and makes you appreciate what you have. I plan on reading this again.
Erin
Incredibly readable and TRUE tale of one Englishwoman and her American best friend who smuggled English soldiers to unoccupied territory from Nazi-ruled Paris. One of their bases was on the street I lived in while I studied there -- awesome.
An amazing story of an American and a British woman, who while living as roommates in WWII France, help save the lives of dozens of Allied troops as they help them escape Nazi occupied Paris. Written by the American.
Maria
This was a courageous, tragic, and mesmerizing book--A page turner from the beginning. Those interested in WWII first hand accounts may find this book to be more than worthwhile.
David Leroy
This is a great book, and written just after the experience. It gives a realistic look at just what life was like in Paris during the occupation, the dangers, and the temptations.
Camilla
we are reading this for our second book club at my house. let me know if you are interested in joining the book club. as we are all 21st century, we can also skype in members :)
Marilyn Litt
One of that interesting genre of books written close to WWII by participants in the underground. I would like to know more about this woman.
Marti
This is my favorite book!! A true story about two fifty-ish women in Paris when the Germans invade. Read what they do! Incredible!\
Andy Jasso
I love this book!! Everyone should read it!! seriously it gets you on your feet with excitement!!!

READ IT,
~ Andy
Cindy Ries
This is one of my all time favorite books. It is amazing the things a human being can go through and survive.
Janet Romanowicz nurisso
it's a great memoir of a woman in Paris during WWII -- can be downloaded for free
Rhonda
This is and will always be one of my top favorite books.
Suecha
Unbelievably moving story- easy to read and very memorable.
Evert Eliasson
Time-Life Books. Classics of World War II: The Secret War.
Ginger Acopiado
Reread over and over in my 20's. So good
Melissa
Excellent true story from World War II!!!
Dipanjan
Dipanjan marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Baco
Baco marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Kasia Tallent
Kasia Tallent marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Hanne-col
Hanne-col marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: Paris Underground 3 16 Feb 08, 2014 01:12PM